Davone Bess is a Playmaker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shouright, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Shouright

Shouright Banned Hammered

According to this website, Davone Bess was 18th in the league in 2012 in Win Probability Added (11th in the league in Win Probability Added per game), which is defined as follows:

Not all "plays" are touchdowns, and not all "plays" involve tremendous YAC. Sometimes a play is a clutch third-down catch that sustains a key drive in a game and keeps your team in the running for a win that day. Many times a "play" is related more to the mentality a guy plays with (i.e., stepping up in the clutch, wanting the ball, and giving 110% effort to get it) and the little things he does (i.e., route-running, ball skills, etc.) than to his combine measurables and his explosive ability as measured by his 40 time and vertical jump.

Davone Bess is a playmaker, folks. You've seen it yourself time and time again, and I think many of you are taking it for granted.

[video=youtube;6lxgjPED1Us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lxgjPED1Us[/video]

You don't trade players like these for fourth-round picks.

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Premise of thread is in error.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

No he isnt. I love Bess but he isnt a playmaker.

4. Surferosa

Surferosa Run to Daylight

Agree Shouright. Im excited about the prospect of Austin like many others (which may cloud my perception of Bess) but that does not take away from the fact the Davone is a very effective weapon in our passing game. Thanks for sharing.

5. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

He's not a play maker. He's a solid WR who moves the chains.

6. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

He's a bum.

7. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

i like Bess, too, but he's a dime a dozen.

8. zmill

zmill Active Member

I won't ever understand why this dude gets so unappreciated around here. Sometimes I come on here just to feel better about my life, you guys are all so scorned and negative. Bess moves the chains well and doesn't drop anything. When you have depth, sure-handed route-runners are great.

9. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Bess gets injured at the most critical time of the year. Now were we playoff team? no, but thats not where Philbin plans to be this year. He wants guys who can make it through a season. Which if the trade rumour is indeed about Bess, its time to move on. The time is right if you can get something for him.

10. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

That's probably a little harsh WV, but if you can get a fifth round pick for him, with as deep as this draft is at WR, you take it and run. And you shed a little salary in the process. IMHO depending how the draft goes, he could be a cap casualty in the fall anyway.

11. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

I saw him drop several key throws last year.

What I didnt see was Bess putting it in the endzone.

12. J. David Wannyheimer

He did have a couple of critical drops last season. Everyone conveniently forgets those, I guess.

If you're going to make your living off of having sure hands and nothing else, you'd better have sure hands.

13. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Bess did drop quite few last year. More than normal...

But, he was also covered like a blanket most of the time because we had no one but Hartline as the other WR. I'm sure that duo sent fear into every CB's heart last year...

14. DolphinCurry

DolphinCurry Well-Known Member

I agree, if we trade Bess, especially to a team like the Colts, we will regret it like we regretted trading Wes Welker. Bess is highly under-appreciated and he and Hartline played well last year even though the BOTH played out of position last year. Now having Mike Wallace, we should expect Bess to be even better next year, (same for Hartline by the way) because he can simply focus on playing slot, which he's amazing at. As a slot receiver, Bess may well be the best player at his position that we have on the team. The only challenge to this would be Pouncey and now maybe Wallace. I'm saying "as a slot receiver" which as I said he was asked to play out of position last year. If he goes to a team that already has ones and twos (wide receivers) he will suddenly look alot better because he can focus on his role - slot - and all the people who dont appreciate him now will suddenly be lamenting why did we let him go and wondering why Bess is now suddenly so good. His workout routine is legendary, his practise habits are legendary, he's a true pro, he's made so many important catches for us, like first down conversions etc and catches that were crucial. If the ball is anywhere near him he catches it. He very very rarely ever makes a drop. Our loss if we let him go.

15. Shouright

What I bolded is what I think is happening here by and large, but I can give you a rundown of players with Austin's measurables who've done nothing significant in the league, whereas Bess has done plenty and is a game-winner. The odds are against Austin's ever attaining the level of success Bess has in the league.

16. Shouright

I'd be interested to see your analysis of the success rate of fifth-round wide receivers, even in "deep" drafts at the position. I suspect less than one percent of them attain the success Davone Bess has in the league. And I suspect that's true for even third-round receivers, and perhaps even second-round ones, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  17. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

Stop looking at this in a vacuum.

18. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Where did I say we should draft a receiver with a fifth round pick should we be lucky enough to get one for Bess? We should be taking a WR in the first three rounds this year. That's where there is value. Any good GM is ALWAYS looking to replace the veteran players on there teams with younger, cheaper talent.

19. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

What I didn't see was Hartline putting it in the end zone as well.

20. joeys139

joeys139 Rookie

Say that he isn't a playmaker all you want but w/o bess the league would be talking about tannehill as unclutch and can't get it done on 3rd down because bess was literally the ONLY receiver that tannehill could have went too and I think having him was crucial for Tannys development, also bess is probably the only slot receiver in the nfl who doesn't have the space to make the huge play because we had nothing stretching the field on the boundaries therefore our middle of the field filled w/ extra defenders

21. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

If he's a plamaker they just wasted a lot of money on WR's in free agency....

321 career catches and only 1 of 'em ever went for 40 yards..... 41 to be exact.

I'll trade this guy for a 4th round pick and feel excellent about it. You cannot run an offense through this guy and ever achieve offensive success... thus why Miami's offense has been poor despite the significance of his contributions towards it.

Bess is a playmaker the same way Jake Long is.... the only time he impacts a game is when he doesn't do his job.

22. J. David Wannyheimer

Calling Davone Bess a playmaker is the sort of thing that causes the word 'playmaker' to lose all meaning.

Career averages in 5 seasons: 64 rec, 689yds, 10.7avg, 2.4tds, 3.2fum

That's a playmaker? 10.7 career average yards per catch? More fumbles than touchdowns in his 5 year NFL career? This is what we call a 'playmaker' now?

23. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

It's amazing....

When I saw the title thread, I was thinking.... What crappy little stat did someone find to make this true.

24. J. David Wannyheimer

I just took a dump this morning after I woke up. I'm a playmaker.

25. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

Playmakers score TD's.

26. Shouright

0.3 percent.

Wes Welker: 768 career catches, 13 for 40+ yards. 1.7 percent.

Now, to avoid looking at this in a vacuum, I suspect we should also consider the players around them and the strength of the teams they've played for, to help make sense of the one and a half percent difference between Davone Bess and Wes Welker.

27. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Bess is a nice player but he can be upgraded. If you can upgrade him you do it. Besides it may be wise to trade him for something before losing him for nothing since this may be his last year in Miami as he's a FA after the season.

28. DolphinCurry

DolphinCurry Well-Known Member

Exactly.

29. HarryBagpipe

Lol. I guess I should of drew pictures and used finger puppets for you instead.

30. J. David Wannyheimer

Anybody who watched sixteen Dolphins games last season and came to the conclusion that Davone Bess was an indispensable asset who made Ryan Tannehill look better than he should have looked has probably only watched sixteen football games in his life.

And probably conveniently ignored the parts of the games when opposing teams had the ball.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Come up with an absurd, indefensible premise and just mash your head into the wall as hard as you can. Eventually, you will win the argument.

31. TedSlimmJr

Welker can make plays vertically down the field... see the 99 yarder against Miami. Bess cannot make plays vertically down the field even when the opportunity is there. Bess down the seam matched up in man coverage cost Tannehill an easy touchdown last year because he couldn't seperate.

Davone Bess couldn't score 9 TD's against green grass with Johnny Unitas throwing him the football.

32. Shouright

Lots of weak responses here folks. I'll jump back into the conversation when there's something with any objective meat on it.

33. HarryBagpipe

Thanks. We'll be waiting

34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Bess has one reception over 40 yards for his entire career.

35. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

How conceited and arrogant. You create a thread, and then get mad when people give their opinions in it.

I remember you. You are the same guy who compared Sparano to BB.

36. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Bess is someone that we can live with. Would it be nice to upgrade him. Yes. But is he a position we "have to" upgrade...no.

37. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Without Bess, Miami will need to find another guy to fair catch punts 75% of the time and to return the other 25% of them 5 yards.

38. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

very objective post lol

39. TedSlimmJr

Look through this guy's post history at all the stat spinning nonsensical threads just like this one that he's provided you in order to defend bum after bum.

This guy has to be an engineer with that attitude and knack for spinning digits.... I deal with 'em everyday.

40. Shouright

"If you can't attack the evidence, attack the witness; if you can't attack the witness, bang on the table."