Dan Henning... I'll try to be objective | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Henning... I'll try to be objective

justdev7

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not going to address the wildcat because there are plenty of threads about it already.

Positive effects:

Last year we had an outstanding running game and a lot of the credit has to go to Henning. He kept the O committed to the run and mied the runs up enough to keep defenses off balance.

Henning has also done a great job of keeping Chad Henne protected. making sure that a oung QB doesn't get knocked silly is unbelievably important for their development both mentally and physically and I commend Henning for that.

This year we haven't been as successful at running the ball but Henne has stayed upright for the most part.

For me this is about where the positives stop

Negative effects:

While Chad Henne has been protected well he hasn't had many chances to test his abilities. This is a tough subject. Henning did the right thing protecting Henne last year no question. But Chad threw for over 350 yards tonight with 2 TD's and no INTs and he's proving that he can make the throws that need to be made. Henning NEEDS to take a blocker out of the backfield and give Henne more options. It doesn't matter how great the protection is if there are only two guys running routes. I don't know if Henning will do that and that's my biggest worry right now.

My second biggest beef with Henning has to do with the formations that we run. Tonight we ran about 10 plays with Henne under center and the RB offset at shotgun depth. that formation makes no sense to me. You can't run out of that and the D knows it. At the same time Henne has to make his drop while reading the D.

Finally there was the 2nd and goal tonight. Two passes? Enough said. And I realize I sound like a hypocrite because I just said that Henning should let Henne throw the ball but in that situation you need to at least run once. And if you throw a fade throw it to the beast not Hartline.

Well that's all I really have to say. feels good to get it out. I hope that Dan Henning can evolve with our players. That will be the key to our season in my opinion.

Go Fins

Glad they gave Henne the reigns, but some really questionable calls come to mind..

Second downs, in our 3 games I don't like our 2nd down calls. Tonight, 2nd and 15 and we go wildcat for a short gain?! why tell the D you are running on 2nd and long? The 1st and goal play on a fade to Hartline? Awful... how about a slant to bess? They were prepared for the fade ala minnesota game...

we had chances to win and the Slipping really ****ed us.. on the 1st Td and Edwards breakaway. We left points on the board... too many FG's. I know at 14-7, you take the 3 points, but i know we would have converted 4th and short to get the TD to tie it at the half. We moved on their D at will...

I don't like our 2nd down calls.

Couldn't agree more. I saw one good second down call that was memorable which was the 2nd and 1 bootleg that Marshall caught for about a 10 yard game. The pass is okay in that situation because with the bootleg you have 3 options, pass, run, and trow the ball away. Plus you still have a 3rd and short if things go bad.

But Hennings bad 2nd down calls greatly outnumber the good ones.

Back
Top Bottom