Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

My apologies if you read that as an admonishment. The point was only that it can't be confirmed and is therefore only an opinion, which there is nothing inherently wrong with.

And you're right, the demarcation between top 7 and the middle group of QBs in the league is indeed an opinion, based on how one prefers to measure the performance of quarterbacks. However, regardless of how anyone prefers to measure it, there will be some demarcation between the best group and the next-best group, and if how one views Tannehill doesn't advance him above that demarcation, he isn't meaningfully different from Smith in that regard.

"Top 10" seems to be used here a great deal, when I have yet to see any elaboration of why "top 10" has any inherent meaning. Is it just a nice round number, or does it mean something in terms of distinguishing those 10 QBs from the next-best group?

None of the demarcations have any meaning. Why top 7? Why top 10? IMO top is used because it is a nice round number. Usually the initial group is not a predetermined size. It is the group considered elite. That is usually the top QBs that consistently put up good numbers. Matt Ryan can enter that category with another season or two like last season.

The odd thing is that you actually think are contradicting themselves. You simply cannot comprehend that a QB that is running for his life isn't likely to do well for long regardless of their ability. Wilson has his lowest QB rating of his career last season. Do you honestly think it was a coincidence? Cam Newton's play dropped off dramatically last season, why?

Do you think they are just inconsistent players or is it just possible that their performance is affected by the team that surrounds them? Seattle dropped to 25th in the league in rushing offense, despite a career high rushing yards for Wilson. He had career highs in attempts and yards and career lows in YPA and QB rating. That is exactly what many told you would happen. As the offense became more dependent on Wilson, his efficiency would drop. When the Dolphins run game began to approach (but certainly didn't reach) what Wilson enjoyed for his first 4 years, Tannehill's QB rating passed the 100 point barrier.

Any time any Tannehill supporter ranks QBs, they put Tannehill below the elite QBs and above the THIRD TIER QBs.

Who are the third tier QBs?

Last edited:
So your takeaway is the reason Wilson struggled (relatively speaking, he was still better than Tannehill) is because his o-line went from second worst to worst and it had nothing to do with him having a bum ankle and knee most of the season?
He wasn't better than Tannehill in QB rating or YPA. No my take away is that it was because of the running game struggling.

The only QBs that you can definitively say Tannehill is better than are guys like Alex Smith, Tyrod, Bortles, Flacco, Siemian, Osweiler, Hoyer, and then some of the guys that are only a year in like Goff and Wentz. Maybe you can add Bradford to this list, I suppose Cutler as well....but you can't definitively say he's better than guys like Cousins, or Eli, or Palmer...or Mariota or Winston. You can't even say he's for sure better than Dalton, 2 seasons ago Dalton was playing at a level Tannehill has never reached, when he was a legitimate MVP candidate before he got hurt late in the year...so it's really debateable.

Last edited:
The only QBs that you can definitively say Tannehill is better than are guys like Alex Smith, Tyrod, Bortles, Flacco, Siemian, Osweiler, Hoyer, and then some of the guys that are only a year in like Goff and Wentz. Maybe you can add Bradford to this list, I suppose Cutler as well....but you can't definitively say he's better than guys like Cousins, or Eli, or Palmer...or Mariota or Winston. You can't even say he's for sure better than Dalton, 2 seasons ago Dalton was playing at a level Tannehill has never reached, when he was a legitimate MVP candidate before he got hurt late in the year...so it's really debateable.
Some of those guys are better than Tannehill.

I will never understand this forum's fascination with Tannehill. The guy is basically a bigger version of Jay Fiedler, he's a game manager.

Let's just say I'd have loved to see how Tannehill would have done with Hilton and Wayne in the years Luck succeeded in what was then a cupcake division. And comparing him more recently to Tannehill does RT17 a disservice.

I will never understand this forum's fascination with Tannehill. The guy is basically a bigger version of Jay Fiedler, he's a game manager.

I will never understand how supposed fans of the dolphins come to this site and try so hard to push an agenda against one of our players.

Back
Top Bottom