Devils Advocate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dajesus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

We are 4-4, same as last year, our QB just played his best game as a Dolphin, we get much needed help at G, and safety, is there any reason to give this team the benefit of doubt we gave last years team? know it’s hard after a loss, but if you take away 5 holding calls last week and we would have had a great offenseive performance. I’m not optimistic, like most here, but it was worse after we were 1-4 last season.

Digital and Ray R like this.
  2. josephreese

josephreese Since '76

I'll be cheering them on.

Ray R likes this.
  3. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Honestly I don't have much hope for this season, but that's the beauty of football.... Things can change quickly week to week. If they somehow manage a prime time win in Carolina on Monday night, then you've got to give them a shot. A 4-3 finish after that gets us to 9-7. Not at all likely, but possible.

4. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

I don't have much hope either. However, Cam has been hit or miss this season so we could get a much needed win on Monday. We have what appears to be an underwhelming Bucs team, a quarterback-less Broncos team and a Bills team that has a reputation for folding when the going gets tough 2 times. I do not rule us our on winning any of those games. I still believe in the coach but do doubt the talent. Hopefully we just have no more major embarrassments. Unfortunately as a Dolphins fan that is an accomplishment.

Ray R likes this.
  5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Pros: Coach is un-dumbing down the offense, defense's injury situation isn't as bad as last year, actually getting some production from our TEs and backs in the passing game now

Cons: Best player on our OL just went out for the year, our power rusher is Kenyan Drake, we had a big play QB in 2016 and we don't in 2017, Suh is hurt

I still feel like we can pull out a 9-7 or even 10-6 finish if some things fall our way. There are some areas where we're better off than we were in 2016, but others where we're a lot worse off. We won some games in 2016 off of big plays, and we're looking a lot less likely to have big plays in the passing game right now with the way Cutler is throwing the ball.

I don't disagree with those who say we are going to finish 7-9, but I'm not ready to count this team out just yet after what I saw last season.

6. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, we need to fix:

- fewest Points scored in league
    - fourth worst points differential in league

Then we can talk about being optimistic.

Digital and joenhre like this.
  7. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Lets see if we show up on Monday, could catapult us in either direction. I think we finish in 4th place.

8. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

lol way to go out on a limb there. I happen to agree by the way.

9. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

I’m so mad about Monday’s game. I planned a trip to Charlotte to see my sister when the schedule came to cordinate with the Panthers game. I’m here now, and have decided not to buy tickets to the game for obvious reasons. If we do pull off the victory I’ll be elated we won, but pissed I didn’t go. Going to @NYJ was too painfull this year.

10. jessejames123

jessejames123 Scout Team

We are getting Larsen (who knows IF he will actually play well, we havent seen him play really) BUT losing James for quite awhile.

QB had his best game of season and they were all 5yd passes to the RB's with a Devante superman grab...

Efficient but he didnt really do anything.

D is too inconsistent, makes it easy for opposing teams to convert 3rd and longs.. I think the Run D is improved thus far though.

11. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, I am a gluten for punishment, so I will yet again this Monday be cheering for them to show us something while taking the game from the Panthers in their home on Primetime.

Ray R and artdnj like this.
  12. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

Yes....we blew that game but played much better...this next game will be interesting.

Ray R likes this.
  13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

see what kind of mood there is after Carolina gets done smashing us Monday night

14. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

NO, the team does NOT deserve the benefit of the doubt. Last year and this are two different things. Last year we beat a bunch of teams with losing records and our RB went crazy while our QB was steady. Now we have no real starting RB, Tannehill is not playing and our defense is trending down. Counting on Larsen who's nothing but a back up is foolish and now we have another hole at RT. We run 5 plays on offense and even my wife knows what play is coming and even my cat Soprano can't believe the other team's QB has all day to throw the football. And to top it all up, we're playing 6 teams with winning records out of 8 games but here's the good/bad news. We'll win one or two more than we're supposed to just so that we can draft lower like every year

Ozzy rules!!

15. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

I got a bad feeling about this game. I think the Dolphins will get an old school type of a$$ whooping!!!

16. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

We are not beating the Panthers expect that a$$ whooping.

17. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

Yes -- this year's pass defense is markedly worse, and the help at safety won't address that because it isn't comprised of an Earl Thomas-like player who has downfield pass coverage skills.

With the kind of QB play this team gets on a regular basis (last Sunday night was an anomaly), the pass defense would have to be among the league's best three or so to overcome it, and instead the pass defense is among the league's worst three.

The combination of a poor pass offense and a poor pass defense spells doom. The team has played like a team that would be expected to finish 3-13/4-12, based on how the league has functioned since 2004.

Two of the four wins thus far are unexpected. Those won't occur regularly.

18. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

It’s crazy that we are .500, and how pessimistic we are collectively. I have had more hope in this team in the past while them having a losing record than I do this year. That being said I think this Monday can completely change the attitude here. If we go on the road and snatch a victory vs the 6-3 panthers(the most beatable 6-3 team in the nfl) and then are coming home to play The Fitzpatrick lead lowly bucs, our whole season changes. Fins up!

TannDaMan17, fishfanmiami and Ray R like this.
  19. Marino420TD

Marino420TD Seasoned Veteran

We are still at .500, so in the NFL there is hope. The real key is how much (or how little) help TJ and Larsen can provide. Nate Allen wasn't anything special, but our pass defense seemed to tank once he got injured. I need to see how we look we these 2 players, before throwing in the towel on the season.

Ray R likes this.
  20. Ray R

Ray R Active Member

A quote from Thomas Edison:

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up"

I don't see Coach Gase giving up. Unfortunately that is not true for some of our posters.

PhishyPhishy, Digital and Soca casual like this.
  21. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

I think Cam Newton gets hurt trying to run the ball in this one.

22. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

The pessimism is based on how they've achieved their 4-4 record. The four wins look like smoke and mirrors and the four losses were mostly non-competitive. Its why the tired quote of "you are who your record says you are" is overrated. Sometimes you aren't who your record says you are. The Dolphins just don't pass the smell test. But a win Monday turns a "bad 4-4" into an "acceptable 5-4."

23. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Maybe it's the fan in me, but I have a good feeling about the Carolina game. On paper, this should be a fairly easy win for the Panthers. As we know, though, the game isn't played on paper and the Dolphins haven't had that complete game yet. They are due.

The offense looked pretty good against the Raiders with the running backs catching the ball well out of the backfield and Cutler being very accurate in the short game. That was something that was missing with Ajayi. I know Oakland's defense is a far cry from Carolina's, but maybe the team catches a break, gets better field position etc. You just never know.

If Miami can somehow beat Carolina and Tampa Bay, the season may end up being better than expected. Right now, it's hard to see many more wins on the schedule but there's still time for players to emerge, the energy to change and something positive to happen.

Digital and Ray R like this.
  24. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

The biggest problem with our secondary is the lack of a pass rush from our front 4. It has been inconsistent all year long and hence, everyone seems to always be open while the QB has all day to pass. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball and we're losing on both

Ozzy rules!!

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  25. mwestberry

mwestberry Well-Known Member

This team is out coached and out played every week… Even the wins were not impressive... I love the optimism but it ain't happening this year guys ....those of you who are looking at the win loss record as some sort of motivation may not be watching the games

joenhre likes this.
  26. Hooligan

Hooligan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This game has about the same feel as the Atlanta game. Doom and gloom, little hope. I expect a win.

Ray R likes this.
  27. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

this is a very winnable game.

with that 4/4 record of last year we did have Tannehill playing on a upswing & getting momentum tho + we had our LT & RT that played we are just put our RT on IR.

Ray R likes this.
  28. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I agree. However, the team looks really bad last year at 1-4. Even getting to 10-6 it wasn't always impressive, but Miami found ways to win. It's been a little similar this year.

I'm not expecting a turnaround as 5-11 or 6-10 seems about right for this team. But you never know.

Ray R likes this.
  29. Digital

Digital Starter

Awesome post Dejesus!

I must admit I have less faith than last year. Last year there was a reason for the poor play, learning new systems, and we had started trending up. By his year we are trending down and have plenty of internal strife with our OL coach issue and throwing away one of our most talented players, Ajayi.

Gase isn't making an example out of Ajayi, he is sacrificing him. That only happens when there is a serious problem in the locker room. And given how much of an apologist Gase has been about our failsauce OL, I'm discouraged greatly for the future.

But enough pessimism. Your post makes a great point. We are still in a good spot to contend for a wildcard slot. Those 5 holding calls were mostly tickytack stuff, and the refs did make a difference in that close game. We can't complain, because we have won 4 out of 5 close games, but it is worth noting. Also worth noting we were 4-0 in close games with Ajayi, and we are 0-1 in close games without him. We no longer can grind teams down and win in the 4th quarter. From now on we are going to have to outplay them or win the turnover battle. No other way forward.

But _IF_ we can miraculously come up with an improved OL playing 2nd stringers then the pieces are in this team to field a good defense and complement it with scoring from the offense.

Ray R likes this.
  30. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The thing that bothers me the most about dumping Ajayi is that this is another step away from being a physical team and a step towards the dreaded finesse team that we all don't really like that much. The brand of Football Gase is bringing here now will be pass, pass, screen, draw, pass etc. I like a balanced offense, I actually prefer running to passing, unless I'm watching Marino. Digital nailed it we he said we can't grind teams down in the 4th quarter any more. That's the way we won many of our games last year, who's going to be the closer now? Cutler? God Help Us.

Agua likes this.
  31. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Keep on mind thought that last year we beat a bunch of teams with losing records. Of the next 8 games we have 6 against teams with winning records

Ozzy rules!!

32. isaacjunk

isaacjunk FinHeaven VIP

There's a concept called regression to the mean, if you're getting lucky repeatedly eventually things will go back to average. For most of the NFL, if you are getting outscored over the course of a season, you're going to have a losing record. Last year (and through most of this year), we pulled out miraculous close win after another to get to a winning record. So smart money says we cannot keep doing this.

But perhaps there really is something more than luck, and through a combo of Gase's game management and instilled culture, there is actually a real trait there. To me seeing them pull off another 3-4 close wins without losing more than say 1 would be testament to something real and rare being there, which would be a valuable building block for coming years and worth watching even if we end up missing the playoffs.

<O> and Ray R like this.
  33. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

It will be 4 soon as the bills are starting there mid season collapse.

34. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

12 in a row wasn’t good enough,know he needs to win 3 out of th next 4.

35. ohall

ohall A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

I have no idea what is going to happen the rest of the season. I can't say I'm overly optimistic, but I'm all in with Gase.

36. Ray R

Ray R Active Member

Considering your poor opinion of our offensive line, wouldn't 2nd stringers be an improvement?

Digital likes this.
  37. Ray R

Ray R Active Member

Maybe that's because they haven't played us yet!

38. <O>

<O> Well-Known Member

And when the team is getting shut out at 25 times the expected rate through seven games, there could be a negative trait alongside that one.

They may have more than one trait. 1) winning close games more often than expected, 2) losing in an embarrassing manner more often than expected, and 3) winning in a convincing manner less often than expected.

That isn't a good combo. Certainly the great teams don't have that combination of traits.

39. Digital

Digital Starter

Absolutely great quote Ray. Perfectly fits us now.

Ray R likes this.
  40. Digital

Digital Starter

TJ McDonald, Ndamakong Suh, William Hayes, AWOL Timmons, and Rey Maualuga, yeah, Newton is definitely thinking about his health this week.