Devlin is better than Matt Moore.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mattgilm, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mattgilm

mattgilm Island Dolphin

Matt Moore has the experience and snaps under his belt but Devlin has a better arm and is just a better all around QB at this time. Matt is a good backup but when he is put in a tough situation he tends to choke. Matt Moore is good to dink and dunk and run an offense but he will not win any games. Devlin needs a chance to show he can be the backup and Moore should be traded. Fin should draft a #3 QB in the late rounds. Go fins!

2. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Lol good troll thread

3. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Devlin has not proved anything. He is 3rd string.
    Matt Moore could be a starter on several teams.

4. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

What prove do you have of this? We'll be waiting. :snack:

5. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Devlin is a beast in practice, but you haven't seen what this kid is like against the first stringers. Matt Moore is more than a decent back up. Devlin is a young 3rd string QB that needs to develop until he gets his shot.

It's obvious Devlin has potential, but it's more obvious that he needs to improve. I hope the kid turns into something but it's not going to happen this year.

Matt Moore could easily be a captain on this team, the only problem being that a back up QB can't be a captain.

6. uk_dolfan

As in a squirrel? Perhaps a goat?

7. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

oh boy.....

8. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

Oh Christ....where to begin

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Maybe but not many teams including the dolphins have much faith in that idea

10. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Has Matt Moore ever led the Dolphins to a win over a team with a winning record?

11. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

wasnt he the starter when used the wildcat gor the firdt tome against the Pats
    n we kicked their fukin azzes

12. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

Wow, no.

13. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

:lol2:

14. mithga13

mithga13 Well-Known Member

If most NFL teams thought Matt Moore could be a legit starter, we'd trade him for a pair of 2nd rounders. But that won't happen, and everyone knows it. And yet people still insist Matt Moore should get his shot. He had shots before he came here, he beat Chad Henne.....another solid backup QB. I don't know if Devlin is anything more than a backup, but I won't convince myself Moore is the answer at all. Let the draft play out, if they end up taking someone late, I could see them sticking with the much cheaper Devlin, and dumping Matt Moore for the cap savings to roll into 2015.

I like Devlin, I'd love to see him get a 3 or 4 game shot as a starter IF, and only if, Tanny went down for a few weeks. Tannehill has earned this year, and probably the next. If by the end of 2015 if he's not the guy your going to commit to for the next 10 years, draft another QB. But you need to give him some protection and weapons to even know if he can be that guy.

I'd still build my team around my offensive line and defense. Since the beginning of the league, thats what wins championships. Not high flying high scoring offenses. This team makes a couple of playoff appearances in a row, and the crowds will come back

15. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Pat Devlin...Finheaven Preseason Allstar.

16. JTC111

JTC111 Viva la resistance!!!

Your thoughts on Devlin were so important and so insightful that they couldn't go in the "Thoughts on Pat Devlin?" thread, they needed a thread of their own?

17. Retnuhrace

Retnuhrace Seasoned Veteran

18. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

Is this Pat Devlins dad posting?

19. uk_dolfan

has pat devlin ever played a snap against a team with a losing record?

20. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I was thinking labradoodle.

21. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Moore has played thousands of NFL snaps against elite starters. Devlin? Zero. Fail thread. It is literally impossible and irresponsible to come to that conclusion unless you are straight up trolling for reactions, which is a likely motive.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Has Devlin? Not even in the preseason lmao.

22. rent this space

No, know one knows how he will do without seeing him play, but I don't see how he can do worse than Moore's performance last year.
    For me it's about dumping Moore, not promoting Devlin.
    And who knows? Maybe the rookie comes in and outplays them both

23. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Matt Moore is a solid back up who can keep a team rolling for a few games or hold the fort until a better QB comes along. A QB desperate team would love to have him.
    I would call him a 1B quarterback. Good enough to help a team win some games, but not a long term player.
    Last years Matt Moore was an aberration. He was put into the game after RT's injury and he was pummeled. No one could have handled that situation with that oline. I don't blame him.
    He is better than most 2nd string QB's in the NFL and I am glad we have him.
    Devlin plays well in practice, but from what I have saw of him in limited action in a few games is that he needs a couple of seasons to come of age against NFL defenses. He will never be a starter.
    No one will have the patience to let him learn on the fly. Such is life as a late round QB.

24. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

You got this based on that? :lol2: Here's a fun fact for ya, if Devlin was the better QB, he'd be the back-up, not Moore, so that throws your whole "synopsis" out the window.

It would be completey laughable if we ever had to rely on Devlin for more than 1 or 2 regular season throws. Remember Ray Lucas.

25. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I think Moore has a much better chance of holding up the image of an Earl Moral moreso than Devlin. :chuckle:

26. rent this space

He actually has in the preseason, but that's not my point.
    I have just seen enough of Moore and I'm ready to move on to the next guy. If Devlin sucks again dump him too

27. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I don't recall him ever leading the team to a W in the preseason. Not once. I could be wrong, but I'm confident without research that he hasn't just based off memory. I'm obviously not a fan of Moore's cap number, but that is the only downside to him remaining on the roster. He most likely doesn't have much trade value, or I trust he would be gone by now. 2014 will most likely be his last season in Miami unless he can't find a promising starting gig elsewhere, or returns at a much cheaper rate.

28. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

Why do people hate Matt Moore so much? The end of 2011 was the best offensive football the Dolphins have gotten in a long time and he was the QB yet everyone hates him. He's our backup QB and a good one I'd just like to keep him where he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. rent this space

It was the last game of the preseason so you can't put much stock in it, but it happened

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013082903/2013/PRE4/saints@dolphins#menu=highlights&tab=recap

30. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

31. jvw

jvw Starter

Matt Moore is a good back up QB who is over paid.....he is the highest paid back up QB in the league on a team that can't make the playoffs....either he needs to take a pay cut or we need to see if PD can get the job done....I felt we should have let MM go last yr.....it would have saved us 5 million and given PD a chance to play a quarter in one game.....Matt earned 5 million for throwing 6 passes completed 2 for 50 yards with two picks and we paid 5 million for that......why do we have 3 QB on the roster? If RT goes down for a long period of time we are done no matter who the back up is unless we have a good running game and play tough D......when you carry more than 2 QB on your team you are showing no confidence in your starting QB....time to thank Matt for his play and move on to the kid who cost less and give him a chance to be the man.....then put a 3rd QB on the practice squad.....

32. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

(IMO) I think it's time to see what Devlin can do. If he can't be the backup, then let him go. We need to let Moore go and use the money better.

33. uk_dolfan

if they draft thomas, morris or another of the qbs they have been linked to Devlin will be on the street nevermind being backup

34. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

That's beyond me as well. I could only explain it that some people fear that Moore could challenge Tannehill for the start at one point or another or that he could outplay him when asked to play. Of course neither of that is happening because Tannehill is the starter.

Moore is a very capable backup. There are plenty of teams who would like to have more at least as a backup. I am not sure if he could compete for a starting job though a couple of teams might give him a chance. Instead of this constant ragging on Moore we should be happy that he is our backup. Not only that Tannehill and Moore have a great connection and Tannehill has stated more than once that he likes Moore and his input. You rarely find a QB tandem which is so in sync and does not cause any controversy. I am certainly happy that he is here and he is very well worth the price tag.

35. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

I don't think there's one poster here, that said they hated moore. I think the fact that he's the most expensive backup, that he's not worth the cap hit. People are saying that he's not head and shoulders above Devlin. And i think most people think it's just Devlin's turn, to fight for QB 2, with a rookie. Save that cap hit for next year.

36. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

The backup QB position is of utmost importance. You want a capable backup since starting QBs are just one hit away from the loony bin. Moore's cap hit is not as significant as some make it. The money is well spend. Every year teams are not only trying to fill starting roster spots but also backup positions. The saying is that you are only as good as your backups are because pretty much every team suffers injury to its starters. Why create another hole when you have to plug other holes first.

If you want to get another QB to challenge Devlin and eventually Moore when he becomes an FA fine. But just because you want to save a couple million I would not mess with a solid backup position.

And yes, there is plenty of dislike here for Moore. I remember the gloating after his short appearance last season. Of course totally forgotten was that our entire team and coaching staff outright sucked in the last two games - in preparation, emotions and executions. Every excuse is made for his positive appearance when he replaced Henne.

I personally feel that getting rid of Sherman and Ireland and putting Philbin basically on a trial year were the right moves. I am quite confident that with Hickey and Lazor we will see some improvement. But with Philbin you also put Tannehill on the watch clock. If our OL and our play calling improves so must Tannehill. Even for a starting QB the time is running out eventually.
    I hope that Moore never sees the field. But that feeling has nothing to do that I won't trust him as a backup but more a happy thought that Tannehill improved and stayed injury free. But with an improved OL and play calling I do not want anybody else to take over than Moore in case Tannehill gets hurt. I have absolute confidence that he can carry a team until the starting QB is back to health.

37. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

I guess my confidence in moore is not as high as some peoples. I pretty much know moore is nothing special, and he won't win many games, unless they are against the bottom of the league teams, or every other facet of the team is playing great, and moore just needs to manage the game. I think it's the unknown in devlin, that intrigues me.

38. finjim

finjim A True Fan

Tannehill is better than both of them, what is your point?

39. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Hey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. enigmatics

enigmatics Go get me a juice box!

I've never understood it either. It's either they absolutely do not want anyone challenging Tanny no matter what or there's resentment for not being able to draft Luck.

I personally had a great time watching the kid go out there and play his *** off in 2011 when for a moment it looked like we might go win-less. There was a fire to him I haven't seen in a QB's demeanor that I haven't seen since Danny played. He made quite the impression on his teammates, which is why he was made the team MVP.

41. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Whatever...

42. marinotoclayton

marinotoclayton Pro Bowler

If Devlin was really as good as OP stated then the coaches would have let Moore go! And we would be looking for a 3rd string QB. But he obviously hasnt shown enough to be 2nd string material so he stays where he is and thats one less position to worry about!

43. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I have a novel idea, what if we keep both Devlin and Moore on the team and see if Devlin can beat out Moore for the 2nd string positions then when he does we trade Moore. Why get rid of talent when we don't know what we got in Devlin. I remember the Chargers with this back up QB who was the preseason king for 2 or 3 years in a row. He came in and led come back win game after game, and had something like a 11-1 TD/INT %. Never could get on the field til he was traded to a team on the east coast and finally got his chance to start. His name was Cleo Lemon, and needless to say it didn't turn out pretty. Devlin has yet to accomplish anything CLOSE to what Cleo had to that point in his career. There is a reason Devlin is 3rd string.

44. mithga13

mithga13 Well-Known Member

Because paying 5 million for a guy who is going to hold a clipboard all season is just stupid. No other team in the league does it anymore, unless its a long-term veteran who has performed at an extremely high level, that does not describe Matt Moore and along with drastically overpaying Mike Wallace, it ranks up their with El Jeffies dumber moves.

Again, I'm all for Matt Moore staying in a fin uni....if he's willing to reup say for 3 years at about 8 mil total.

45. Dolphins91

Dolphins91 Well-Known Member

46. whizafriz

whizafriz A True Fan

The last 4-5 games I've seen Moore play, he was absolutely terrible. If he plays like crap again this year, I'd dump him off for whatever I can get and save the cash for another player. Devlin may not have experience, but he hasn't played like outright crap, and I think he's capable of developing into a stable backup.

47. KTOWNFINFAN

No, I will tell ya what would be stupid. Stupid would be expecting any QB to last all season behind, what is right now the worst OL in football, then trading his experienced backup and replacing him with a player that has never taken an NFL snap.

Why don't we just cut everyone that doesn't start?? Jordan, Odrick, Gibson, Miller, just kick them all out the door. Just think of the money we would save. :rolleyes2:

48. KTOWNFINFAN

Really?? I agree he had a horrible outing the one game he played last year, but the whole offense was pitful that day. Brady would have faired no better. But in 2012 he played in two games in the regular season and had a 96.6 QB rating. Not sure what you were expecting but I don't see how you could call that "terrible",

49. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

I have no idea why anyone would waste time debating about this topic. Anyway the debate plays out neither is worth anything other than a backup roll.

The real debate should be does Miami move Moore to save 4m? That's the end of it really, cut or trade Moore and save the cap room, you still need a 2nd or 3rd QB if you do that.

50. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

way to make a mountain out of a molehill...