Daniel Thomas

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphinsbshaw72, May 2, 2011.

1. dolphinsbshaw72

dolphinsbshaw72 Well-Known Member

Scouts Inc. says: Lacks great top-end speed. Does not show ideal burst to consistently turn the corner in the NFL. But he does have a bit of a second-gear when he reaches the second level and can bounce some runs to the outside. Most importantly, he has excellent lateral agility for a back his size. Displays short-area burst to get to and through the line of scrimmage. Slippery runner. Can slither through a tight crease as well as any big back in this draft. Nimble on feet and shows good lateral movement/change-of-direction skills to make defenders miss in confined areas.

Almost 3000yds and 30 tds in 2 seasons.. Not bad.. This kid could be special..

2. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I like the pick. I hate how they went about getting him.

3. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Every draft pick has positives and negatives. Let's see if his talent makes him successful in the NFL.

4. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

yep, if he can be ronnie brown without the injuries we'll do just fine with this pick. (and please don't mention ronnie browns "speed", I'm more than sure injuries and age have robbed him of that speed, thank goodness he still has outstanding vision and doesn't dance around in the backfield... wait...)

5. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

i personally like the pick, i think he will be good

6. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

As with Chad Henne, Daniel Thomas is being given every chance by this organization to be a big success in the NFL. It will be really interesting to see who the Dolphins acquire to compliment/use as a contingency plan for both players.

-And no, the team's work isn't done until they get contingency plans for both of these guys. Those two positions are too important to have the wildcards we have there.

7. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Oh the boy has potential that is for sure!

[video=youtube;KCsgxRveJjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCsgxRveJjg&feature=related[/video]

8. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Which is almost exactly what Mark Ingram is.

Hmmm...

9. Wildbill3

that spin move at 2:30 was sick.

10. dolphinsjayshaw

dolphinsjayshaw Starter

wow...lateral movement is fantastic...first tacklers are going to have a hard time bringing him down

11. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Very strong lower body - looks good

12. Nawledge

Nawledge Scout Team

his line at KSU sucked....i would love to see him behind a good line, if we can get the line ssituation fixed this kid could be a beast.

13. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

Should have drafted Ryan "Marino" Mallett.

14. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Daniel Thomas is going to have a TON of pressure on him to be good since most wanted a QB at that spot. Here's to hoping he is as good as Jake Long at living up to the challenge.

15. Phinatic8u

:lol:

16. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

love his burst through the line. he runs most of his stuff single back to. i think with our improved line, and hopefully an improved polite this guy will have a good year.

17. Mr Fan

Mr Fan The return of tradition

His running style is almost straight up, very little body lean. He is going to take alot of punishment.

18. Phinatic8u

True, but he still will be a very productive back IMO

19. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

That's the one thing I noticed when I watched the Universal Draft video of him. His O-Line is terrible, and yet he still managed 1600 yards and 19 TD's at 5.3 YPC.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

He's only been playing RB 2 years. Running closer to the ground can be coached.

20. JEDIJ007

JEDIJ007 It's a trap! Finheaven VIP

he will be garbage just like all the other picks.

21. Wildbill3

seriously?

22. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

What I like is his vision and patience to see the holes and cut-back lanes, wait for them to open up, then he has the juke and explosion to hit the holes for additional yardage. He is definitely not Chris Johnson with his speed but it is more than adequate and his style fits the Dolphins current philosophy, be that as it may. After seeing the videos of him, he is certainly a lot like Ronnie but seems to have far better vision, first moves, and cut-back ability that Ronnie ever dared to have. How many times has Ronnie left tons of additional yards on the table by running into the pile or missing the cut-back lane. Like most of you, I am not crazy about us continuing to run the Wildcat but if we are, this kid appears to be a great trigger-man as he can find the seams and hit them quickly as well as throw and fake the throw (the fake jump-pass was killer!). I wasn't thrilled at first but am liking this pick a whole lot more.

23. PAT13

PAT13 canadian fin fan

I'm not saying he will become Adrian Peterson but the way he runs with the ball remind me a lot of him.

24. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Are you talking about what gave up to get him? To go from the 3rd round to the 2nd round, all they had to give up was a 5th and 7th round pick, it wasn't really that bad of a trade. In fact, according the the draft pick value chart, the Dolphins came out with more points than the Redskins.

25. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

The thing I like about him is that he has proven he can be a 20-30 carry a game back, that is something Ronnie was never able to do. By the end of his time in Miami, I think they actually feared giving him more than 10-15 carries a game because he was so prone to injury. Sadly if Ronnie would have been the complete feature back, he probably doesn't finish the year last season.

26. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm liking this pick more and more every day. You don't need insane speed to be a good rb, like say Steven Jackson for example.

27. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

is it just me, or it's a young version of Ronnie Brown ???

28. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Maybe. If you're implying the Ronnie before his whole dancing syndrome. Let's hope this kid is a bit more durable. Ronnie wasn't awful by any means (not worth 2nd pick) before he was getting hurt and started dancing. We better fix this kids fumbling and the straight up running though. The video I saw of this kid what I liked was his cuts and how he seems to anticipate the defenders and almost set them up.

29. dolphinsbshaw72

Look at it this way.. Hopefully things are true about Mallet and he brings that team down when he screws up..lol

30. dolphinsbshaw72

Kid hasn't stepped foot on the field and you are trashing him already.. This draft was solid.. Not flashy.. Just solid..

31. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

He has awesome balance, does not go down on 1st hit, seems to have pretty good vision, some quick thinking to keep the play alive for a few more yards.

32. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

He looks like someone who, unlike Ronnie, won't dance at the line looking for his lane. He's just gonna go, and plow as many people as he can on his way there.

33. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Steven Jackson is one of the players Daniel Thomas compares himself to.

34. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

That is a great comparison.

35. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

There were a lot of good RBs left on the board. My hunch is that they really liked Mikel Leshore and Daniel Thomas. When LeShore was taken they were prepared to give up the other picks because they rated Thomas so highly. Unusual for them to give up picks like that.

36. justdev7

justdev7 Rookie

This isn't a shot at DT but every time I watch that video I just think that there were other backs with his running ability still available. But there defiantly were not any backs with his hands and his pass protection ability so maybe that was a big part of the equation. I'm sure he'll be a successful RB and having a guy that can play every down allows us to seek out a 2nd RB that can fulfill the need for explosiveness. I'm never going to agree with the pick but I definitely don't have anything against DT and I'm sure he'll be successful. And who knows, maybe we'll get Barkley or Landry Jones next year. (Not getting Andrew Luck, the Panthers and Redskins will be very very very very very bad, and the Cardinals)

37. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I agree with you and as you can see below a tope analyst did too. There were 4 backs with the required size and talent they were targeting and they were all off the board except Thomas when they traded up. They were Ingram, Leshore, William from VT and Thomas. Thats why they made the move they felt they could not gamble in this draft. I keep saying if they could have traded from the 15th pick the entire 1st half of our draft may have changed with that 2nd rounder. We may have gotter Ingram and or Pouncy then the 2nd round would have been either the offensive line or Thomas if the OL was picked in the first round which means Mallet might have been a phin today.

Rick Gosselin's NFL draft gems
    A
    Text Size

Published 30 April 2011 11:48 PM
    Related items
    Here are the draft picks viewed by NFL writer Rick Gosselin as the best values in each round:

First round - NICK FAIRLEY, DT, DETROIT: The Lions had a choice between DTs Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy with the second overall pick in 2010. They took Suh. Fairley is better than McCoy, and the Lions got him at 13. A dynamic pass rusher.
    Second round - DANIEL THOMAS, HB, MIAMI:
    The prototypical big back in this draft at 6-0, 230 pounds, the Dolphins stole Thomas at the end of the round with the 62nd pick. He punished the Big 12 for 1,585 yards and 19 touchdowns last season.

38. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

when i was a kid they taught to hit n spin and you just do see that much anymore these days.

39. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

yaaaa, we replaced Ricky Williams or Ronnie Brown. yaaaaa

40. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

P.S. On his highlight reel I loved those 6-9 yard runs he kept ripping off......

41. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

He's comfortable at RB for only playing there a couple years. He's decisive, and he changes gears subtly (with good patience), which I had not not seen out of most of the other guys available.