D. Shifty presents: A&O's concept logo | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

D. Shifty presents: A&O's concept logo

DisturbedShifty

Peace out
Reaction score
NOTICE: I asked, and got approval from JCane to post this in the main forum

So over in one of the super threads about logo change, A&O tossed out an idea for a Dolphins logo in the style of the Seahawks logo. I thought it was an interesting idea so I decided to take a crack at it. And I did it without telling A&O about it. :chuckle: So I drew rough version by hand and took a picture of it and sent it to A&O to see if it was along the lines of what he was looking for. He liked what he saw and said he he couldn't wait to see it in color. So without further adieu:

clear.gif

I personally think it looks like it belongs on a totem pole. But like I told A&O, I think that was the point of the Seawaks logo as well.

The coolest thing about Dolphins, and my Labs, is it always looks like they are smiling. I know it is not tough, but that is one thing I really like about Bottlenosed Dolphins. Not trying to sound like a wuss here. But the Dolphin is a great animal and one of its recognizable features is this fact. Besides that good work! Maybe a **** eating grin would work. Because without that trademark "smile" it doesn't really resemble a dolphin.

The coolest thing about Dolphins, and my Labs, is it always looks like they are smiling. I know it is not tough, but that is one thing I really like about Bottlenosed Dolphins. Not trying to sound like a wuss here. But the Dolphin is a great animal and one of its recognizable features is this fact. Besides that good work! Maybe a **** eating grin would work. Because without that trademark "smile" it doesn't really resemble a dolphin.
Funny you say that. Because I actually changed the mouth. Here is the rough version I drew:
clear.gif

Yeah its amazing that a smile can change a dolphin into a cutthroat trout or a salmon. Its tough to take an animal that is not really seen as fierce and make it that. However, you can always embrace its intelligence. You are doing a real nice job still. I wish I had an ounce of artistic skill. I would draw a stick dolphin!

Actually.....

i like it.

I think the mouth that was altered (colorized) actually looks a little more natural, and doesn't take away from the meanness of the design.

One of the best I've seen.

Great job!

I think the concept has potential. If we HAD to change the logo, something like this could work for me. I like the concept more than the Dolphins Stadium logo which is a bit bland.

I don't mean to be rude (I really don't) but that looks awful. Nicely made but I just dont like the design.

Interesting design. Most of it is cool IMO except for the mouth. The dolphin looks like someone either farted in an elevator he was in or told him a bad joke.

i like the idea of using just the head of a dolphins but i think this pic looks more like a fish to me because the top fin is usually much further back on a dolphin, behind the little arm fin thingys...? i also miss the helmet.... i read this online and the seconday part i agreed with

1. From a design perspective, it balances the tail sticking out of the bottom of the sun (which is probably why they did the “mean dolphin” redesign in the first place – to fix the placement) – now, if you wanted to shift the helmetless dolphin around so that it was more centered on the background sun, then maybe, but also…
2. In the same way that the skating penguin is necessary for the Pittsburgh Penguins, or Pat the Patriot is far superior to the Flying Elvis, or the Celtics’ leprechaun (or Notre Dame’s for that matter) is immediately identifiable with a particular team – some logos may be overly cartoonish/child-like, but at the same time – they’re quirky, they have a unique aesthetic that’s so much more original than any of the slick, corporate, samey-looking crap (think Texans, Broncos, Seahawks, Jags, etc.) coming out, often through ill-advised redesigns. Why are throwback uniforms all the rage now? Because many teams have adopted ridiculous “futuristic” uniform/logo combos that look horrendous and everyone prefers the older, simpler, less-is-more approach. To their credit, the Dolphins have always stuck close to their original, winning look – now, you may find the “M helmet” on the dolphin dumb or whatever, but it’s that type of odd detail that makes these original logos so much cooler – created years ago before fan polling and whatever other marketing machinery that dumbs everything down to the lowest common denominator and is partially responsible for all of the samey looking “modern” uniforms. Mean cartoon dolphin vs. original? I can see how that was sort of an unnecessary update, but it could have been far worse:

NOTICE: I asked, and got approval from JCane to post this in the main forum

So over in one of the super threads about logo change, A&O tossed out an idea for a Dolphins logo in the style of the Seahawks logo. I thought it was an interesting idea so I decided to take a crack at it. And I did it without telling A&O about it. :chuckle: So I drew rough version by hand and took a picture of it and sent it to A&O to see if it was along the lines of what he was looking for. He liked what he saw and said he he couldn't wait to see it in color. So without further adieu:

clear.gif

I personally think it looks like it belongs on a totem pole. But like I told A&O, I think that was the point of the Seawaks logo as well.

I've been a Dolphin fan for 40 years, but I am all for bringing Miami's logo and look into the 21st century. As good of a logo design for Miami as I have seen so far. I would vote "yes." Nice job!

dfn.png

what do you think about the tail moved back a bit???

Attachments

• dfn.png
    dfn.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 9175

what do you think about the tail moved back a bit???
First off, I appreciate the feed back and the suggestions. So you know, I knew full well going into the project that the dorsal fin is further back. But it would have looked funny without it. Secondly, and I mean no offense, but I do not appreciate you altering my work. I understand it was done in good spirits. But next time ask for permission before altering somebody else's art work.

Back
Top Bottom