Cutler: Players Around Him... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler: Players Around Him...

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Are the players around Cutler (Dolphins) better/worse/same in comparison with the talent around him in Chicago?

The general consensus among NFL analysts is that this is the most talented offense that Jay Cutler has ever been on.

Alshon, Marshall, forte was pretty damn good, maybe slight edge to current dolphins? Don't know what bears oline was like. May be a wash

Alshon, Marshall, forte was pretty damn good, maybe slight edge to current dolphins? Don't know what bears oline was like. May be a wash

I kind of disagree that it's a slight edge. Alshon and Marshall were a very good combination, and Forte was a very solid RB to maybe a bit better then that, but unlike Miami, they did not have a 3rd receiving option as good as Miami will have with the Landry-Parker-Stills combination, as well as being able to bring in at times receivers like Grant and Carroo.

Finally if Ajayi is even close to the RB he was in 2016, it will make him a far bigger weapon then Forte ever was.

If Cutler fails, it will be because of the O-line, or on himself.

I kind of disagree that it's a slight edge. Alshon and Marshall were a very good combination, and Forte was a very solid RB to maybe a bit better then that, but unlike Miami, they did not have a 3rd receiving option as good as Miami will have with the Landry-Parker-Stills combination, as well as being able to bring in at times receivers like Grant and Carroo.

Finally if Ajayi is even close to the RB he was in 2016, it will make him a far bigger weapon then Forte ever was.

If Cutler fails, it will be because of the O-line, or on himself.

On the other hand, Chicago did have two very good TE options in Martellus Bennett and Zach Miller.

Along with being a very good RB, Forte was also an excellent receiver. Not just out of the backfield, but splitting out as one too. Forte was a better all around weapon. Langford also ran for 500+ yards and 6 rushing TDs.

So while we currently have a wider selection of WR's, he had a better array of offensive personnel while with Gase in Chicago.

On the other hand, Chicago did have two very good TE options in Martellus Bennett and Zach Miller.

Along with being a very good RB, Forte was also an excellent receiver. Not just out of the backfield, but splitting out as one too. Forte was a better all around weapon. Langford also ran for 500+ yards and 6 rushing TDs.

So while we currently have a wider selection of WR's, he had a better array of offensive personnel while with Gase in Chicago.

Good point...Still not giving Cutler any excuse if he fails, he has more then enough weapons in Miami.

Good point...Still not giving Cutler any excuse if he fails, he has more then enough weapons in Miami.

Absolutely not, that wasn't my intention. But if this Cutler experiment truly fails, the blame lies higher up on the ladder than just the QB.

There seems to be an overestimation by many people of the effect of a player's surroundings on his individual play.

I'd be surprised if Cutler did anything meaningfully different from his career average level in 2017.

There is tremendous parity in this league. The surroundings of individual players aren't all that different from team to team, certainly not enough to get a player to rise to a level at which he's never performed.

The differences in individual performance among players are due to their own talent, not to what's going on around them.

As long as Pouncey stays healthy this offense will do well. He is the biggest difference maker. Hope Gase's plan to keep him in bubble wrap works out.

Cutler played all but about 1/2 a game (week 2) in 2015 and it was the only year under Adam Gase with Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte. They did not have Marshall that year. The 2015 Bears defense was certainly nothing to brag about (20th in points allowed).

The same year Forte missed 3 games. Jeffrey played in 9 games with 500 snaps total. M. Bennett played in 11 games.

The o-line was patch work with ...

LT Charles Leno (13 games)
LG Matt Slauson (16)
C Hroniss Grasu (rookie 8 games)
RG Vlad Ducasse (11 games)
RG Patrick Omameh (9 games)

The main year where they all played together was in 2014 under Marc Trestman (Aaron Kromer at OC) and Cutler had 28 td's and 18 ints. Forte ran for 1028 yards and 6 td's with 4 td receiving and 808 yards. They may have had some talent that year but you couldn't say the same for the coaching staff/system.

I think the best way to sum it up is this will be the best "TEAM" that JC has played on because he will have similar (if not better) talent with much better coaching. They only really had Jeffrey as a star receiver under Gase and AJ only put up 800 yards & 4 td's. We should have 2 legit star players in Landry and Parker...possibly 3 if Stills can duplicate his performance from last year.

Absolutely not, that wasn't my intention. But if this Cutler experiment truly fails, the blame lies higher up on the ladder than just the QB.

No, I know that was not your intention, unfortunately of the QBs out there, this was the best possible option to go, so I personally will not put too much blame on the higher ups.

Cutler just needs to do his part.

There seems to be an overestimation by many people of the effect of a player's surroundings on his individual play.

I'd be surprised if Cutler did anything meaningfully different from his career average level in 2017.

There is tremendous parity in this league. The surroundings of individual players aren't all that different from team to team, certainly not enough to get a player to rise to a level at which he's never performed.

The differences in individual performance among players are due to their own talent, not to what's going on around them.
All that means is you've never been motivated by those around you. Many people get motivated by those around them and the environment.

Cutler played all but about 1/2 a game (week 2) in 2015 and it was the only year under Adam Gase with Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte. They did not have Marshall that year. The 2015 Bears defense was certainly nothing to brag about (20th in points allowed).

The same year Forte missed 3 games. Jeffrey played in 9 games with 500 snaps total. M. Bennett played in 11 games.

The o-line was patch work with ...

LT Charles Leno (13 games)
LG Matt Slauson (16)
C Hroniss Grasu (rookie 8 games)
RG Vlad Ducasse (11 games)
RG Patrick Omameh (9 games)

The main year where they all played together was in 2014 under Marc Trestman (Aaron Kromer at OC) and Cutler had 28 td's and 18 ints. Forte ran for 1028 yards and 6 td's with 4 td receiving and 808 yards. They may have had some talent that year but you couldn't say the same for the coaching staff/system.

I think the best way to sum it up is this will be the best "TEAM" that JC has played on because he will have similar (if not better) talent with much better coaching. They only really had Jeffrey as a star receiver under Gase and AJ only put up 800 yards & 4 td's. We should have 2 legit star players in Landry and Parker...possibly 3 if Stills can duplicate his performance from last year.

What was the year we shut them down with Grimes and Finnegan? 2014? I thought those WR's would crush us with their size advantages. Anyway Tanne-Moore was good for 27 TD's and 15 picks, I think Jay can duplicate that as he pretty much has in his careerat one point. If he does we should be fine. The staff also seems to be much more willing to go no huddle with Cutler, that should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom