Defensive Tackle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Tackle

Shelton is on the verge of becoming one of the most dominant defensive lineman in the league.

That's bold. He made some strides since his rookie year, but there's still a lot for him to work on. Consistency is one of them. He can be disruptive, but needs to play with better balance and finish.

You guys have scouted 745 Danny Shelton's snap counts? That's amazing. Where do you get the time to do that and also evaluate every Miami Dolphin snap? :)

No doubt we need a veteran. I hope Phillips can take the next step, but we need some experience there too

You guys have scouted 745 Danny Shelton's snap counts? That's amazing. Where do you get the time to do that and also evaluate every Miami Dolphin snap? :)

I get that you'e being facetious but I watch a **** ton of football. :thumbsup

Last edited:
We are destined to play a ton of zone at the lb level which means good qbs are gonna pick us apart in the middle of the field unless our sub edge guys can finish on the qb.

Best way to do it is to get leads you can sit in cover 2 and 2 deep and your edges can pin their ears on arriving at the qb launch points based on the down and distance.

Harris and wake being the finishers.

Would love to be going into a new football year expecting something different ... but nope. If this defense struggles again badly Gase and the FO could get into some friction over scheme vs. personnel.

We'd rather have crap for depth apparently. We make no effort to go after some decent d-linemen who could probably unseat Phillips as the starter for God sake. Grier needs to wake up.

No one has been harder on Phillips than me, unfortunately I think this coaching staff believes that we are pretty set at DT for this upcoming season, believing or hoping that he will an improve player. I just don't see us upgrading that position this year barring a total collapse of course.

The informed fan base (here, at least) is on record that we need another reliable interior offensive lineman and defensive tackle. The FO didn't complete these tasks even though neither issue is that costly in the short or long terms, and reinforcements are available.

We will see and hope the FO is right. However, we may be right and they may be wrong. IMO, when that happens, it's a **** storm. You can never let the fans be smarter than you. That's happened too often with this franchise. There have been so many better moves discussed on this forum in advance over the past decade and a half, it's not even funny.

What happens if Phillips or Suh gets hurt? Football is....um...a contact sport. What if Phillips doesn't improve enough? What happens if Pouncey goes down? Larsen at Lg, Bushrod at rG, and Urbick at C? You winning big with that group? Or are you playing a fifth round guard right out of the gate? Is it good enough, today, now?

As for the scheme where you want two disruptive, up field rushers stopping the run instead of having one space eater, same thing. You don't stop the run, and this place goes berserk.

The problem with the fans being unhappy is you don't want to underestimate that. It starts with informed fans knowing in advance what should have been done, and when it blows up, the informed fans start the dominoes of complaining and the next thing you know, there are planes flying overhead saying "Fire Tannenbaum" and the dysfunction of the organization overwhelms everything. Been there, done that.

Get D tackle who can hold his ground, hold space and play the run. Work guys out and see who's in shape. If you're insistent on up field rushers, well I don't agree but then look into another of that type.

And re-sign 14 before the season starts while we are listing action items. We don't want another Vernon situation on our hands.

Last edited:
I guess we'll just have to wait until next offseason to address the position, this draft was pretty weak at DT so it's a good bet next year's will offer more talent, I'm already salivating watching a guy like Vita Vea from Washington. I doubt we'll be willing to pay big money next year in FA for a Star Lotulelei, or even a Poe or Bennie Logan, which is why it's disappointing that we couldn't land one of them on a 1 year deal.

I guess we'll just have to wait until next offseason to address the position, this draft was pretty weak at DT so it's a good bet next year's will offer more talent, I'm already salivating watching a guy like Vita Vea from Washington. I doubt we'll be willing to pay big money next year in FA for a Star Lotulelei, or even a Poe or Bennie Logan, which is why it's disappointing that we couldn't land one of them on a 1 year deal.

We should probably wait for that one guy with a $100M contract to finish that before investing so heavily in the position (again)

I like Taylor and let's see if Phillips can turn it on. This season is banking on guys like Phillips and Parker turning it on

Back
Top Bottom