Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Credible Financial Site Ranks Miami 2nd Worst-Run City In US

It is labeled that way, but it includes West Palm Beach as well. It is Jupiter to Homestead . . . and that is the area they track for the census for this Metro area.

Learn something new every day. Interesting! I wonder why they do it like that?

As far as South Florida goes, I left because I couldn't stand the area. Too much intolerance, too much social divide, too much violence, and frankly... I noticed my home was not my home anymore. West Palm Beach is being completely overrun. It's a shame, because I love Palm Beach County. It's a paradise. My family was a staple of Jupiter FL in the 30s and 40s. A close family friend, someone my relatives used to call uncle, was a well known trapper. It was my legacy, almost.

And I moved. Way up north. And I love it up here. It kills me but South Florida right now is dying. I don't know why, and I don't know how to fix it but simply put... it's a place you don't really want to be if you can help it.

The quote I posted was direct from the Federal Government site for the Budget. Miami Metro Area does not extend up to Palm Beach County. It may have in the past? I'm not sure.

For purposes of budgeting... and the census itself... the US Government seems to label the Miami Metro Area as Miami - Ft Lauderdale - Pompano.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/bulletins/b10-02.pdf

Silly debate regardless. My fault for starting it.

The Miami Metro area was expanded after the 2000 census. It's still labeled as Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach but it absolutely extends into Palm Beach County now.

I'm from Montreal and just got back from Miami last night after a 7 day stay in Kendall. Spent a couple of days in Miami beach and went out to Liv last Saturday night. All I could say is my 40 year love for Miami is stronger than ever. My wife and I were just talking this morning about moving there. I love it. Just one thing though. No one speaks English!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable. The Walmart the public the Walgreens nobody spoke English. How is this possible? Anyways I still love the city and always will. It's simply beautiful!!!

I walked into a Wal-Mart in Doral and asked to speak to a manager (was doing some part time work as a vendor) and I was hit with "Queue? by the greeter" I said "manager, manager" and the guy pointed to the direction of Customer Service and was rude on top of it. A certain arrogance because I don't speak Spanish, but yet its cool that you live in America and can't speak English.

South Beach is not the real Miami. Yea it's still a plus if you are bilingual, a big plus . . . but you aren't getting away with not being able to speak English . . . well for the most part.

I walked into a Wal-Mart in Doral and asked to speak to a manager (was doing some part time work as a vendor) and I was hit with "Queue? by the greeter" I said "manager, manager" and the guy pointed to the direction of Customer Service and was rude on top of it. A certain arrogance because I don't speak Spanish, but yet its cool that you live in America and can't speak English.

South Beach is not the real Miami. Yea it's still a plus if you are bilingual, a big plus . . . but you aren't getting away with not being able to speak English . . . well for the most part.

I also have a house in SoCal. It has always galled me that the Cali DMV has the drivers (test) manuals in 5 languages - literally. I'm a firm believer that, be it FL, CA, TX or wherever, if you want the privilege to drive in this country, you should make the effort to learn at least enough English to pass the written tests.

What's incredibly funny to me is the serious divide between immigrants in Miami. My brother in law is cuban (born and bred, actually) and I've seen him get into it, multiple times, with fellow Cuban immigrants. The debate? Every single time, the fact that he wants people in the service industry to speak English. His parents learned English when they came over, and he's so overly sensitive about it, he gets irritated when he sees someone unwilling to make the sacrifice his parents did.

And people who fly the Cuban flag, but that's because he hates Castro and Cuba itself for stealing his family's land and farm. Whole other subject there. That being said, I speak spanish. My little niece, 3 year old half cuban girl speaks better english (and spanish, actually) then almost everyone I meet south of Atlantic!

That being said, other cultures and languages make a community beautiful. If we stick to ONE thing, it becomes stagnant and boring. It's this mix that makes a society worth living in. The main problem is that when you bemoan the people saying "Speak English! It's America!" you are actually ignoring the other issue... people who only speak Spanish who are commanding HABLAR ESPANOL are doing the exact same thing.

Stubbornness all around. Like I said, a huge social divide. It's sad. I live in a city where the majority are not native (Toronto) and most people here adapt. Most are bi lingual. Those who refuse to adapt and become insulated, only speaking their own language (Chinese) become the outcasts because nobody wants to be a part of that. When you come into a community, regardless if you are just moving there or you are simply coming into an age to actually be a productive member of society, you have to adapt. Those who refuse make it a worse place, no matter if they say hello or hola

Im pretty sure 4 straight losing seasons have alot more to do with attendance than anything else. Two years ago these same economic factors and 10,000 more fans in stadium. We went from 90 percent capacity to 75 percent in two years.

Well even with these attendance issues the Dolphins are still middle of the pack revenue wise, actually doing better than some successful teams like the 49ers and others, because of the Miami TV market and their sponsors. Which is why there's never a blackout. Same is said about the Marlins, there's been games where any other team would be blacked out but the TV deal they have keeps them on television.

I'd like this 10 times if possible. I moved to Miami from Las Vegas where I was raised in 2003 and left in 2006. It took me over a half year to find work even with a degree because I only spoke English. It was extremely difficult to get used to. The traffic was terrible. The people in general seemed very unhappy and/or rude for no reason. I always felt awkward because I felt like I was a bother to most people because I couldn't speak their native language. I remember talking to my gf at the time (who was Nicaraguan and raised in Miami) about how poor the customer service seemed to be just about anywhere I went and how the language barrier made it damn near impossible to communicate when she wasn't there to do the talking.

There were positives to the area also, but the cons far outweighed the pros for this western boy. I'll never forget the feeling of the cool, dry air when I got off the plane in Boise. I felt about 30lbs lighter.

Oh Katrina and Wilma kinda sucked too. That 05 hurricane season was nuts.

Miami has it's share of problems for sure. The city government is probably one of the most corrupt in the country. Working in the down town and groove areas I was forced to learn some spanish just to get by. Try ordering lunch on Flagler street or SW 8th in English. Good luck with that.
Over time I adjusted. Dated several Cuban ladies and attended numerous latin parties and cookouts. Still drink Cuban coffee every morning.
The thing with older Cubans not wanting to learn the language is annoying but I figure in other country where there are large American populations they probably stick together and only speak English just learning enough of the local language to get by. Not excusing it just understanding it's human nature.
I had to leave Miami a few years back and miss it every day. The ocean is 20 minutes away from anywhere. There's ALWAYS something fun to do.
We have all the major sports, Great fishing and water activities. A large variety of lovely ladies of all shades. Golf courses everywhere. If you are young and single it's the best. Married with kids ? Not so much.
I live in Macon Ga now and everyone here also speaks a foreign language. I believe it's called Redneck. Had to traded in the Lexus for a pickup truck.The nearest water is a 2 hour drive to Savannah. The biggest events here are wrestle mania , gun shows and high school football. No beer sells on Sunday. The average temperature last summer was around 100 with no ocean breeze it make it livable. Careful what you wish for guys.

i always thought METRO Miami was the city and the small municipalities around it like Miami beach and Hialeah but did not include Ft Lauderdale or anything north of that hence the METRO rail.

here's what google sez >>>The Miami metropolitan area is a metropolitan area including Miami, Florida and nearby communities.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] The U.S. Office of Management and Budget designates the area the Miami–Fort Lauderdale–Pompano Beach, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area, a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) used for statistical purposes by the United States Census Bureau and other entities.[SUP][7][/SUP] It was also known as the South Florida Metropolitan area (SFMA, Sofla).[SUP][8][/SUP] The OMB defines the MSA as comprising Miami-Dade,Broward, and Palm Beach counties—Florida's three most populous counties—with principal cities including Miami, Fort Lauderdale,Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, and Boca Raton.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also have one of the highest aids/HIV rates in the country and one of the lowest graduation rates in the country as well. Can you blame us? We are the deepest city in the South. THE SOUTH! The birthplace of ignorance and backwards thinking. In a country where the key issues are gun control and the president's race instead of education and healthcare. I would never root for the Davie Dolphins or the West Palm Beach Tortoises. Sorry.

Miami is arguably one of the most diverse cities amongst minorities in all of the world, even in just those 400k of people, most people are of hispanic decent but from different countries, followed by blacks, and the biggest minority being caucasions. But when you include the Metro-Dade Area of South Florida the ethnical diversity is diluted, and you then have these upper class or "upper class thinking" individuals who feel their town full of over privileged retirees would be better served by an NFL team.

I'm sorry but Miami's inner city, like most inner cities, is full of poverty, but in Miami the poverty rate is larger mostly due to the large amount of hispanic immigrants that are instantly poor from the moment they step onto U.S. soil. People who left desperately bad situations in their home countries, which they love, all in hopes to one day progress to just a regular life, but who are faced with the reality that even people in the U.S., specifically and specially the poor, go hungry and get gunned down for papers with peoples faces on it.

These sports teams, like the Lions, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens, etc. are beacons of hope in inner cities marred by the reality of what it means to be poor and unable in the "land of opportunity" blinding the hopeless with the dreams of gridiron gold and the ability to dream of a life that even a god would dream of, in a place where most have only had the opportunity to simply dream.

I will tell you one thing though, that stat sheet can't measure heart and culture, something that Miami has more of than any other city in the United States. I am 26 years old and I have lived in Miami since I was 4 years old. When I was 13, I moved to Hialeah. I have traveled all over the U.S. and I have visited several countries in Central and Southern America as well as some in Asia. That is why I feel it is safe to say that Miami, undoubtedly, has more of a je ne se quoi than any other city within a 5,000 mile radius, making it more than deserving to have any and all of the sports teams it does have.

Broward County and West Palm are just mad because no one cares about old people and palm trees. Get over it.

Miami has the most beautiful people in the world. No one in the history of beauty has ever said " the most beautiful people come from Ft. Lauderdale." Get over it.

I'm from Montreal and just got back from Miami last night after a 7 day stay in Kendall. Spent a couple of days in Miami beach and went out to Liv last Saturday night. All I could say is my 40 year love for Miami is stronger than ever. My wife and I were just talking this morning about moving there. I love it. Just one thing though. No one speaks English!!!!!!!!! It's unbelievable. The Walmart the public the Walgreens nobody spoke English. How is this possible? Anyways I still love the city and always will. It's simply beautiful!!!

Hell, even spanish speakers find it weird no one in Kendall speaks english.

We also have one of the highest aids/HIV rates in the country and one of the lowest graduation rates in the country as well. Can you blame us? We are the deepest city in the South. THE SOUTH! The birthplace of ignorance and backwards thinking. In a country where the key issues are gun control and the president's race instead of education and healthcare. I would never root for the Davie Dolphins or the West Palm Beach Tortoises. Sorry.

Miami is arguably one of the most diverse cities amongst minorities in all of the world, even in just those 400k of people, most people are of hispanic decent but from different countries, followed by blacks, and the biggest minority being caucasions. But when you include the Metro-Dade Area of South Florida the ethnical diversity is diluted, and you then have these upper class or "upper class thinking" individuals who feel their town full of over privileged retirees would be better served by an NFL team.

I'm sorry but Miami's inner city, like most inner cities, is full of poverty, but in Miami the poverty rate is larger mostly due to the large amount of hispanic immigrants that are instantly poor from the moment they step onto U.S. soil. People who left desperately bad situations in their home countries, which they love, all in hopes to one day progress to just a regular life, but who are faced with the reality that even people in the U.S., specifically and specially the poor, go hungry and get gunned down for papers with peoples faces on it.

These sports teams, like the Lions, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens, etc. are beacons of hope in inner cities marred by the reality of what it means to be poor and unable in the "land of opportunity" blinding the hopeless with the dreams of gridiron gold and the ability to dream of a life that even a god would dream of, in a place where most have only had the opportunity to simply dream.

I will tell you one thing though, that stat sheet can't measure heart and culture, something that Miami has more of than any other city in the United States. I am 26 years old and I have lived in Miami since I was 4 years old. When I was 13, I moved to Hialeah. I have traveled all over the U.S. and I have visited several countries in Central and Southern America as well as some in Asia. That is why I feel it is safe to say that Miami, undoubtedly, has more of a je ne se quoi than any other city within a 5,000 mile radius, making it more than deserving to have any and all of the sports teams it does have.

Broward County and West Palm are just mad because no one cares about old people and palm trees. Get over it.

Miami has the most beautiful people in the world. No one in the history of beauty has ever said " the most beautiful people come from Ft. Lauderdale." Get over it.

Your ignorance towards Broward and Palm Beach put a dark lining on your feelings for Miami-Dade. Miami has been poor well before it was overrun by Cubans and other Hispanics. The black community was always the heart of Miami was in regards to being "THE SOUTH" and now poor "English" speaking adults who grew up in poverty can't even get a minimum wage job because they can't speak a language they have no business having to learn to keep a roof over their heads? What is so glorious about that ****? That **** is a disgrace. When people talk about "the most beautiful people being in Miami" they sure aren't talking about those 400K that live in the inner city. The people "quoted" saying that have only been across the bridge to get to/from the airport. They sure weren't with me in Liberty City at the Martin Luther King Parade every year.

And what does old people and palm trees have to do with anything? Have you been to parts of Sistrunk, Dania Beach, Lauderhill, Riviera Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach? I know people from Miami that absolutely REFUSE to go in areas because they are just as poverty stricken and full of violence/AIDS as parts of Miami are. Who cares? Welcome to the real world and welcome to urban life in major cities. Doesn't mean as a English speaking man I have to be looked down upon because I don't speak a language that isn't even native to my country. If that is what makes Miami this Shang Ri La to you, you can have it. Throw in the corrupt politics and nepitism that runs rapid down there and I just don't see how anybody can call that place special.

Sure there is culture. I love the women in Miami, mainly because of the diversity, I love the many different kinds of food that are available. I love the weather and I love the women (yea I said it twice) . . . but my reason for being here is different from yours . . . I'm here because 90% of my family lives in Dade/Broward counties and I'm a family person . . . my wife and I also have degrees in business management and travel/hospitality and Fort Lauderdale is home to the 2 largest cruise ships in the world and an expanding airport along with approvals for big table gambling for downtown Fort Lauderdale and the largest Outlet Mall in the world . . . and I want to be in the middle of what is going to be a big scene in the upcomming years.

I have family in Colorado that absolutely love it there, I got family in Atlanta that loves it there and in North Carolina as well . . . nobody misses this place. All they miss is the warm winters and family.

11MAGICCITYA-1.jpg

What not to like ? Now just give me another superbowl win before I die and I'll be a happy camper.

Your ignorance towards Broward and Palm Beach put a dark lining on your feelings for Miami-Dade. Miami has been poor well before it was overrun by Cubans and other Hispanics. The black community was always the heart of Miami was in regards to being "THE SOUTH" and now poor "English" speaking adults who grew up in poverty can't even get a minimum wage job because they can't speak a language they have no business having to learn to keep a roof over their heads? What is so glorious about that ****? That **** is a disgrace. When people talk about "the most beautiful people being in Miami" they sure aren't talking about those 400K that live in the inner city. The people "quoted" saying that have only been across the bridge to get to/from the airport. They sure weren't with me in Liberty City at the Martin Luther King Parade every year.

And what does old people and palm trees have to do with anything? Have you been to parts of Sistrunk, Dania Beach, Lauderhill, Riviera Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach? I know people from Miami that absolutely REFUSE to go in areas because they are just as poverty stricken and full of violence/AIDS as parts of Miami are. Who cares? Welcome to the real world and welcome to urban life in major cities. Doesn't mean as a English speaking man I have to be looked down upon because I don't speak a language that isn't even native to my country. If that is what makes Miami this Shang Ri La to you, you can have it. Throw in the corrupt politics and nepitism that runs rapid down there and I just don't see how anybody can call that place special.

Sure there is culture. I love the women in Miami, mainly because of the diversity, I love the many different kinds of food that are available. I love the weather and I love the women (yea I said it twice) . . . but my reason for being here is different from yours . . . I'm here because 90% of my family lives in Dade/Broward counties and I'm a family person . . . my wife and I also have degrees in business management and travel/hospitality and Fort Lauderdale is home to the 2 largest cruise ships in the world and an expanding airport along with approvals for big table gambling for downtown Fort Lauderdale and the largest Outlet Mall in the world . . . and I want to be in the middle of what is going to be a big scene in the upcomming years.

I have family in Colorado that absolutely love it there, I got family in Atlanta that loves it there and in North Carolina as well . . . nobody misses this place. All they miss is the warm winters and family.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are very special places so I agree with both of you to a degree.

I have traveled all over the United States. Lived in Kansas City and Philadelphia. Currently call Greenville, South Carolina home. I've spent time working in Washington, DC and seen all there is to see. I've been to Baltimore to Pittsburgh to amish country to Times Square to Boston to Providence to New Hampshire to Vermont and sat on the coast of Maine with incredible seafood dinners.

Climbed the mountains of the Appalachians, gamble in Biloxi, partied on Bourbon Street, celebrated New Year's in New Mexico, looked across the border into Juarez, Mexico from high rise mountains in El Paso.

Been all over Chicago and Detroit. Seen Mount Ranier on a clear day in Seattle from the top of the Space Needle, threw fish at Pike Place Market and done and seen a whole lot more.

But my heart & soul will forever stay in South Florida. You can leave South Florida but it never leaves you. There's nothing else like it in the entire world. It's an incredibly special place.

You don't solve anything by moving to a compromise location. That's the worst possible strategy. It guarantees you'll always be on the edge of the Everglades and therefore all but irrelevant. That area has no history and no pull. It reminds me of University of Miami leaders who looked at maps and lists of season ticket holders while trying to rationalize Sun Life as a positive switch, while conveniently ignoring that 25 miles removed from campus was a natural negative.

Make no mistake, the Dolphins would be in far better shape if Joe Robbie had relocated to the heart of the city. Attendance and otherwise. A great city always has opportunity to rebound, and the negatives are likely exaggerated to begin with. Quite often there's a natural lag. You'll read the most dire assessments when the area has already begun to reassert. It's like football or any sport, where a formerly great player has more chance to restore to that level than a mediocrity who has always been a mediocrity. Jeff Ireland seldom grasps that. He puts faith in Richard Marshall types. They perform on Everglades level, where they've always been. The auto industry debate was another example. There's always a big chunk willing to notice 30% efficiency and pronounce it will soon plummet to zero, instead of calmly recognizing there are foundational reasons the average has been above 70% for decades.

Back
Top Bottom