Czar Foxsports.com: Ross Tidbit/Philbin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Perhaps nothing big, but it is the first time Philbin's name has been linked by national media. Should not surprise that he has been "researched", but it was still worth mentioning IMO.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ts-playoff-picture-scenarios-cardinals-122311

Miami at New England, 1 p.m. ET: The Dolphins’ brain trust was apparently right about Reggie Bush, who is 27 yards away from his first 1,000-yard season. Amazingly, Bush had only 944 yards combined in his past three seasons with the Saints. Still, how does Miami slow down the Tom Brady passing show? He finally connected with Chad Ochocinco on a touchdown pass last Sunday while targeting TE Aaron Hernandez nine times last week for 129 yards. Apparently, Miami owner Stephen Ross has researched Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin for his head-coaching vacancy for 2012

2. Hayden Fox

Incredibly premature post, but if Philbin was hired, Matt Flynn could be the answer to the quarterback position. The kid would be attracted to Miami because of Philbin and would understand the system.

I am not saying I would want this at the top of my list, but my interest would be up this offseason.

What I do not like about Philbin is he does not design or call his own plays. It is why I think Pete Carmichael is DSQ'ed. Those coaches should look to branch out to teams in which they have more autonomy.

Another thing about this is Matt Flynn really an upgrade over Matt Moore? I cannot answer that.

3. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

I'm pleased Ross is turning over plenty of stones as it looked like, at one point, he was determined to employ a Superbowl winning HC...

By the way, what's the reason for your username?

4. Hayden Fox

I liked the TV show...lol.

5. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

IF... that were the case, Id like even more so, picking Weeden for this offense in the late first by trading up from the 2nd. And with the 1st, id go after Blackmon, will put a lot of pressure down field and should take off pressure on Marshall. Move Carey back to RT and get a stud RG in FA.

6. dolphinbryan

dolphinbryan Well-Known Member

no not regis!!!!!!!!!!

7. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

They might as well hire a high school football coach.

8. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I've said many times before that I would shoot for a blackmon weeden combo in the draft.

I'm not sure what to think of matt flynn... he looks good when he fills in for arod. But I don't see him as a major upgrade over matt moore...

9. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

Matt Flynn is not an upgrade to Matt Moore. He's just the next hot name in a league that is desperate for quality quarterbacks. Flynn's 68.1 career passer rating is nowhere near Matt Moore's career 80.8 or his 86.6 passer rating as a starter.

10. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Since Philbin doesn't design or call his own plays, what exactly are his responsibilities in Green Bay? What makes him qualified to make the jump to head coach?

11. Hayden Fox

I agree. That is a huge issue with him and Carmichael.

12. KB21

KB21 A True Fan

The GB coach that should be on the radar is Winston Moss.

13. rando1372

rando1372 Member

Another potential problem I see is green bay runs a spread,we don't have a spread qb on the roster.If Philbin's hired here could be a possibilty we try to sign Heene back unless Moore can convert.If we think we have something in Moore,than I think we'll be looking to bring in a coach that run's a more pro-style offense.

14. chrispepper

chrispepper Well-Known Member

He can still be seen as the guy who ensured the development of aaron rodgers at quarterback.. Other than that, not much that attracts me to him as a head coach.

15. Hurricane_Shula

Hurricane_Shula 3rd parade down Biscayne Blvd!

I'd rather have Chud.

16. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

This is a good point. However, I think he's knowledge of the WCO and the 3-4 defense which they run in Green Bay is a huge plus. We won't have to switch defenses like we will with Jeff Fisher, the WCO doesn't demand a strong armed QB like some other vertical offenses do making it a little easier to find a QB that fits the system and the fact that he's from an organization that just knows how to win, knows how to put together a team is a major plus for me.

I'm certainly not going to count him out.

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Moore is a nobody, a backup, trash. Anything is worth a shot as Moore is not the answer at quarterback. Flynn has potential, and we won't be able to draft a quarterback worth while other than Tannehill maybe. But stop talking up Moore as if he's anything special, he's no different than Gus, Fiedler and all the other scrub QB's we've had.

Philbin is interesting but I think I rather have Billick at this point. I really want Jay Gruden but it doesn't seem like Ross is interested so let's bring in Billick.

18. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

So because Green Bay doesn't allow Philbin to design plays he's automatically incapable of doing so? The guy is a hot commodity around the league. There's a reason for that.

Let's wait and see how everything plays out before we start questioning a unproven assistant HC. If he's the one who called plays while Payton was sidelined you can sign me up all day long.

19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Just cause he doesn't call plays doesn't mean he doesn't help designing gameplans or have input into the games. He's been a long time assistant under McCarthey so who knows how he'll do. He's worth a look.

20. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

I think any member of the Packers coaching staff is worth taking a look at. They're doing it right in Green Bay.

21. NYPhinzFan

NYPhinzFan Scout Team Donator

What have you seen in Flynn that makes you believe he's better than the healthy sample size we've seen with Moore?

22. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

Whew, thought you were going to say Regis Philbin