Dear Dolphins beat writers... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dear Dolphins beat writers...

oasis

Lost in the fog
Reaction score
Dear Dolphins beat writers,

Tonight on Hard Knocks, Joe Philbin prepared Ryan Tannehill for the media response to his being announced as starter. I, along with many other Dolphin fans, groaned, not because I disagreed with what Philbin said, but because I knew the comment itself would spark a gratuitous flurry of angst and annoyance among media members.

Allow me to explain Philbin's comment before the mental midgetry takes full hold: The coach was simply preparing Tannehill for the increased scrutiny he will be under as a rookie starting quarterback, playing for the franchise that has been trying to replace Dan Marino for well over a decade. In doing so, he also indicated that media members have a job to do, for which they get paid. It's not like they are trying to antagonize you, or create stories where none exist, Philbin intimated, by saying media members are not "bad people."

Your response to his statement makes me disagree with his sentiment.

Coach Philbin's comments were immediately contorted as some sort of insult by more than one beat writer on Twitter. In that sense, you are engaging in exactly the self-important, egotistical, and irrelevant ****-stirring that draws the ire of players, coaches, and front offices around the league. As a fan, I'd really like Joe Philbin to spend his time coaching the Dolphins, and if he must, answering questions about the Dolphins. I'm fairly certain he will need to spend several minutes during tomorrow's press conference defending his statement about you, to you, a moment which will be as much of a waste of time as it will be cringe-worthy.

As far as I can tell, Philbin has treated the media with respect thus far and understands the job you all have. I hope you are able to set your egos aside and understand that he has a job as well, and unfortunately a part (albeit small) of that is to prepare his players for the **** that you continuously stir with your enlightening pontifications, astute analyses, and innocent questions that you continuously shower upon them.

Look, we fans appreciate the practice tweets and the factual information that you provide to us about our team. But I would also like to reiterate that from my perspective, it's never about you. I have no doubts that you work hard, and I appreciate that, just as I appreciate anyone who works hard at their job and provides a useful service to society. But please do not allow your blog readership or number of twitter followers to get to your head lest you commit the two greatest follies of all: creating a story where none exists AND involving yourself.

Thanks,
FH member oasis

0001-1.png

I could definitely agree with what Coach Philbin was saying... the media is always hungry and ready to put their hands on anything, but it's not always bad though.

Now I am starting to see why Hard Knocks is a bad idea for teams...

The insight is great, but it also allows us to over analyze every little thing about the team and their personalities. The media are the biggest over analyzers there are. Unfortunately, the media shapes perception, which in turn, shapes reality. If the media gets a bad feeling about a coach, its pretty much that coach's tombstone unless they have very early success. Philbin will have a tough go of it. This is starting to feel a lot like the Cameron situation.

Hopefully Tannehill can do what John Beck couldn't and win some games for his coach.

The insight is great, but it also allows us to over analyze every little thing about the team and their personalities. The media are the biggest over analyzers there are. Unfortunately, the media shapes perception, which in turn, shapes reality. If the media gets a bad feeling about a coach, its pretty much that coach's tombstone unless they have very early success. Philbin will have a tough go of it. This is starting to feel a lot like the Cameron situation.

Hopefully Tannehill can do what John Beck couldn't and win some games for his coach.

Dude..... I hate to say I told you so, but .. :lol:

Talking about the hard knocks doing more bad than good part of the comment not the cam cam comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is off topic . I am not allowed to start a new thread because I do not have 10 posts.
I became a Bob Griese fan when I lived 30 miles from Lafayette, Ind. and watched him throw 19 of 22 passes in the Rose Bowl.
I followed his career to Miami and became a Dolphins fan. I have since retired and live in Florida. I'm not close to Miami though and depend
upon forums such as this one to keep me up to date. This post will probably be the longest of my life since I don't usually talk much.
I posting this in objection to the 10 post rule which blocks a lot of postings for us under 10ers. I feel I being penalized. Please lift this restriction
and I'll post when I have something relevant and note worthy to say. Respectfully yours

It's too bad Philbin can't treat the slugs like Omar and Mando with the level of respect they truly warrant. For those Philbin detractors, he did also even handedly declare that they have a job to do by asking these mundane, obvious questions, just expect them. Anyone around here who wants to run with this as anything more than what it was, it actually says more about their agenda than it does about Philbin

This is off topic . I am not allowed to start a new thread because I do not have 10 posts.
I became a Bob Griese fan when I lived 30 miles from Lafayette, Ind. and watched him throw 19 of 22 passes in the Rose Bowl.
I followed his career to Miami and became a Dolphins fan. I have since retired and live in Florida. I'm not close to Miami though and depend
upon forums such as this one to keep me up to date. This post will probably be the longest of my life since I don't usually talk much.
I posting this in objection to the 10 post rule which blocks a lot of postings for us under 10ers. I feel I being penalized. Please lift this restriction
and I'll post when I have something relevant and note worthy to say. Respectfully yours

IMO ten posts are not enough to give newbies the privilege of starting threads, especially considering that in season, just about every topic and concern is regurgitated over again in various numerous threads that someone can easily piggyback onto. This is a bare minimum requirement that at least separates those who are serious about this site from those who come on to troll or agitate.

24nkwmd-1.jpg

It's too bad Philbin can't treat the slugs like Omar and Mando with the level of respect they truly warrant. For those Philbin detractors, he did also even handedly declare that they have a job to do by asking these mundane, obvious questions, just expect them. Anyone around here who wants to run with this as anything more than what it was, it actually says more about their agenda than it does about Philbin

I don't like media in any sense except for the ones that actually take journalism seriously.

That being said if I was the HC and Omar and Mandy started asking me questions i'd probably ignore them completely. I mean they are entertainment bloggers aren't they :ponder: Everything they scribble seems to be of their own opinion and not of actual fact. I don't even consider them to be sports beat writers anymore, tbh.

I see that you have completely dived into ridiculous idea that Joe Philbin is another Cam Cameron. Even now you are starting to compare Ryan Tannehill to John Beck. :bobdole:

Ok, let's pretend what you are saying is accurate, what exactly makes him Cam Cameron? The fact that he told a player to tie his shoes? Or another player to clean up the area around his locker? Or because he said something about the media which means they might write a negative story about him? Seriously?

You talk about people over analyzing the show, yet you seem to be the biggest culprit. Let's not forget that Philbin has yet to coach a regular season game.

I see that you have completely dived into ridiculous idea that Joe Philbin is another Cam Cameron. Even now you are starting to compare Ryan Tannehill to John Beck. :bobdole:

Ok, let's pretend what you are saying is accurate, what exactly makes him Cam Cameron? The fact that he told a player to tie his shoes? Or another player to clean up the area around his locker? Or because he said something about the media which means they might write a negative story about him? Seriously?

You talk about people over analyzing the show, yet you seem to be the biggest culprit. Let's not forget that Philbin has yet to coach a regular season game.

Its amazing ain't it?

Philbin shouldnt give a crap what the media thinks of him.. Especially the lowly Miami beat writers.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Ignorance is bliss isnt it.

Philbin, paraphrased, basically said: "Yeah, people are going to print and say a lot of very negative things about your position, and the team, and say that you shouldn't be starting. Just tune it out, they aren't bad people, they're just doing their jobs."

I immediately jump onto a Twitter news feed and see... Armando Salguero having an absolute titty attack over this comment. Grow up, Armando. You ****ing child.

Philbin, paraphrased, basically said: "Yeah, people are going to print and say a lot of very negative things about your position, and the team, and say that you shouldn't be starting. Just tune it out, they aren't bad people, they're just doing their jobs."

I immediately jump onto a Twitter news feed and see... Armando Salguero having an absolute titty attack over this comment. Grow up, Armando. You ****ing child.

Don't talk about Mandy like that. She get's upset :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom