Dan Henning deserves some of the blame here | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Henning deserves some of the blame here

Adam First

Excellence in Mediocrity
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Remember how last year we survived against bad teams like San Francisco, Oakland and Seattle throwing dink and dunks, screens, and other short passes?

Yeah, Atlanta showed it's not going to work against superior talent. It seemed like our playbook was not adjusted at all against constant pressure from Atlanta. And that's not a repeat thing, it happened so many times last year. Carolina fired Henning because of his soft playcalling.

When is enough going to be enough for Sparano and Parcells?

Dishonorable mention goes to Dave DeGuglielmo. Deplorable offensive line play.

It's funny how we have a new o-line coach and allegedly upgraded our o-line for this year and yet it's worse then it was last season???!!!! What the hell is going on??

all henning as going for him is that he came up with the wildcat. take that away and what do we have? a dink and dunk 5 yard passing attack and a running game that cant run without a gimmick play.

playcalling is definately to blame...id say the O-Line without a doubt was the biggest problem with the play calling coming in at a close 2nd. Pennington doesnt pick the plays with the short routes. Im tired of hearing about his "weak arm" but he can throw the ball 40 yards. If he couldnt he wouldnt be in the NFL. Guys have to get open even if its a 10 yard pass your moving the chains. Screens and dump passes that get your 3 or 4 yards is not the way to play. They called the wildcat at terrible times.

I'm not giving up on DeGuglielmo yet, it was his first game as O-Line coach. His debut certainly sucked though. We can only hope he can improve.

My biggest complaint about Henning today was calling the wildPat plays at the wrong time (the second one, the first was called at a good time) and not sticking to the run enough. we had the run going pretty well.

on the other hand you can point out that some of his plays like the trick play to haynos worked well and also the small pass to fasno but we fumbled and our o-line played so bad its ahrd to knock henning.

The gadget plays are very annoying, I agree. Taking Pennington off the field is killing us. Pat White was a deer in the headlights, and justifiably so, seeing that Sparano gave him absolutely no time in the preseason to even get comfortable in a game situation. I was afraid that would happen with the "WildPat" and sho nuff it did.

I'm confident the WildPat will work better down the road but they need to figure out a way to keep Pennington on the field when White is in there.

on the other hand you can point out that some of his plays like the trick play to haynos worked well and also the small pass to fasno but we fumbled and our o-line played so bad its ahrd to knock henning.

the o-lines crappy blocking doesnt have anything to do with the play calls. We're very predictable and that doesnt help the o-line either.

Our O-Line did pretty good with only a few breakdowns. We did run the ball well. But, you have to understand something. I don't care who you are, you can't keep holding onto the ball for more than 3 seconds in the pocket. The pressure will eventually catch up to you, and it did today. This is the reason we have the 3 second buzzer test for quarterbacks in training camp.

all henning as going for him is that he came up with the wildcat. take that away and what do we have? a dink and dunk 5 yard passing attack and a running game that cant run without a gimmick play.

henning didnt come up with the wildcat.. lee did

Back
Top Bottom