Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st

WARNING: The link is to an Omar Kelly article. Only click if you want to support Omar Kelly. I've already made that mistake unfortunately.

Personally, I wish they would have taken the trade offer. I mean, sure, "Black Ice" is going to help the pass rush, but he is a poor run defender and trading back to get more draft picks sure seems like the way to go in this talent-rich draft.

They mention that the Dolphins had targeted 2 players and Harris was one of them. I'm guessing the other player was Derek Barnett.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolphins turned down two trade offers to remain at No. 22

WARNING: The link is to an Omar Kelly article. Only click if you want to support Omar Kelly. I've already made that mistake unfortunately.

Personally, I wish they would have taken the trade offer. I mean, sure, "Black Ice" is going to help the pass rush, but he is a poor run defender and trading back to get more draft picks sure seems like the way to go in this talent-rich draft.

What Omar wrote about trading down is directly from the Chris Grier press conference. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay attention to it, either. :chuckle:

Trade back for what in return? That's the question.

We know Atlanta offered at least their First round pick, 3rd round pick and 7th round, that's what they gave Seattle for the 26th pick and Rapaport mentioned Atlanta was trying to trade with Miami before our pick was made.

An extra 3rd and 7th and still could have had Reuben Foster or another pick. Bill Polian said he would not take Harris in the 1st round no matter what. Too small and not explosive enough, very few 4.8 forty guys pan out and the ones that do are usually much bigger.

Do you see anything on tape in terms of his shortcoming that isn't teachable or techniques he can learn or awareness that will come with more playing time? I find it shocking that he only started playing football 6 years ago, and he still managed to be as productive as he was. In my mind, his lack of playing experience kind of explains his deficiencies.

Do you see anything on tape in terms of his shortcoming that isn't teachable or techniques he can learn or awareness that will come with more playing time? I find it shocking that he only started playing football 6 years ago, and he still managed to be as productive as he was. In my mind, his lack of playing experience kind of explains his deficiencies.

Yes there are things that can't be coached up, he's on the small side and does not appear to be strong at the point of attack or explosive. His measurable only further prove this point. Slow 40 time (4.82), poor 3 cone (7.47), Below average vertical jump and bench press. All that and he is undersized. I've mentioned it in previous threads but Bill Polian said he would never take him in the first round, too small and not explosive enough.

The bulk of his highlights are from 3 games against poor OLs. Against the better teams on their schedule he was completely neutralized.

When looking for a comparison, tough to find a succesful one. Terrell Suggs was 15 pounds heavier and slotted to be a 3-4 OLB.

i was a lot more stoked on the pick last night....was the whiskey and the aftermath of waiting 3 hours to see our pick....

now not so much....trading back would've been the right move and taking either foster or willis.

Yes there are things that can't be coached up, he's on the small side and does not appear to be strong at the point of attack or explosive. His measurable only further prove this point. Slow 40 time (4.82), poor 3 cone (7.47), Below average vertical jump and bench press. All that and he is undersized. I've mentioned it in previous threads but Bill Polian said he would never take him in the first round, too small and not explosive enough.

The bulk of his highlights are from 3 games against poor OLs. Against the better teams on their schedule he was completely neutralized.

I honestly don't agree. He is particularly explosive, with a great get-off. That's his strength as a player right now. He's only an inch shorter and the same weight as Jordan Willis, who is considered a decent run defender as a DE. And he performed much better at his pro day than the combine. Willis was my preferred pick, but I'm not unhappy with Harris. I think he has a very high ceiling. My only concern given his shortcomings and lack of experience is his coach-ability. He definitely has some learning to do.

That forty time is a mirage. He jumped 5 1/2 inches higher on his pro day but declined to run the forty again. Said his legs felt heavy at the combine.

Nothing about him is slow on tape. He's the best fit for the wide nine and he has room to grow.

Crazy to think that we could've gotten Foster or Lamp and another 3rd. Big whiff.

That forty time is a mirage. He jumped 5 1/2 inches higher on his pro day but declined to run the forty again. Said his legs felt heavy at the combine.

Nothing about him is slow on tape. He's the best fit for the wide nine and he has room to grow.

who knows. if i'm convinced im faster than my timed 40, i run again on my Pro Day. but maybe that's just me. oh, and the legs will occasionally feel heavy in games as well.

We know Atlanta offered at least their First round pick, 3rd round pick and 7th round, that's what they gave Seattle for the 26th pick and Rapaport mentioned Atlanta was trying to trade with Miami before our pick was made.

An extra 3rd and 7th and still could have had Reuben Foster or another pick. Bill Polian said he would not take Harris in the 1st round no matter what. Too small and not explosive enough, very few 4.8 forty guys pan out and the ones that do are usually much bigger.

A 1st, 3rd, and 7th...and we said no?

This is the same thinking that landed us Carroo...we had to get "our guy". Well that guy is no different than the next guy after him "Willis", and we get a chance to rectify a portion of last year's debacle. I was all about O-Line until I saw all the defensive talent slipping in the round. But Harris...and you said no to a trade?

In Gase We Trust my foot...

Coach the games guy...leave the talent evaluation to...oh my, we're screwed. :bobdole:

I agree w/ this. If we traded back and took say Watt, you'd have a bunch on this site whining that he's not a good fit. The Fins can do no right in some "fans" eyes.

Ya, I get it, trade back sounds good, but they have their reasons for standing pat. Let's give the kid a chance. Everybody is a GM today! SMH

Polian has lost his mind if that was really his take on Harris. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom