Darren Rizzi says Jakeem Grant is disappointed and working hard in the offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darren Rizzi says Jakeem Grant is disappointed and working hard in the offseason

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Darren Rizzi will have a punter competition this spring. (Allen Eyestone/The Post)

Assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi said Saturday that punt returner Jakeem Grant has been working hard on his own during the offseason and that both he and the Miami Dolphins are eager to see improvement on the punt return abilities of the sixth-round draft pick from 2016.

“Jakeem certainly has the experience behind him,” said Rizzi. “If we were going to play a game today, he would be the guy but we don’t play a game for a long time.
“He was disappointed how last year went. He does believe in his mind that was the Jakeem Grant he wants everybody to see and he’s determined to make a major jump in his game so I’m excited to get him out there.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...in-his-returns-and-working-hard-in-offseason/

He can do special things if he can just hold on to the ball. It's definitely a mental hurdle I think he can overcome, but whether he does or not is another thing.

I'm not so sure, fielding punts isn't for everyone. Some people just aren't good at it. I remember Jerry Rice struggled with it. For Grant it seems vital for his NFL future that he master that area. If he can't hold down punt return duties he's going to have to show starting caliber skills in the slot to stick around in the league.

I don't know. Can anyone name a NFL player that started off as a poor punt returner and then became good?

Punt/kickoff returns seems to be something that you have a knack for or you don't.

I don't know. Can anyone name a NFL player that started off as a poor punt returner and then became good?

Punt/kickoff returns seems to be something that you have a knack for or you don't.

Devin Hester dropped a ton of punts as a rookie. Actually Tyreek Hill dropped several punts last season too, however he made enough plays that people were willing to overlook them. Hill and Grant are both listed with 4 fumbles in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I have noticed is a lot of players who return kicks in the NFL don't necessarily have experience from college. Most likely because someone who is more expendable (injury wise) is also good at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I have noticed is a lot of players who return kicks in the NFL don't necessarily have experience from college. Most likely because someone who is more expendable (injury wise) is also good at it

I can't recall many NFL returners that had zero punt returns in college as Grant did.

Hope he had a hand transplant

He better work hard because this is his last chance. He's already lost the KR duties to Drake as far as I'm concerned. Jarvis may not offer as much potential explosiveness on PR. But we know he's more like to hold onto the ball.

I think last ear he was still adjusting to the speed of the game. Yes, he's both fast and quick, but mentally you have to see things and react a lot quicker than you do in college. Let's see if things slow down for him this season and he's able to have the vision that would really make him dangerous for us.

Jakeem and Parker are my two sleepers to wake up this year and take the Dolphins offense and ST play to another level. For Jakeem, that's both offense and ST. I've listen to two different coaches talk about how good Parker looks, that's Tannehill off season coach and today our OC, C. Christensen. I can't wait to see a consistent Parker do what he did to the Rams last year. Take over games. I think Jakeem, with the ball in his hands is very dangerous. A hitch pass can go the distance with him. His KO and punt returns could make our return teams elite. I didn't say much about him last year, because I know the first year is an adjustment. But this year I'm excited.

Back
Top Bottom