Death of a Finatic (symbolic) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Death of a Finatic (symbolic)

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
During the Dolphins-Raiders game on Sunday night, the announcers played back Gase’s comments regarding players needing to take their playbooks home and study them. A classic leadership mistake is to blame your soldiers when the battle looks lost. “Well, I called a perfect game plan, but my players could not execute”
Do you see the difference between Shula and Gase? Shula wrote a game plan that played to the roster’s talents, not the other way around. And make no mistake, this roster has talent.
http://www.finatics.com/136-death-of-a-finatic

Yea, I pretty much disagree with everything in that article once Gase was brought into it.

1. Gase took the heat WAY more then any HC would probably be expected to take, going back to last year.

2. If whomever wrote this thinks that Shula would hold back after a game where players did not execute, or had too many penalties, then seems to me that this person forgets how Shula worked. Shula might not use the I called a perfect game, and we did not execute, but he would go off, and the next day, players would be packing.

If this person who wrote this would just stand back a little, and just take a breath, he would see that this is just another tactic used by Gase to save a season. Gase is unwilling to give up on a season, and is tired of players not doing their job...he took the heat too long, players need to get the Job done, because he's right, Miami should have won that game.

Last edited:
Didn't click the link but I can tell you Gase definitely built a game plan around the player's strengths and try to avoided their weaknesses.

There is specific interviews where Gase has asked what plays their players like and he would try and use them ( Ajayi specifically.)

Notice that once we got rid of Ajayi, we threw more to RBs...

I actually thought Sunday night was the best game plan Gase has put forth this season. All it was missing was the deep ball. The penalties killed what would have probably been a win, IMO.

When you're down 20-16 and you get the ball at midfield twice, and immediately get hit with 10 yard penalties both possessions.... Well.... Self explanatory. And those weren't penalties due to lack of discipline. Those penalties were simply **** offensive linemen getting beat and being forced to hold so their QB isn't hospitalized.

I actually thought Sunday night was the best game plan Gase has put forth this season. All it was missing was the deep ball. The penalties killed what would have probably been a win, IMO.

When you're down 20-16 and you get the ball at midfield twice, and immediately get hit with 10 yard penalties both possessions.... Well.... Self explanatory.

That's because you're right. It was his best game but we also have to look at execution. The deep ball has to do with our QB not Gase. For anyone to think we ran no deep plays is crazy. We are seeing the difference between the 12th rated passer compared to the 30th and the 4th best deep ball passer compared to IDK because Cutler's thrown like 10 deep balls lol

Not a great way to handle it. I agree. Some things definitely need to stay in house.

Shula had Marino. Gase has Cutler. Want to switch and see what happens? Gase had his Marino in Denver and we all seen how that turned out. Gase is the worst winning coach I've ever heard anyone talk about lol The roster sure is talented but that one position that really matters is where we have a guy that came out of retirement. Not having Tannehill has been a way bigger issue than I expected. Just blind optimism

Gase has called out his players one time....every other time he has taken the blame and shielded them. Even this week he said the Drake fumble was just a damn good defensive play.

Gase has called out his players one time....every other time he has taken the blame and shielded them. Even this week he said the Drake fumble was just a damn good defensive play.

I've learned there's nothing any coach can do for the Miami Dolphins short of winning a SB. He's taken blame and doesn't care if we think we know more than him. The guys 4-4 with a retired QB. The only silver lining is now some can see the value of Tannehill.

Yeah, I'm going to strongly disagree here. We saw why I think this is a poor line of argument once again yesterday. He was asked about the Drake fumble like two or three times and kept saying "You know, it was just an unbelievable defensive play." The reporters were really kind of leading him into trying to blame the fumble for killing momentum, etc., and he wouldn't have any of it.

When asked about penalties, instead of criticizing the players for the penalties, he again started making 'excuses' for them, saying things like "Well you know, we did a few things a little differently in the run game..." and then explaining that holds can come about when guys maintain their blocks too long because they're not practiced together on how a specific run is supposed to be executed. Again, shielding his players from blame.

I think that a better reaction to last Friday's roasting of certain key players would be to wonder just how bad the situation was getting in the meeting rooms for Gase to come out and light up guys that he normally goes to great lengths to shield from criticism.

I would like to hear it from one guy, just one guy, who says Gase's criticism is unfounded. I am confident that those who are working their butts off, who know the playbook, and their assignments would welcome someone coming down on those that don't. Busted assignments, turnovers, and penalties will most likely ruin any chances for a win. As it was pointed out, some things you can't control such as a great play, and forced fumble, by the defense; however, wouldn't it be nice if everyone was working on the things they can control like knowing what route to run, or whom to block?

I would like to hear it from one guy, just one guy, who says Gase's criticism is unfounded. I am confident that those who are working their butts off, who know the playbook, and their assignments would welcome someone coming down on those that don't. Busted assignments, turnovers, and penalties will most likely ruin any chances for a win. As it was pointed out, some things you can't control such as a great play, and forced fumble, by the defense; however, wouldn't it be nice if everyone was working on the things they can control like knowing what route to run, or whom to block?

Ding Ding Ding!!! You said everything that needs to be said instead of constantly blaming Gase for EVERYTHING!! Imagine if he didn't bring us to the playoffs and we weren't 4-4 with a retired QB.

Back
Top Bottom