Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

Not to belittle Tannehill cuz I'm a big fan of his. But Cutler has far better pocket awareness. Just comes naturally to Cutler, so if Gase limits his turnovers. He will have a good season

Not to belittle Tannehill cuz I'm a big fan of his. But Cutler has far better pocket awareness. Just comes naturally to Cutler, so if Gase limits his turnovers. He will have a good season

That is one enormous "if" though. Even Cutler's "good" year with Gase had a ton of dropped interceptions.

Alex Smith is another quarterback with whom Tannehill is virtually interchangeable in my opinion. They both play at the average level, both are game managers who take care of the ball very well, and neither offers the sort of QB play that can surmount weaknesses elsewhere on a roster or regularly win quarterback shootouts against the elites of the league.

Notice that the Chiefs' 12-4 record in 2016 was generated largely by its very good pass defense, while Smith played at Tannehill's level, and that wasn't enough to win a home playoff game after a bye in which the Chiefs' defense played well, and Smith had a pedestrian performance.

LMAO at the common comparison to Smith by some of the TanneH8 Myopians. Smith has reached his ceiling, Tannehill, when left reasonably upright, has shown top 10 potential. I believe his record standing behind starting OL players (and not necessarily good ones) is something like 11 or 12 and 1. I do wish when this specious comparison is made, it's accompanied with an "IMO" at the least - cause that's exactly the traction it deserves.

Now IMO, although not a fan of the 2nd half of games that count Houdini disappearing act of Matt Ryan, he'd be a better comparison in terms of upside. In '13 and '14, Ryan went 10-22 despite having the TE GOAT, Julio, Roddy and Harry Douglas. And that's as a 5 or 6 year starter in the league (and not counting his 3-4 years starting at BC). Tannehill in his 2nd and 3rd years went 16-16 and actually was responsible for earning Hartline of all receivers a new contract. And that's with fewer than 15 starts in the NCAA!

Now hopefully, what Tannehill demonstrated including his high league long ball accuracy ranking in the 8 game stretch last season will translate into what Ryan like performance in '16 but hopefully without all the choking when it's "win or go home."

Touché. though I've heard it reported as higher, I can't seem to find a site substantiating that claim. if I cared enough to prove an agenda driven poster wrong I'd dig deeper. However you and I are completely different fans and no matter what Tannehill does in this league, it won't matter because if one site's subjective line graph.

Gonna be more contested throws I can guarantee you that cause he's not holding any coverage with his head and eyes.

Gonna make single high look like double coverage

LMAO at the common comparison to Smith by some of the TanneH8 Myopians. Smith has reached his ceiling, Tannehill, when left reasonably upright, has shown top 10 potential.

Even if that could somehow be demonstrated as true and not a mere opinion, the problem there, again, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is that "top 10" isn't significantly different from "middle 10 or 12" (where Alex Smith lies) until you get to about top 7.

So unless you're prepared to argue that Tannehill is in fact top 7 and not just top 10, you're implicitly agreeing that he isn't significantly different from Smith.

Even if that could somehow be demonstrated as true and not a mere opinion, the problem there, again, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is that "top 10" isn't significantly different from "middle 10 or 12" (where Alex Smith lies) until you get to about top 7.

In your opinion. I love it when pure speculation is presented as cold hard fact, especially in a sentence admonishing people for expressing an opinion.

Too funny.

I see the moving goalpost argument is being used again.

In your opinion. I love it when pure speculation is presented as cold hard fact, especially in a sentence admonishing people for expressing an opinion.

Too funny.

My apologies if you read that as an admonishment. The point was only that it can't be confirmed and is therefore only an opinion, which there is nothing inherently wrong with.

And you're right, the demarcation between top 7 and the middle group of QBs in the league is indeed an opinion, based on how one prefers to measure the performance of quarterbacks. However, regardless of how anyone prefers to measure it, there will be some demarcation between the best group and the next-best group, and if how one views Tannehill doesn't advance him above that demarcation, he isn't meaningfully different from Smith in that regard.

"Top 10" seems to be used here a great deal, when I have yet to see any elaboration of why "top 10" has any inherent meaning. Is it just a nice round number, or does it mean something in terms of distinguishing those 10 QBs from the next-best group?

Fanahills: All I'm saying is Wilson, and even Brady would not have fared any better under Philbin. And Brees, him and Tannehill have a similar record since 2012. And when the o-line was just mediocre he put up elite type of performances. And he's one tier above most of the second tier guys. So, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Me: so you are saying he's elite

Fanahills: WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! Nobody EVER said he's elite!!! But he does deserve a good 10-15 years under center before we even THINK about using a draft pick on another QB.

Fanahills: All I'm saying is Wilson, and even Brady would not have fared any better under Philbin. And Brees, him and Tannehill have a similar record since 2012. And when the o-line was just mediocre he put up elite type of performances. And he's one tier above most of the second tier guys. So, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Me: so you are saying he's elite

Fanahills: WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! Nobody EVER said he's elite!!! But he does deserve a good 10-15 years under center before we even THINK about using a draft pick on another QB.

The odd thing is that you actually think are contradicting themselves. You simply cannot comprehend that a QB that is running for his life isn't likely to do well for long regardless of their ability. Wilson has his lowest QB rating of his career last season. Do you honestly think it was a coincidence? Cam Newton's play dropped off dramatically last season, why?

Do you think they are just inconsistent players or is it just possible that their performance is affected by the team that surrounds them? Seattle dropped to 25th in the league in rushing offense, despite a career high rushing yards for Wilson. He had career highs in attempts and yards and career lows in YPA and QB rating. That is exactly what many told you would happen. As the offense became more dependent on Wilson, his efficiency would drop. When the Dolphins run game began to approach (but certainly didn't reach) what Wilson enjoyed for his first 4 years, Tannehill's QB rating passed the 100 point barrier.

Any time any Tannehill supporter ranks QBs, they put Tannehill below the elite QBs and above the THIRD TIER QBs.

Fanahills: All I'm saying is Wilson, and even Brady would not have fared any better under Philbin.

Don't look up the names, which is the better season:

353 cmp 546 att 64.7% 4219 yards 21 TDs 11 INTs 92.6 rating

392 cmp 590 att 66.4% 4045 yards 27 TDs 12 INTs 92.8 rating

The odd thing is that you actually think are contradicting themselves. You simply cannot comprehend that a QB that is running for his life isn't likely to do well for long regardless of their ability. Wilson has his lowest QB rating of his career last season. Do you honestly think it was a coincidence? Cam Newton's play dropped off dramatically last season, why?

Do you think they are just inconsistent players or is it just possible that their performance is affected by the team that surrounds them? Seattle dropped to 25th in the league in rushing offense, despite a career high rushing yards for Wilson. He had career highs in attempts and yards and career lows in YPA and QB rating. That is exactly what many told you would happen. As the offense became more dependent on Wilson, his efficiency would drop. When the Dolphins run game began to approach (but certainly didn't reach) what Wilson enjoyed for his first 4 years, Tannehill's QB rating passed the 100 point barrier.

Any time any Tannehill supporter ranks QBs, they put Tannehill below the elite QBs and above the THIRD TIER QBs.

So your takeaway is the reason Wilson struggled (relatively speaking, he was still better than Tannehill) is because his o-line went from second worst to worst and it had nothing to do with him having a bum ankle and knee most of the season?

And yes, I would definitely say Cam is known to be an inconsistent, emotional player.

Back
Top Bottom