DeAndre Hopkins at 12?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by slider732, Jan 1, 2013.

1. slider732

slider732 Long time poster on ESPN Fins Board

If this kid declares, how do we not take him? 1400 yds receiving, 18 tds. That's pretty absurd for a short college season.

Sign Wallace, Bowe or Jennings, then draft this kid in addition to hartline, Bess, and Matthews. We'd have a pretty solid corps.

thoughts?

2. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

He's great! Without him no way Clemson beats LSU. Is he fast enough?

3. slider732

Thats why I was thinking Wallace is a must

4. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

This draft is wayyyy too deep at WR to be reaching for Hopkins at 12. Get a defensive stud with the first round pick and maybe in round 2 you can take a guy like Robert Woods, who would be an ideal fit for this offense.

5. phinnatic91

phinnatic91 Member

Hes the best wr I have seen inn the bowl games so far and to get 180 yds and 2 td against a sec defense and a real good one at that and the #1 rated safety back there also...Hopkins earned his 1st rd grade..

6. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

12? That's way too early.

7. slider732

I'm thinking:
    1: this is the weakest we class in years, it's deep, but deep in mediocrity.

2: Hopkins is young an a game changing wr. 12 might not be too early. And with this team only scoring 280 points this year, o is what we need

8. RZA

RZA Scout Team

Yep that's why we better go large in FA AND draft some WR's

9. Kdawg954

Stedman Bailey is still being mocked as a 4th round WR . . . and that guy is an absolute stud. There may not be any AJ Greens or Megatrons . . . but I haven't seen a WR class this talented in overall depth . . . hell maybe never, we'll see how the declarations of underclassmen finish.

Did you really call this WR class weak?

10. Kdawg954

Fact is, it doesn't seem like Joe Philbin's Modus Operandi to go after the "flashy" WR . . . He'd prefer the solid hands, solid route running, smart type of WR. Not saying Hopkins doesn't present that, but at 12 I think WR is pretty much off the table IMO. Obvioulsy that can change depending how FA goes.

11. slider732

Almost every draft prognosticator is calling this draft class the weakest in years.

12. Kdawg954

Sure you don't have that elite QB prospect (Luck/RGIII), or the elite athletic freaks at the skill positions (Trent Richardson / AJ Green / Julio Jones). . . . but this draft is STRONG/DEEP in 2 areas that we need help . . . . WR and DE (pass rusher). In Miami's case . . . it works in their favor that this draft's bread and butter will be in rounds 2/3 . . . where they have 4 picks.

Miami is in a position to take the BPA in round 1 . . . and then have some great pickings at WR/DE/CB in rounds 2 and 3.

13. slider732

Everything I've read is the two positions where it is deep is o line and d line, wr is not as deep as you say it is. Show me that in wrong.

14. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

What does Hopkins run?

15. slider732

Last year was deep. You had TY Hilton go in the 6th, along with Chris givens and others. This years draft doesn't touch that.

16. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

At 12????

How does anyone figure he's worth it at 12?? He's a decent WR racking up gaudy numbers against very bad defenses in the ACC.

Their are several guys that you take ahead of Hopkins.

17. WaxOn WaxOff

WaxOn WaxOff Starter Finheaven VIP

I love Hopkins, but I want a pass rusher in the first. GET BEN WALLACE. There will be a good WR in rd 2.

18. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

:bobdole:

You obviously need to stay off of ESPN.

19. WaxOn WaxOff

Did you miss the LSU game? He caught a buck-eighty and 2TDs against that vaunted D.

20. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

thats way to high for him. the only wrs i would take at 12 is patterson and allen

21. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

theres 5 guys i would take in front of hopkins. 12 would be an enormous reach when you can get a guy thats twice as good as him or has twice the potential of him instead.

22. WaxOn WaxOff

And who is it that catches 360 yds and 4 TDs against LSU's D?

23. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

allen, woods, hunter, patterson, patton, wheaton, swope, williams, austin, bailey, hopkins just to name a few really good wrs. so how is it not deep?

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

pretty good looking depth wr class from my to date study...maybe no dez bryant or andre johnson in the class but plenty of guys that will help teams in a big way in the pros...and plenty of guys that would upgrade the position in miami

as for hopkins #12 is too rich...

25. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Maybe without the Junior WR's it was, but it's deep with all the guys declaring early now. Like other said, there are no Fitz's, Megatrons, or AJ's, but there are a ton of guys that can play in the league in this draft. Also a deep draft at OT and DE which we need as well. The only position we need to re-tool that looks thin is CB.

26. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Vaunted? What a myth lol. That defense along with many other defenses in the SEC is so overrated. Clemson was a bad matchup for LSU and even though LSU should have won that game due to Clemson shooting themselves in the foot over and over, Les Miles and his good troop let them sneak in the back door and win it.

One that final drive, how many times did Clemson run that same sideline route to Hopkins? If that right there doesn't tell you that LSU's "vaunted" defense isn't so vaunted afterall then I don't know what will.

27. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

TY Hilton went in the 3rd last year, And 9 WR's went in the first two rounds. Between 10-13 are projected to go in the 1st round in 2013 at this point. It's AT LEAST as deep a class as last years.

28. Kevlared

you really want to judge him off of one game? by that logic geno is worthy of the first overall pick since he completely shredded LSU's defense last year. he had a good game. with that said. there are still 4 wideouts in this draft that are IMO are better than him, and a 5th being debatable.

29. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

All productive WRs, great for a Philbin system, similar to what GB has going for them, great productivity and efficiency, no Alpha WR...How many rings do Megatron, Larry Fitz, and Andre Johnson, TO, and Ochocinco have? none...Get 2 from that list, suddenly RT has open targets!!

30. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I did see a mock where Woods fell to Miami in the 2nd. Can't recall who the 1st rd was.

If the phins reach in the 1st it s/b for Montgomery (LSU DE). Miami should take long hard look @ the Clemson TE if they don't get Eifert.

31. WaxOn WaxOff

One game? He is second in the nation to Stedman Bailey in TD receptions and has a higher ypc average than Bailey. He is on the leaderboard for pretty much any WR stat that you want to measure. He did this playing across from Sammy Watkins, who also had alot of targets. He did this while playing only the first half of several games because the starters were yanked due to big leads. Yes, he did it against the ACC, but he had no choice in that as he could only play his schedule.

he did play 3 SEC teams this year and his average for those 3 games was 9 catches for 118yds and 1.3 TDs per outing.

32. WaxOn WaxOff

If not Woods there WILL be a very good WR for us in the second. Maybe even Hopkins. I don't care for Montgomery. I'd rather have Mingo or Okafor. Clemson TE Ford does not excite me. Late round project at best.

33. WaxOn WaxOff

Two from that list? I'd take Megatron and Fitz, then. In all seriousness, I am hoping we get a proven WR in FA and one off this list. Breaking in two rookie WRs is tough. We also need the picks for other positions.

34. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Deandre Hopkins is a very good WR IMO and this class is loaded with good WR's.

This wr class may have the most wr drafted ever!!

35. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

im pretty much locked into 3 players who fit and who would turn this offense into 25-30 point offense.

Jennings, Bailey, and Tyler Eifert. Bailey is just a guy who plays the game with flair and attitude ala steve smith as i beleive Datruth compared him to. After watching the Syracuse bowl game i agree.

36. KingDolphin57

KingDolphin57 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind having Hopkins on this team.

37. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

You can argue that Sammy Watkins drew most of the attention from the defense so he pretty much saw single coverage for most of every game too. Also, one of the SEC teams he played was Auburn who was garbage this year and their defense ranked 81st out of 120. Against South Carolina he had just 1 catch for 43 yards and it was a TD but he was shutdown for the most part. And yes the ACC was awful in defense this past season. In 2011 the ACC had 6 teams in the top 50 in total defense, this past season that dropped to 4 teams compared to the SEC that had 7 teams this past season.

I'm not saying this guy isn't a good WR but you guys are having the same knee jerk reaction to a big game that happens after a loss for the Dolphins during the season. If Sammy Watkins doesn't get hurt on the first play of the game Hopkins probably doesn't see 20+ passes thrown his way but he cashed in so good for him.

38. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

#12 overall? No. #42 overall? Yes.

39. Kevlared

he can play. no one is questioning that. i'm just saying that there are at least 4 other receivers that will more than likely be picked before him because they are either better than him or have an higher upside than him. would i take him at 12. hell no. taking him at 12 when you have better players than him on the board at DE, CB, and WR would make no sense. would i take him in round 2? definitely. but there is no way that im taking hopkins over guys like allen, austin, hunter, or patterson. regardless of the stats he puts up.

40. WaxOn WaxOff

You could argue that, but it would be a failed arguement. Hopkin's biggest games stat wise came when Sammy was not in the lineup. Sammy was suspend then hurt, then hurt again. Hopkin's stats dropped when Sammy was in the lineup. For Hopkins, his draft position is likely tied to his 40 time. At 4.4 he will go before the Dolphins pick in second round. At 4.5 we have a chance round two. In truth though, I think a real TE like Ertz is a more pressing need, as there are only 2 real difference makers that might come out. There are plenty of WRs that could be WR2 in the NFL coming out this year. I am not sure there are ANY WR1s in this draft.

I take a pass rusher 1st, 2a I pray one of the two TEs are available, and 2b gets a WR in my draft. That all depends on who we sign, and who the BPA is when we pick at 12. And for the record, while I have defended Hopkins, I wouldn't pock him at 12 for the Fins, but wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the first, esp. if he runs 4.4.

41. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I'm a fan of Hopkins. Definitely prefer him to Williams or Hunter. If we're hellbent on taking a WR 1st then we're going to have to trade down. There are no unquestioned superstar WRs in this draft yet so many interesting later round choices. Why would we sacrifice BPA by reaching for a WR at 12 when we'll still be in position to pick up a Bailey, Wilson, Wheaton, Patterson, King in later rounds.