Davone Bess is a Playmaker | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Davone Bess is a Playmaker

I'd add Cecil Shorts to that list Slimm. Maybe Andrew Hawkins as well.

Ironically, everything being said about Bess in this thread was argued about Wes Welker when he was going to the Patriots. Everyone was thrilled to let him go despite his work ethic and clutch plays because his stats in Miami included only one touchdown. A small minority of us felt it was a big mistake to let him go and knew he was under appreciated and undervalued. I think the minority called it right. I believe the same thing is true about Bess.

Welker didn't become a different player overnight, he just finally had a real coach, gameplan and QB. Bess has labored under Sparano, Henne, Moore and some of the worst game plans ever during the bulk of his career and has been clutch on 3rd down with a 10.7 yard average. Definitely not glamorous, but the same offense couldn't make Brandon Marshal look decent.

Trading Bess won't kill the team, but every time Luck finds a way to move the chains with him on fourth and long it will suck to remember he was a better weapon than we gave him credit for in Miami.

Give Bess another season with complementary weapons on offense, a real QB and respectable gameplan and I believe he will show up big...certainly bigger than any no-name 4th round pick this front office will end up cutting within three seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welker was already a more explosive player in Miami than Bess was ever going to be. Welker had a history of taking kickoffs back for TD's before he left Miami.

You won't see any 2nd round tenders for Davone Bess.

Actually Bess and Welker are similar players except when it comes to speed. But that makes all the difference. Bess is just too slow to ever be a playmaker. He's a solid football player that happens to be replaceable. If you can get solid compensation for him, or replace him with a cheaper, more talented rookie you do it.

Here's a slot receiver we could have/should have drafted in the third round. This is what a playmaker looks like. Take notes:

[video=youtube;jwpdfYB5R_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwpdfYB5R_8[/video]

Note the presence of actual plays being made in this video.

Thanks for ruining my day. Hilton might have made the difference in us going to the playoffs last season.

Wallace, Hilton, Hartline, Keller would be a hell of a receiving corps and we would be in a much easier position going into the draft.

If Bess is such a weapon , shouldn't teams be beating down our door offering 2nd or 3rd round picks for him?

Thanks for ruining my day. Hilton might have made the difference in us going to the playoffs last season.

Wallace, Hilton, Hartline, Keller would be a hell of a receiving corps and we would be in a much easier position going into the draft.

As good as Hilton is, it makes the thread surmising Bess might be headed to the Colts look ridiculous. Why would they want to trade a pick for a player who isn't close to the player you already have in the slot?

Without even considering the TE's who operate split out wide in the slot, these are the slot receivers I'd take over Davone Bess immediately without even thinking about it.... I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Percy Harvin
Wes Welker
Harry Douglas
Lance Moore
Victor Cruz
Emmanuel Sanders
T.Y. Hilton
Randall Cobb
Doug Baldwin
Danny Amendola
Of those, only Welker and Cobb had a better WPA per game than Bess, and by only 0.01 and 0.02 points, respectively.

That's probably a little harsh WV, but if you can get a fifth round pick for him, with as deep as this draft is at WR, you take it and run. And you shed a little salary in the process. IMHO depending how the draft goes, he could be a cap casualty in the fall anyway.

That's not just a little harsh, that was just straight dumb.

Look through this guy's post history at all the stat spinning nonsensical threads just like this one that he's provided you in order to defend bum after bum.

This guy has to be an engineer with that attitude and knack for spinning digits.... I deal with 'em everyday.
I remember the thread advocating Matt Moore as the starter of the future

Of those, only Welker and Cobb had a better WPA per game than Bess, and by only 0.01 and 0.02 points, respectively.

Unfortunately, the league's talent evaluators don't use this irrelevant statistic to make their personnel decisions. That's why a guy like Percy Harvin draws a 1st rounder + some, and Davone Bess couldn't come close. Otherwise, Miami might be able to fleece someone in a trade for Bess. Again, unfortunately that's not reality.

Rest assured we'll all keep WPA in mind when Davone Bess surpasses Victor Cruz.

Well I've been saying for a while now that Jeremy Kerley is way better than Steve Smith, and it looks like we've finally found someone who agrees with me! :lol:

Chaz Schilens ranked a dozen spots above Larry Fitzgerald. Too much.

Unfortunately, the league's talent evaluators don't use this irrelevant statistic to make their personnel decisions. That's why a guy like Percy Harvin draws a 1st rounder + some, and Davone Bess couldn't come close. Otherwise, Miami might be able to fleece someone in a trade for Bess. Again, unfortunately that's not reality.

The argument is that Bess is a playmaker. The best measure of playmaking ability is WPA. What the Dolphins could or should get in trade for Bess is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom