Defensive INTs/Take-Aways in 2004, is the Worst Since 1997! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive INTs/Take-Aways in 2004, is the Worst Since 1997!

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how we had the # 1 Pass Defense in 1998 and 2000, with 1 INT for every 18 Pass Attempts, to our current # 27 (1 INT for every 47 Pass Attempts)? Last year we were # 7 with 1 INT for every 24 Pass Attempts.

You can argue that we are not getting the sacks or protection and therefore putting the pressure for our DBs to protect the WRs longer but...

Last year we had about 1 sack for every 10 Passes Attempted to currently 1 sack for every 12 Passes Attempted. Still the stats show that were are down 50% in INT/Take-Aways this year from last year.

I believe it's lack of concentration from our DBs, since numerous times they have dropped sure INTs. They have had their chances to make game changing plays.

Please add opinions?

I agree that it might be lack of concentration. I still remember Edwards dropping a sure INT against the Bengals, and Surtain, Madisson, Freeman, Poole, and Howard all making sure INT drops. Though I have no hard data to back this up, I would bet we could have another 7-8 INT's that have just been plain dropped. I think it is understandable to not expect your DB's to pick everything, but these guys have been dropping balls like it's their job! With that said, though, we have the best defensive backfield in the NFL. Anyone care to argue that??

simple thing is, teams are running on us more. so we arent going to get the big play INTs as much as we usually did......

Nappy Roots said:
simple thing is, teams are running on us more. so we arent going to get the big play INTs as much as we usually did......
Though I agree that teams are running on us more this year compare to last, we have a decrease in INTs per passing attempt form last year.

With better talent in the secondary that we have, we should at least maintain last year's stats for INT-Pass Attempt Ratio, but its worst...

Pericles349 said:
I agree that it might be lack of concentration. I still remember Edwards dropping a sure INT against the Bengals, and Surtain, Madisson, Freeman, Poole, and Howard all making sure INT drops. Though I have no hard data to back this up, I would bet we could have another 7-8 INT's that have just been plain dropped. I think it is understandable to not expect your DB's to pick everything, but these guys have been dropping balls like it's their job! With that said, though, we have the best defensive backfield in the NFL. Anyone care to argue that??
We might have two of the best corners in football. I think Surtain's play has come down a couple of notches this year. He is playing the slot in the nickel which is probably one of the most difficult match ups in the NFL. Our strong safety has below average speed. Reggie Howard our third corner just plain sucks. However, Madison has returned to his pro bowl form and teams are staying away from him. We have a decent D backfield, not the best. This year teams are pretty much able to run on us so they are not throwing as much. We have seen a few games slip away ( Cincy, Arizona, Buffalo) from us because our secondary couldn't stop the offense from moving the ball by passing.

yeah but us having to focus on the rushing game puts the offense in better passing situations... wed have much more picks if we had other Os playing from behind and trying to force things...

when they have a lead and only pass when necessary, or can keep us at bay with play action, thos picks are harder to come by...

In the most basic terms, our defense is getting predictable. The opposition knows how to put a holt on our D, hopefully now that Wanny's gone this problem can end.

Remember that year when Madison and T-Buck had like 8 interceptions each? Those were the good ol' days. This year's been bad, mostly because of our run defense and also because teams have learned you can beat us by throwing down the middle

Pericles349 said:
That is why they are DB and not WR. When a guy cannot catch they make a DB out his him.

So we did a great job at getting the best guys that can't catch, for our DBs, to improve our secondary?

I apologize for being sarcstic...

Here' is something to add to this team secondary performance...

NE's secondary has been decimated by injuries for 1/2 the season and they still have 9 more INTs than our team. Thats a ratio of 1 INT- 25 Passes Attempted. I don't know when Bates will bring this subject up to our DB coaches, if he has not already..

Dphins4me said:
That is why they are DB and not WR. When a guy cannot catch they make a DB out his him.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but a DB isn't just a WR who can't catch......

Baz said:
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but a DB isn't just a WR who can't catch......
Baz, I know you play the positon. Have you seen any Fin games this year and if you have, can you elaborate as to what you think has been happening to them this year?

Has it been that the bad luck has spread all parts of the team this year?

I have been saying for a while our d is just not holding up their end of the deal this season. We all know they get paid WAY more than our offense, but in games when our offense does give us a CHANCE to win (Ariz and Cinci for two off the top of my head) our D just lets them go right down the field and score. They really need to start stepping it up. That is one of the reasons I am not totally against trading a few of the Defensive "stars" of our team.

Disnardo said:
Baz, I know you play the positon. Have you seen any Fin games this year and if you have, can you elaborate as to what you think has been happening to them this year?

Has it been that the bad luck has spread all parts of the team this year?

Unfortunately, I haven't seen as many games as I would like. I did catch parts of the Buffalo game. I saw lots mental mistakes, especially on the Lee Evans TD catch, but nothing along the line of technique or anything (not saying I'm an expert or anything). People also sometimes forget that our lack of a passrush has a direct effect on the defensive backfield. A DB can only cover a WR for so long. Both the QB and the WR know where they are going, the DB doesn't. If the passrush takes too long to get to the QB, there is nothing the DBs can do. Not even the best DBs can keep a WR locked down for more than a few seconds. Thats the biggest thing I'd say about this season. As far as the turnovers go, thats a little simpler. There is no need to pass on the Fins, the run D has been weak all season. You can't pick off a ball that isn't thrown......

Back
Top Bottom