Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by gafin, Jan 5, 2014.

1. gafin

gafin A True Fan

Pretty good article by Le Batard:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/05/3852778/dan-lebatard-miami-dolphins-owner.html

2. ProStyle

ProStyle Well-Known Member

Dan LeBatard is an idiot and hopelessly inhuman

3. gafin

gafin A True Fan

It's easy to let emotions get the best of you after the way the season ended, I'm guilty as charged. The only thing we can do is hope for the best, it's not like we make any of the decisions anyway or can do anything about the situation.

4. jvw

jvw Starter

Maybe some truth to why he hasn't fired Ireland but when he does he will never work as a GM again.....Ireland should have tried to keep Ross off that plane and if he couldn't let Ross fire him then he would get a 2nd chance somewhere else......Loyalty is what Munchak did, he will work again and standing on principles people respect, being a lap dog to your boss may keep you employed but no one will respect you...when this is all said and done, I hope someone asks him if he would do it again, would love to know the answer....

5. 100% Dolphins

100% Dolphins Starter

Lebefart and Ross both have something in common...they both are horrible at what they do!

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Dumb AZZ article . All these poor ignorant fans wanting Ireland fired because of five non winning seasons, the friggin audacity of them lol.
    I guess Ross is just much smarter than any other owner or he is just some jackazz with a lot of money that owns an nfl team

7. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

La Batard has made a career of taking the contrarian view of any issue.

8. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Great article. Thank you for posting. I had never really thought about the failed pursuit of Jim Harbaugh to coach the Dolphins as a defining moment in Stephen Ross' ownership of the Dolphins but this all makes sense. Ross had the people instincts to identify that Sparano wasn't cutting it and to see that Jim Harbaugh was likely to be successful. But he lacked the experience as an owner to ask the important football related questions and needed Ireland to join him. Ross' action ultimately pitted Ireland against Sparano and Parcells.
    Stephen Ross' instincts were proven correct, but the loyalty not shown to Sparano has been rewarded with incredible loyalty to Ireland. My read is that Ireland knows that if he survives, then this is his last chance. One sometimes think of billionaire owners as being cutthroat and ruthless and from the Harbaugh flirtation, I assumed that Stephen Ross was just being pragmatic. After all, Sparano really was failing and all of the big fist pumps for field goals didn't fool us. That plane trip to meet with Jim Harbaugh cost Jeff Ireland his friendships with the Big Tuna and the Meathead, but it solidified his relationship with Ross. Ireland knows he needs to now deliver the talent to make further progress. Sometimes circumstances force a surprising result. Let's hope so.

9. Pelorus Jack

Pelorus Jack Well-Known Member

I have it from an inside source that both Ross and LeBatard are aliens from Ur-anus..

10. spiketex

You realize that Ross is a self made billiionaire and the biggest real estate developer in New York City. Some would be bold enough to consider him a success.

11. Pelorus Jack

Pelorus Jack Well-Known Member

Ross is to be respected for his business acumen - I personally am still hopeful that he will get the Dolphins on the right path via some good decisions in the near future.

even with him being an alien bent on human domination and all :)

12. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

wow!!!!

spot on article. and so many bashing it when EVERYTHING the guy wrote is truth.

ross put himself and this team in a cant win spiral starting with his harbaugh mess. KNOWING he knew NOTHING of his new biz en devour, he didnt bother to get with someone who knew what [and what not] to do. and we are paying the price. friends, families, careers, reputations and a 40 year top of the nfl franchise gone in 60 seconds.

this is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST WHATS WRONG WITH MIAMI article written in the last 4 years. hands down. dont hear anything about the content, only a lot of bashing and writing about the writer [whos no better or worse than any other sports hack]. this one just happens to write one that knocks it out of the park.

it points up the REAL trouble in miami and how futile things are at this point. and how it probably will be with mr... i was disloyal but im really a loyal guy ross at the helm.

there has been much discussion lately about who should come in, a gm, czar, etc..... . it is BLATANTLY apparent that what we need with clueless ross is a czar. ross needs to do NOTHING more than to write the checks and watch the win/loss column. because in the end, thats ALL its about, winning and losing. and ross better start making decisions based on those two things alone [remember jimmy johnson, don shula, bill walsh, tom landry, vince lombardi, bill billichek].

these guys who wait years to do the right thing only to hope that ONE winning season appears so they can go, "see, we know what were doing. sometimes it takes 14 years. now lets forget all that past stuff". thats what is in ross's and irelands minds right now. saving face, no matter how many years at the finz and their fans expense.

13. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

LeBetard is actaully very good at what he does.

14. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Eitherway! We should all fully expect a decision this week.

15. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm not sure I fully get the "Ross is terrible owner' crowd. I may not agree with every move he makes, but the guy is trying! He is spending money, he has engaged fans, he is concerned about the "Dolphins" brand and he seems geniune in wanting to do the right thing. He may be going through a learning curve.....but the guy is smart and I'm sure he didn't become a success real estate developer repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Lets give this a chance. I don't know if he will make any changes or not, but I do know he is more familiar with what is going on than any of we are......

16. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

very, very successful..................... in real estate.

were talking FOOTBALL here, not houses and commercial property. and just because a guy is successful in one thing does NOT mean he is successful at everything he touches. nfl football and real estate have NOTHING to do with each other. ZERO!!

papa john can build a big time pizza empire, but i bet he wouldnt do the same with a lumber contract or auto sales biz.

i dont care that ross has sold zillion dollar homes to the new york jets players and brass, i want him to field a CONSISTANT, WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!

17. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Lebetard misses one very important reason why they may all be staying.

Ryan Tannehill in year 3.

Why the f cant any of you figure that out? Because your only interested in what fans think or the past, or somebody's faults.

The blessing in disguise is we know why we failed. The Oline needs the engine taken out and every part replaced that is wrong and fix it and put the damn engine back in.

You cannot succeed with a guy who quits the team leaving two starters causing havoc with an already crappy line playing as it was with all the commotion and expect to be a playoff team. Their were circumstances here beyond peoples control. How bout that embarrassment? Is Jeff Ireland responsible for a rogue douchebag with liberal lawyers for parents? That sheet is unheard of in the football world. Which is why most of the football world cant even grasp what the hell actually happened that a football player acts like a 5th grader and leaves.

Nobody can understand that. It was amazing that we were in teh drivers seat to begin with to get in the playoffs.

And Lebatard is right about one thing. Another 8-8 team showers their coach with gatorade and misses playoffs and he is a hero?

18. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

every gm and coach are "trying". trying doesnt get it. close enough is only good in hand grenades and horseshoes!!

i have yet to get a number from the "save ireland and ross" crowd. whats the number your willing to withstand before you say, ok, time to change". before YOU are saying enough is enough?

7 years? 15 years? 21?

when do YOU look and say "ok, were losers. time to do something"?

19. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Most guys that do well at one business can do well at others, simply because after the product itself,
    it's about all of the same principals.

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Astute business mind and choosing Gm's and coaches of football teams don't always go hand in hand. If it was from a pure business standpoint he would jettison the gm that cannot build a winner ,its not like not making the playoff has paid dividends. Football in some ways is like these business's like getting stadiums done and figuring out ways to gain more revenue but that's about it.
    Jerry Jones is the epitome of football business man and that's why he rakes in way more dollars than any other owner.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I don't believe that any coach or GM is not trying to win. Im sure they want to do well and keep their job. Not every GM has the luxury of an owner letting u go 5 straight non winning seasons

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

He has been the majority owner for 5 years . Just because he is a successful business man does not mean he is a good owner. The NFL has 32 successful business men and not are all good owners

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Well we were on pace to set a dolphin sack record before that incident happened and we still had the same crappy oline before and after

21. NorthernFin

NorthernFin Scout Team

I find this the most interesting part of the article:

The last two games — two games! — don’t change how good or bad of a general manager he actually is. He’s the same general manager either way.

I thought about this during the season, as the press and fans flipped back and forth on how good/bad Ireland was. Ireland's fate seemed to switch every two or three games yet his work was pretty much done before the trade dead line. This is why I don't blame everything on Jeff. We had enough talent to beat Indy, Atlanta, Pitt, and New England, but not enough talent to beat the Bucs, the Bills twice, and the Jets. There is plenty of blame to go around - Sherman, Philbin, Ireland, throw in some bad luck (Martin) and you get the picture.

22. spiketex

People also seem to forget that Miami beat 4 AFC finalists (New England, Cincinatti, Indy and San Diego) in the course of the season. This team is not the basket case that some fans suggest.

23. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well the line sucked and this was his baby from day one. AT the end of the day we are basically the same team as last year with tons of money spent and plenty of draft picks.
    I blame the gm more because he built this team but personally Im quite ready for the owner to bring in a cleaner and put his people in. We have not hired a GM to build this team since well since most of us were born

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

It also lost to Buffalo twice, Tampa Bay and the Jets at home. Good teams don't lose the final two weeks to teams like the Jets and Bills without even showing up. We were not even in those games with playoffs on the line.

25. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

My greatest concern is the timing of this indecision. Mr. Ross and his close group of advisors should have been ready (discreetly) and prepared for the possibility this collapse. They should have lined up their OC/DC and head coach possibilities long before we beat Pittsburgh and New England. We shouldn't be scrambling for a new "dance partner" this late in the game.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

New England lost to us with Playoff implications on the line. But, I understand and agree with your point, we should have won 3/4 of the ones we lost.

26. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like Le Batard a lot. His show on ESPN is as good as any they have. But it's because he's a genuinely funny guy (as is B. Jones) talking about sports - not because he has great insight (Jones is better in this regard). I hope Ireland is gone, and I'd be happy to move on from Philbin, but, jeebus, don't get your panties in a bunch. Le Batard is more than happy to play devil's advocate. If you're coming to him as a key source of insight, you're missing the forest . . .

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Ne was in the playoffs regardless and at least they showed up in that game unlike us versus the friggin jets and bills.
    On any given sunday any team can win but not many teams don't show up two weeks in a row with playoffs on line.

28. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Which brings me to my NUMBER ONE PET PEEVE OF ALL TIME (so bad it deserves all caps):

QBs in particular, and teams, are judged by their last game. Remember when Matt Ryan was awesome? Now he's crap. Except, he's still really good. What about Sanch? Remember when he was soaked to the bone in winner sauce? How did that work out.

To run a football team you have to be a lot smarter than the people who think with their emotional reactions (aka, fans and media). And yet... the pressure of fans and media is actually very important from a business standpoint, so there you go.

edit: I wrote s-a-n-c-h-e-z originally and it was auto replaced by buttfumble! Practical hack joke?

29. z926538

z926538 Rookie

You never will get that number -- all that crowd cares about is their emotional attachments to imagined personalities. They are never concerned with the good of the team or the production of a superior product. This is liberalism at its finest. People's feeling being more important than the quality of the product.

30. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yeah if you must err its better to err on the side of continuity rather than being too rash. We only see a snippet of what goes on in the organization, I would have killed Ireland for the Albert trade but I didn't know Martin was skipping out on training camp or allegedly suicidal, for instance.

LeBatard is right that there is a lot of luck in picking great players and I'm sure a lot of good GMs have been fired simply because they were unlucky, but with Ireland its not just the talent evaluation that he's been average to bad at, its the overall strategy:

-In 2011 we did almost nothing to improve the team after coming off a 7-9 season, standing still is going backwards in the NFL, thats true of every team from SB champs all the way down to 7-9 teams.
    -Demanding offset language is dumb, did we have it on Martin's contract? Does anybody give a **** at this point?
    -burning bridges with guys like Parcells and even Sparano, you need to be as connected and networked as possible to get in on trade opportunities like the Boldin trade for instance.
    -Not extending players until recently. Its the one advantage teams have to keep their young talent from testing the open market, assuming you extend the right guys its win-win for the organization and the player.
    -Taking a left tackle with the first overall pick when you need a QB--DUMB. Trading up for Daniel Thomas with Ryan Mallet sitting there and you still need a QB--DUMB
    -but the most egregious of all his management mistakes is the way we're building around Tannehill, we were a year behind on getting him weapons in the passing game. We were a year behind on solidifying the offense by insuring we had a good line, good backs and good depth. By looking at our cap situation its obvious he was attempting to peak in year 3 but we needed to and should have peaked in year 2. You never know what the future holds, you can't bank on anything.

Somebody here had a great sig and it most definitely applies for Ireland: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

31. Cleetus

Cleetus Well-Known Member

No we are not a basket case but we are nothing more than a mediocre team, and not just last year, for years now. So lets keep the status quo and enjoy another cup of 6-8 wins and no playoffs next year. Then maybe Ross will get fed up and fire Ireland and rebuilding will begin years after it could have.

32. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

[​IMG] This pic is BEGGING for a caption. 'You're gonna fire me? Just remember- I still have those pictures of you with the goat, Steve'.

33. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

Just about every NFL owner is a billionaire, or a collective group of multi-millionaires (GB being an exception). That's relevant to one's ability to own a team, but it isn't relevant to one's running a team well. And unless you have some offensive and/or defensive stats on properties, I don't see how running a business equates to NFL success either. There are plenty of very successful business people who have ran failed NFL teams.

Stop using this as an excuse. The O-line was bad before Martin quit. Many of us were screaming about how bad the O-line was during the pre-season ...some even before that. That the O-line sucked during the season was only a surprise to people that weren't paying attention ...and Jeff Ireland.

I agree with that. But Ireland was bad before the last two games. And while there may be a small percentage of people who changed their minds about Ireland after the last two games, there were plenty who recognized his shortcomings long before that. Those last two games are more indicative of how bad a coaching staff might be.

So now we don't just applaud medicrity; we applaud inconsistency as well?

You were fine until you put that last bit in there and made this political. I've been calling for Ireland to go for years and I promise you I'd be a strong candidate for the most liberal guy on here. We're talking football. Personal political biases have nothing to do with this.

34. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

What I saw this year was flashes of hope, but largely just "Inconsistency" in all parts of the game.

Indy was a fantastic win. That was my main glimmer of hope, but some of our other wins were quite ugly despite me still being happy for the team. Cleveland in a nailbiter for most of the game. The Falcons without a lot of players, in a nailbiter. Pittsburgh on a fluke music city miracle that Almost worked. The Patriots without Gronk. Cincinatti losing Geno Atkins mid-game. Chargers in a nailbiter. I'm proud that we won them all, but I also realize that squeaking by each week isn't a formula for long-term success.

Losing to a winless TB team, the Bills twice (once after a BYE, once during playoff hopes), the Jets during playoff hopes, the weakened Ravens, getting manhandled by the Saints on prime-time. These losses weren't "bad days" -- they were Miami's winning gameplans getting purely exposed, and all at crucial times.

Last year we were 7-9. The same inconsistent team. All that means is that it took 1 game sooner for us to realize we weren't getting in the playoffs. It's actually Worse this year because we were in the driver's seat down the stretch, and still blew it.

We're not a Bad team. We're excruciatingly Average; an Any Given Sunday kind of team. I understand that greatness can come from humble beginnings, and it's a slow process to the top, but inconsistency has remained from year 1, and may very well continue into year 3. Many areas of this team have actually regressed since last year. This isn't an elite playoffs team in the making until some serious changes to the team makeup and philosophy occur.

If Ross doesn't want this to continue, he needs to do something about it, not just keep handing out extensions like they're Christmas cards.

35. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

This only makes me more pissed off. How do we do that and crap out against buffalo and Tampa?

36. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Disagree. I believe Philbin's philosophy is the QB is what wins or loses in this league and he's building a team that culminates around that core principle. He's building a team that will stay as even keel as possible, maybe not winning games on their own but certainly not losing games either. If the QB plays well we will win. If the QB plays like **** we will lose. If the QB takes a step up next year, and thats a big if, we can win a lot of games with this philosophy.

Here's an exercise I went through to try to quantify what I'm talking about (its not complete by any stretch and the sample size is relatively tiny but its interesting none the less), win% when the QB has a passer rating of 90 or higher:

Jim Harbaugh: 93%
    Joe Philbin: 92%
    Bill Belichick: 91%
    Marvin Lewis: 90%
    John Harbaugh: 81%
    Jim Schwartz: 76%
    Phillip Rivers coaches: 69%
    Tony Romo coaches: 56%
    Tony Sparano: 56%

37. sixzero

sixzero Well-Known Member

It didn't matter if we made the playoffs or not. If we won the final two games and lost in the playoffs, we would be demanding for changes from the top.

38. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Yeah...

By far the best in our market

The rest of the clowns are suck ups for the dolphins.

39. studsatele

studsatele Starter Super Donator Donator

God its depressing to be a fan of this team. Its like being held hostage, but the hostage takers dont want anything, but for you to be a hostage.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Donator

Dan Le Batard is entertaining. I like his radio program.

But by his own admission he doesn't really know a damn thing about football. He just likes writing human interest stories about athletes. And that's fine, because his radio show is still pretty funny and I still listen to it sometimes, but I'm pretty sure he knows less about football than my mom.

41. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

My read on all this is really simple. Ross is juggling having an incredibly poor reputation due to Harbaugh fiasco, with making a hard decision in the best interest of his investment.

The Wells report gives him cover to make changes that needed and show the NFL community that Ross is not a meddling owner ala Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder.

Good will goes a long way in the limited circle that is the NFL.

I expect Irish to be shown the door as well some members of the coaching staff. If the report is damning enough than clean sweep might be coming.

42. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

The whole torn protagonist angle with Ireland getting on the plane to see Harbaugh is ridiculous. He's been in NFL front offices long enough to know that isn't the procedure in the NFL. If Lebatard's statement is correct, them not wanting agents to get news of their trip is evidence enough they both knew what they were doing was wrong. Jeff Ireland had to get on that plane to keep food on his table for his family? He wouldn't of found another position in the league based on a strong showing of character and loyalty standing up to Ross? The irony is by showing "loyalty" to Ross by getting on that plane, he now has a backstabbing enigma to him that will follow him wherever he goes around the league, who is going to want to work with him now? That won't get put on the backburner until he shows he can produce a winning product.......... good luck with that.

43. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Emotions are emotions. Business is business. The Dolphins fans in south Florida are now emotionless and let business speak for itself. No product, crappy product = no fans in the stands.

Oh yeah, Mr Ross. Loyalty and nepotism does not only exists in the ranks of NFL football employees but also among fans: I convinced 5 of my friends to dump their tickets too. You just lost approximately 30 season tickets in the Prime 400 sections and lower level. It may not be much but it is a start.

44. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

That about sums it up.

45. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Le Batard and his pseudo intellectual detachment from the reality of sports is just so ****ing moving. This is a business. Ross is a businessman. Ireland even having the opportunity is a gift many people in this world would kill for. I'm tired of accountability being viewed as something inhuman. Far from it. If Ross believes this is loyalty he's showing then he is entirely misguided. The greater loyalty should be to the fanbase and the team whose successes and failures affect millions of lives worldwide. Ireland has had ample opportunity. The idea that the Harbaugh pursuit put Ireland in a bad spot is silly since Sparano had no future with this team anyway and Ross was under no obligation to keep Ireland in the first place.

46. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Awesome way to put it.

47. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

My loyalty lies with the Miami Dolphins not with the ever revolving door of players and staff. My friends and I thank you as I continue to accrue excellent seats.

48. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

It's a column, not an article. LeBetard hasn't written articles in decades. These days after his hiatus from the Herald the columns are infrequent and long winded, as if he's relaying great wisdom from afar.

I don't pay much attention to his opinions because he's more of an entertainer than a sports analyst. I can't listen to his radio show because very low percentage is actually devoted to sports talk, as opposed to gutter humor or wandering ramblings. When he does take a stand invariably it's wrong, like when he insisted moving to Sun Life wouldn't hurt the Canes while Cote was adamant that you couldn't afford to get rid of the Orange Bowl with its surreal home field advantage and significance to the history of the community.

Two games shouldn't matter, in either direction. Ross should have a big picture overview and plan. If all you do is react to the most recent result, you might define it as being human but it's exactly the same thing I've witnessed among sportsbook losing bettors for decades, yapping and scurrying around without any focus other than the last thing they saw. A franchise owner should be better than that.

IMO, Ross should realize that the margins in this league are so narrow that you need ultra special people at the key positions to even have a chance of reaching the ultimate prize. Jeff Ireland has provided more than enough evidence that he's not elite.

49. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Donator

Sig worthy.

50. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

That is true, the "philosophy" itself is not necessarily flawed.
    What I meant by changing it is, I think our team is under-prepared for this style. If Philbin wants to prove that he can get this system working, then he needs to make sweeping changes to the way this offense rolls. It's struggling far too much just trying to stay afloat. He said it himself in his opening presser when he came to Miami "[paraphrasing] We're not trying to implant what we did at Green Bay into Miami directly. This is a different set of players with different strengths, and we're going to have to do it our own way." I don't get that vibe when I watch the games. Tannehill's weaknesses were more apparent than ever this year, and a lot of times I don't think it was his fault. I think he was being forced to make awkward plays in extremely tough situations, falling into defensive traps, relying on weak units, confined to the pocket, and not getting a healthy running-game attack to help him.

For Tannehill to get that 90 passer rating or above, he's going to need a lot of help from his supporting cast and coaches. I'd like to think it's as easy as "Just get rid of Sherman, and it should be fine, right?" but the more I think about it, how much of the problem was really Sherman, and how much was it Philbin sticking to his guns?