Defensive Tackle Needs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jaj, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

With Bowens getting older and more expensive can someone please tell me who would be a good replacement in the third round.

Ty Warren?

2. Baz

Baz Ephemeral

Bowens has atleast 3 years of starting left. I say we wait until a future draft for that position......

3. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

It wouldn't hurt getting a good run stuffer with upside with a mid round pick. Ian Scott is somewhat like that and is only a junior. He would provide great depth, is homegrown, and would take over as you said at the age of 23-24.

4. Baz

Baz Ephemeral

Normally I would agree, but we lots of holes we need to fill this offseason. The only position we should draft for the future, if given the oppotunity, is a QB......

5. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Why? Rosenfels is talented and these young free agents we just picked up I think will make the team and become good backups. Besides with 3 comp. picks we can afford to gamble a bit. As for the Rick Spielman top three needs, only one can be solved immediately in the draft. We need to draft for later after the first two picks, since we may see a lot of guys cut in 2004. Scott or Haley would compete for that spot well. I don't see Bowens as much more than a good run stuffer anymore.

6. Baz

Baz Ephemeral

He was a decent passrusher back when JJ was still head coach. i think he could still do it if the scheme allowed him to......

7. Samphin

Samphin Dolphins Homer

I am with Bazinet on this one. We have other more pressing needs to tend to first. Besides, Timbo is still going to the Pro Bowl so he is doing something right! He continues to allow Thomas to roam free which is basically his main duty on every play now it seems. He seems fine with it as I read an interview stating he doesn't like to be in the limelight and prefers to just do his job. He is a wonderful pro and I think he can still go for at least a few more years. Plus, you gotta love a guy who will renegotiate for you when you need him too(albeit last minute after we offered him up to the Texans but nevertheless he did it). I say we fill the Linebacker, Wideout, and Defensive back holes before we have to worry about the D-line.

8. Crisdeman

Crisdeman Seasoned Veteran

I'm going to have to agree with Bazinet too. Although Bowens is getting a little long in the tooth and DT's usually dont hold up very long I think there are many more glaring needs to fill. Maybe with a late rounder but nothing early will be a DT.

9. t2thejz

t2thejz Perennial All-Pro

i think jermaine haley could replace him. i think thats whats gonna happen too.

10. Boomer

Boomer FinHeaven Elite

I think we need to keep a hold of Haley first and foremost. Ty Warren is a first rounder, early 2nd rounder.

11. Crisdeman

Definetly, but if that happens we will still need more depth

12. Muck

Muck Now completely imaginary Hammered

A young guy wouldn't hurt. Haley and Bowens are both 30. But they're not old or failing by any means. The question is how long will Timbo's knees hold up......and what will his cap number look like in the next few years.

13. LeftCoastPhin

LeftCoastPhin Getting geeked for 2003!!

We have more pressing needs plus we have Haley waiting in the wings.

14. dolphan39

dolphan39 Maria & LauRen Aha!

Tim Bo went to the Pro Bowl so he's better than most other DTs. We seem to be able to dig up decent backups like Haley and Romerio as FA or late round picks. So if we do not have more competition for Chester, Tim Bo and Haley before the draft on the roser, then we should spend a 5th or later on a DT

15. Cranx

Cranx Banned Hammered

There's also this: Where did you get the info that the 'Fins have 3 supplamental picks? All of that is based purely on conjecture and speculation at this point and it'll be a couple of weeks before any of us know anything about who gets what where. More than likely, we're all going to be disappointed when supp-picks are released; like we are every year.

16. BuffBillsMan90

BuffBillsMan90 is Clumpalicious!!

Compensation picks do not normally get released until just prior to the draft.

17. Crisdeman

According to the NFLPA this is whats left on Bowens' contract

2003 $850,000.00
    2004 $2,250,000.00
    2005 $3,100,000.00
    2006 $3,500,000.00

18. LeftCoastPhin

LeftCoastPhin Getting geeked for 2003!!

Bowens replacement can be postponed. Chester is only 27 and Haley is young and his body has not seen fulltime action. Acquire depth in later rounds or FA.

But I cant fault anyone looking into the future, the Dolphins should have at QB in Marino's last few years.

19. BuffBillsMan90

BuffBillsMan90 is Clumpalicious!!

He also has $600,000/season bonus amortization and a $1.8 million roster bonus payable prior to the 2004 season. He's likely to be with Miami for at least another year, but Fins FO may consider not paying the roster bonus next off-season.

20. iceblizzard69

iceblizzard69 Banned Hammered

DT is one of the last things we need in the upcoming draft.

21. Prime Time

Prime Time Screw You Guys..Im Goin Home!!!

We have more fullfilling needs.

22. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Like what name one that we really need? CB you say, that means growing pains. Use a comp. pick on the guy, either the first or second comp. pick. How can it hurt.

23. Dolfan54

Dolfan54 Scout Team

Ty Warren

Gotta disagree Jaj... after watching Ty for 3 years here and knowing some of his high school friends, I don't think he is the answer.... he's injury prone and I don't think he played a full season here at A&M... don't get me wrong he is great when healthy but I wouldn't take a chance on him personally.

24. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

I changed my mind as well. Anyway he is going in the second and that is a spot where drafting a DT is too high for us.

How bout a young(Junior) run stuffer that has some pass rushing ability. Besides our current scheme depends more on run stuffers than guys like La'Roi Glover. The guy I'm talking about is Ian Scott. He is also homegrown. A hard worker that I believe will be a little better than a healthy Larry Chester. We can get in the 3rd with the comp. pick, rish the 5th, or trade down to the fourth where he belongs. Who knows maybe the comp. pick will only be a fourth rounder.

He will be 23 by the end of the 2004 season and that would be a good age for him to take over Bowens. Bowens cap number gets pretty expensive after 2003. We can take that 2003 salary, but not the last two years. As for Haley who knows if he is staying this year and I don't think a 30 year old is young at all. He is in his prime physically, while we need a guy who is developing strength as well as skills.

25. Samphin

Samphin Dolphins Homer

I didn't realize Haley was that old or that Bowens cap hit skied that big next year. However, I say we will be ok even if we don't draft one this year. If someone with some talent happens to drop to us and is the best available player, than I suppose we could take one.

As for more pressing needs than a defensive tackle Jaj? Outside Linebacker, Backup Quarterback, Wide Reciever, possibly nickel or dime back, Offensive Line and then maybe Defensive Line.

26. Jaj

Jaj What you say?

Offensive Line is the only one that we can get good production from a first year man and we do have other picks.

27. PhinsTD

PhinsTD Phins fanatic

I would like to point out Haley is not young, and that the DT position is the most important position in our D-scheme.

Look what happened to the Bears when their DT got hurt this year. They fell apart.

While I'm not advocating picking one in the 2nd or 3rd, I am advocating picking one sometime if one falls who we really like. A hard working, big body with marginal skills but great attitude and work ethic is always a great late pick IMO.