Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 1 Dolphins Press Conference/Miami turned down trades in 1st

I like Harris but not enough to not trade out. Miami could have gained some much needed picks and still get a good DE in Willis

We don't know what the trade down offers were. So you all can speculate all you want. In the end they got the guy they felt they needed.

I like Willis, but he is in no way close to the pass rusher that Harris is today. I'm usually in favor of getting more picks, but I'm ok with this pick. Dropped right in Miamis lap.

We don't know what the trade down offers were. So you all can speculate all you want. In the end they got the guy they felt they needed.

Fair point. Last year's waist of a 3rd and 4th for Caroo is still impacting us. We need more middle round picks with this draft.

Who else has that size and spin move in the draft? Crazy balance with that spin.

For an extra 3rd round pick, I would've been up for trading down a few spots and staying in the first round and picking up Foster or Willis. Apparently, scouts around the league were high on Charles Harris, so he probably would've been drafted in the first round regardless of what Miami did. But it seems like Miami really wanted Harris so instead of taking the options to trade down they didn't want to risk it and took the player they wanted. Sometimes you have to stick to your guns and not get greedy.

I hope it pans out for the Dolphins. Otherwise I'll be on my wagon with my pitchfork along with the rest of the townfolk.

Do you see anything on tape in terms of his shortcoming that isn't teachable or techniques he can learn or awareness that will come with more playing time? I find it shocking that he only started playing football 6 years ago, and he still managed to be as productive as he was. In my mind, his lack of playing experience kind of explains his deficiencies.

I think almost all of his shortcomings are teachable. He is like a basketball player who only wants to shoot the ball, but isn't willing to set screens or pass or play defense. There is a large amount of the game that requires "want to" and some guys know where their bread is buttered and simply don't want to do the grunt work. I see Harris as one of those.

Grier kept underlining his love for football. IMHO, that's because he wants to re-assure fans about it, since there are real issues there questioning his willingness to work at all of his craft, not just pass rush. I hope Grier is correct.

Harris has a squatty build, so he uses that low to the ground frame to his advantage in leverage, but he isn't good at corralling RB's, or even breaking down to put himself into position to react to their movement. That can all be taught, but Harris needs to implement the teaching. Right now, he is far more concerned with making a flashy play. He wants the QB hit, or the big hit on the RB in the backfield. Once the RB has juked him, he gives up ... because of a lack of "want to" expend all that energy chasing the play down from the back side. This is common among collegiate stars ... but not an admirable trait. Myles Garrett is a bit like this too with regards to effort.

I don't think his shortcomings are from a lack of experience or a lack of coaching. But, they may not have been stressed quite as strongly as I suspect Gase & Co. will stress these things. I also get the sense that the leaders of the defense, like Cam Wake in particular, will reach this kid in a way that his college coaches couldn't. Seeing a better version of himself--better in every way--will instantly widen Harris' eyes and hopefully his mind to the teachings of a great mentor, Cam Wake.

Was Charles Harris the best pick we could have made? Not sure on that one. Was the Dolphins the best landing spot Charles Harris could have had? Yeah, I actually think it is. While we usually think that team X or Y would have been a more ideal fit for a player, in this instance I believe that the Dolphins, with Wake, is the best place he could have gone.

Almost everything that is a negative about this kid is correctable, as long as he has the "want to" fix it. The best possible support system of carrot and stick will be here if he is willing to change his outlook and become the best team player he can be.

A 1st, 3rd, and 7th...and we said no?

This is the same thinking that landed us Carroo...we had to get "our guy". Well that guy is no different than the next guy after him "Willis", and we get a chance to rectify a portion of last year's debacle. I was all about O-Line until I saw all the defensive talent slipping in the round. But Harris...and you said no to a trade?

In Gase We Trust my foot...

Coach the games guy...leave the talent evaluation to...oh my, we're screwed. :bobdole:

No one has the exact info on what Miami was offered by Atlanta. If it was the same as what Seattle got then I'd say it was a mistake to not pull the trigger. The draft is a crapshoot as it is so having as many picks gives you the chance to not **** up.

Overreact though as per usual.

I agree, I don't see anything that isn't fixable with concerns to Harris's game.

He gets lost with option offense. Coachable. He tries to go for the tackle or sack before he beats his man. Coachable. He doesn't read the offensive scheme well. Coachable.

I'm not worried with guys like Gase and Wake to coach'em up.

I think almost all of his shortcomings are teachable. He is like a basketball player who only wants to shoot the ball, but isn't willing to set screens or pass or play defense. There is a large amount of the game that requires "want to" and some guys know where their bread is buttered and simply don't want to do the grunt work. I see Harris as one of those.

Grier kept underlining his love for football. IMHO, that's because he wants to re-assure fans about it, since there are real issues there questioning his willingness to work at all of his craft, not just pass rush. I hope Grier is correct.

Harris has a squatty build, so he uses that low to the ground frame to his advantage in leverage, but he isn't good at corralling RB's, or even breaking down to put himself into position to react to their movement. That can all be taught, but Harris needs to implement the teaching. Right now, he is far more concerned with making a flashy play. He wants the QB hit, or the big hit on the RB in the backfield. Once the RB has juked him, he gives up ... because of a lack of "want to" expend all that energy chasing the play down from the back side. This is common among collegiate stars ... but not an admirable trait. Myles Garrett is a bit like this too with regards to effort.

I don't think his shortcomings are from a lack of experience or a lack of coaching. But, they may not have been stressed quite as strongly as I suspect Gase & Co. will stress these things. I also get the sense that the leaders of the defense, like Cam Wake in particular, will reach this kid in a way that his college coaches couldn't. Seeing a better version of himself--better in every way--will instantly widen Harris' eyes and hopefully his mind to the teachings of a great mentor, Cam Wake.

Was Charles Harris the best pick we could have made? Not sure on that one. Was the Dolphins the best landing spot Charles Harris could have had? Yeah, I actually think it is. While we usually think that team X or Y would have been a more ideal fit for a player, in this instance I believe that the Dolphins, with Wake, is the best place he could have gone.

Almost everything that is a negative about this kid is correctable, as long as he has the "want to" fix it. The best possible support system of carrot and stick will be here if he is willing to change his outlook and become the best team player he can be.

Gets a little more exciting when you think of him lining up opposite end with Wake.

Thank you. Good stuff. I always appreciate the thought and balance you put into your posts.

That forty time is a mirage. He jumped 5 1/2 inches higher on his pro day but declined to run the forty again. Said his legs felt heavy at the combine.

Nothing about him is slow on tape. He's the best fit for the wide nine and he has room to grow.

What the hell does that even mean "room to grow"? Are you saying he will get physically larger? I suspect that would slow him down further. Are you saying he will get better? Playing against the Pats is not the same as beating up a Vanderbilt OT. I doubt that sets him up for "improvement". Bad pick. I'm sorry, it is what it is. Polian is dead on correct. Jordan Willis would have been a better pick if you had to have a pass rushing DE.

Back
Top Bottom