Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Le Batard: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross guilty of being human

You realize that Ross is a self made billiionaire and the biggest real estate developer in New York City. Some would be bold enough to consider him a success.

very, very successful..................... in real estate.

were talking FOOTBALL here, not houses and commercial property. and just because a guy is successful in one thing does NOT mean he is successful at everything he touches. nfl football and real estate have NOTHING to do with each other. ZERO!!

papa john can build a big time pizza empire, but i bet he wouldnt do the same with a lumber contract or auto sales biz.

i dont care that ross has sold zillion dollar homes to the new york jets players and brass, i want him to field a CONSISTANT, WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!

Lebetard misses one very important reason why they may all be staying.

Ryan Tannehill in year 3.

Why the f cant any of you figure that out? Because your only interested in what fans think or the past, or somebody's faults.

The blessing in disguise is we know why we failed. The Oline needs the engine taken out and every part replaced that is wrong and fix it and put the damn engine back in.

You cannot succeed with a guy who quits the team leaving two starters causing havoc with an already crappy line playing as it was with all the commotion and expect to be a playoff team. Their were circumstances here beyond peoples control. How bout that embarrassment? Is Jeff Ireland responsible for a rogue douchebag with liberal lawyers for parents? That sheet is unheard of in the football world. Which is why most of the football world cant even grasp what the hell actually happened that a football player acts like a 5th grader and leaves.

Nobody can understand that. It was amazing that we were in teh drivers seat to begin with to get in the playoffs.

And Lebatard is right about one thing. Another 8-8 team showers their coach with gatorade and misses playoffs and he is a hero?

but the guy is trying!

every gm and coach are "trying". trying doesnt get it. close enough is only good in hand grenades and horseshoes!!

i have yet to get a number from the "save ireland and ross" crowd. whats the number your willing to withstand before you say, ok, time to change". before YOU are saying enough is enough?

7 years? 15 years? 21?

when do YOU look and say "ok, were losers. time to do something"?

very, very successful..................... in real estate.

were talking FOOTBALL here, not houses and commercial property. and just because a guy is successful in one thing does NOT mean he is successful at everything he touches. nfl football and real estate have NOTHING to do with each other. ZERO!!

papa john can build a big time pizza empire, but i bet he wouldnt do the same with a lumber contract or auto sales biz.

i dont care that ross has sold zillion dollar homes to the new york jets players and brass, i want him to field a CONSISTANT, WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!
Most guys that do well at one business can do well at others, simply because after the product itself,
it's about all of the same principals.

Most guys that do well at one business can do well at others, simply because after the product itself,
it's about all of the same principals.

Astute business mind and choosing Gm's and coaches of football teams don't always go hand in hand. If it was from a pure business standpoint he would jettison the gm that cannot build a winner ,its not like not making the playoff has paid dividends. Football in some ways is like these business's like getting stadiums done and figuring out ways to gain more revenue but that's about it.
Jerry Jones is the epitome of football business man and that's why he rakes in way more dollars than any other owner.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I don't believe that any coach or GM is not trying to win. Im sure they want to do well and keep their job. Not every GM has the luxury of an owner letting u go 5 straight non winning seasons

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

I'm not sure I fully get the "Ross is terrible owner' crowd. I may not agree with every move he makes, but the guy is trying! He is spending money, he has engaged fans, he is concerned about the "Dolphins" brand and he seems geniune in wanting to do the right thing. He may be going through a learning curve.....but the guy is smart and I'm sure he didn't become a success real estate developer repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Lets give this a chance. I don't know if he will make any changes or not, but I do know he is more familiar with what is going on than any of we are......

He has been the majority owner for 5 years . Just because he is a successful business man does not mean he is a good owner. The NFL has 32 successful business men and not are all good owners

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Lebetard misses one very important reason why they may all be staying.

Ryan Tannehill in year 3.

Why the f cant any of you figure that out? Because your only interested in what fans think or the past, or somebody's faults.

The blessing in disguise is we know why we failed. The Oline needs the engine taken out and every part replaced that is wrong and fix it and put the damn engine back in.

You cannot succeed with a guy who quits the team leaving two starters causing havoc with an already crappy line playing as it was with all the commotion and expect to be a playoff team. Their were circumstances here beyond peoples control. How bout that embarrassment? Is Jeff Ireland responsible for a rogue douchebag with liberal lawyers for parents? That sheet is unheard of in the football world. Which is why most of the football world cant even grasp what the hell actually happened that a football player acts like a 5th grader and leaves.

Nobody can understand that. It was amazing that we were in teh drivers seat to begin with to get in the playoffs.

And Lebatard is right about one thing. Another 8-8 team showers their coach with gatorade and misses playoffs and he is a hero?

Well we were on pace to set a dolphin sack record before that incident happened and we still had the same crappy oline before and after

I find this the most interesting part of the article:

The last two games — two games! — don’t change how good or bad of a general manager he actually is. He’s the same general manager either way.

I thought about this during the season, as the press and fans flipped back and forth on how good/bad Ireland was. Ireland's fate seemed to switch every two or three games yet his work was pretty much done before the trade dead line. This is why I don't blame everything on Jeff. We had enough talent to beat Indy, Atlanta, Pitt, and New England, but not enough talent to beat the Bucs, the Bills twice, and the Jets. There is plenty of blame to go around - Sherman, Philbin, Ireland, throw in some bad luck (Martin) and you get the picture.

The last two games — two games! — don’t change how good or bad of a general manager he actually is. He’s the same general manager either way.

I thought about this during the season, as the press and fans flipped back and forth on how good/bad Ireland was. Ireland's fate seemed to switch every two or three games yet his work was pretty much done before the trade dead line. This is why I don't blame everything on Jeff. We had enough talent to beat Indy, Atlanta, Pitt, and New England, but not enough talent to beat the Bucs, the Bills twice, and the Jets. There is plenty of blame to go around - Sherman, Philbin, Ireland, throw in some bad luck (Martin) and you get the picture.
People also seem to forget that Miami beat 4 AFC finalists (New England, Cincinatti, Indy and San Diego) in the course of the season. This team is not the basket case that some fans suggest.

Well the line sucked and this was his baby from day one. AT the end of the day we are basically the same team as last year with tons of money spent and plenty of draft picks.
I blame the gm more because he built this team but personally Im quite ready for the owner to bring in a cleaner and put his people in. We have not hired a GM to build this team since well since most of us were born

People also seem to forget that Miami beat 4 AFC finalists (New England, Cincinatti, Indy and San Diego) in the course of the season. This team is not the basket case that some fans suggest.

It also lost to Buffalo twice, Tampa Bay and the Jets at home. Good teams don't lose the final two weeks to teams like the Jets and Bills without even showing up. We were not even in those games with playoffs on the line.

My greatest concern is the timing of this indecision. Mr. Ross and his close group of advisors should have been ready (discreetly) and prepared for the possibility this collapse. They should have lined up their OC/DC and head coach possibilities long before we beat Pittsburgh and New England. We shouldn't be scrambling for a new "dance partner" this late in the game.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

It also lost to Buffalo twice, Tampa Bay and the Jets at home. Good teams don't lose the final two weeks to teams like the Jets and Bills without even showing up. We were not even in those games with playoffs on the line.

New England lost to us with Playoff implications on the line. But, I understand and agree with your point, we should have won 3/4 of the ones we lost.

I like Le Batard a lot. His show on ESPN is as good as any they have. But it's because he's a genuinely funny guy (as is B. Jones) talking about sports - not because he has great insight (Jones is better in this regard). I hope Ireland is gone, and I'd be happy to move on from Philbin, but, jeebus, don't get your panties in a bunch. Le Batard is more than happy to play devil's advocate. If you're coming to him as a key source of insight, you're missing the forest . . .

My greatest concern is the timing of this indecision. Mr. Ross and his close group of advisors should have been ready (discreetly) and prepared for the possibility this collapse. They should have lined up their OC/DC and head coach possibilities long before we beat Pittsburgh and New England. We shouldn't be scrambling for a new "dance partner" this late in the game.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

New England lost to us with Playoff implications on the line. But, I understand and agree with your point, we should have won 3/4 of the ones we lost.

Ne was in the playoffs regardless and at least they showed up in that game unlike us versus the friggin jets and bills.
On any given sunday any team can win but not many teams don't show up two weeks in a row with playoffs on line.

Which brings me to my NUMBER ONE PET PEEVE OF ALL TIME (so bad it deserves all caps):

QBs in particular, and teams, are judged by their last game. Remember when Matt Ryan was awesome? Now he's crap. Except, he's still really good. What about Sanch? Remember when he was soaked to the bone in winner sauce? How did that work out.

To run a football team you have to be a lot smarter than the people who think with their emotional reactions (aka, fans and media). And yet... the pressure of fans and media is actually very important from a business standpoint, so there you go.

edit: I wrote s-a-n-c-h-e-z originally and it was auto replaced by buttfumble! Practical hack joke?

every gm and coach are "trying". trying doesnt get it. close enough is only good in hand grenades and horseshoes!!

i have yet to get a number from the "save ireland and ross" crowd. whats the number your willing to withstand before you say, ok, time to change". before YOU are saying enough is enough?

7 years? 15 years? 21?

when do YOU look and say "ok, were losers. time to do something"?

You never will get that number -- all that crowd cares about is their emotional attachments to imagined personalities. They are never concerned with the good of the team or the production of a superior product. This is liberalism at its finest. People's feeling being more important than the quality of the product.

I'm not sure I fully get the "Ross is terrible owner' crowd. I may not agree with every move he makes, but the guy is trying! He is spending money, he has engaged fans, he is concerned about the "Dolphins" brand and he seems geniune in wanting to do the right thing. He may be going through a learning curve.....but the guy is smart and I'm sure he didn't become a success real estate developer repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Lets give this a chance. I don't know if he will make any changes or not, but I do know he is more familiar with what is going on than any of we are......

Yeah if you must err its better to err on the side of continuity rather than being too rash. We only see a snippet of what goes on in the organization, I would have killed Ireland for the Albert trade but I didn't know Martin was skipping out on training camp or allegedly suicidal, for instance.

LeBatard is right that there is a lot of luck in picking great players and I'm sure a lot of good GMs have been fired simply because they were unlucky, but with Ireland its not just the talent evaluation that he's been average to bad at, its the overall strategy:

-In 2011 we did almost nothing to improve the team after coming off a 7-9 season, standing still is going backwards in the NFL, thats true of every team from SB champs all the way down to 7-9 teams.
-Demanding offset language is dumb, did we have it on Martin's contract? Does anybody give a **** at this point?
-burning bridges with guys like Parcells and even Sparano, you need to be as connected and networked as possible to get in on trade opportunities like the Boldin trade for instance.
-Not extending players until recently. Its the one advantage teams have to keep their young talent from testing the open market, assuming you extend the right guys its win-win for the organization and the player.
-Taking a left tackle with the first overall pick when you need a QB--DUMB. Trading up for Daniel Thomas with Ryan Mallet sitting there and you still need a QB--DUMB
-but the most egregious of all his management mistakes is the way we're building around Tannehill, we were a year behind on getting him weapons in the passing game. We were a year behind on solidifying the offense by insuring we had a good line, good backs and good depth. By looking at our cap situation its obvious he was attempting to peak in year 3 but we needed to and should have peaked in year 2. You never know what the future holds, you can't bank on anything.

Somebody here had a great sig and it most definitely applies for Ireland: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Back
Top Bottom