Devlin over O'Donnell

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolfan81, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Dolfan81

Dolfan81 Pro Bowler

looks as if devlin will be #3 if this quarter says anything about it
    did odonnell even get a full drive?

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

ooops, i mean O'Connell

2. Rocket2981

Rocket2981 Rookie Finheaven VIP

I would keep only 2 Qbs and 10 DBs instead. O'Connell is atrocious and Devlin is PS material. If an injury happen, just promote Devlin...

3. Dolfan81

Dolfan81 Pro Bowler

devlin was the one of the top undrafted free agents though, so how long would he last on the ps before someone nabbed him

4. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Devlin certainly looked like a confident QB and showed he's got a good arm. Considering how much longer O'Connell has been in the league, if Devlin already looks better there is no question who to keep.

5. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

We let Devlin play too much; he will never make it the year on the practice squad. Why would we want to keep O'Donnell anyway?

6. Rocket2981

Rocket2981 Rookie Finheaven VIP

I'll give you that, I just try to find a way to keep both Carroll and Allen on the roster lol

7. Show Me Your TDs

Show Me Your TDs My head's on Fire!

I still don't understand the O'Connell signing. I just don't see a NFL player on the field when I watch him. Didn't see it when he was with the PATS nor the JETS. Dude is athletic and has great triangular numbers but is so inaccurate. Hasn't changed since college.

8. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

He was here to throw passes in camp while the other guys were getting water. Now his job is done.

9. FinKnight

FinKnight Rookie

Keeping Devlin seems like a no-brainer to me. He won't last on the PS.

10. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Yeah, i would go devlin on 53 unless we are scouting a qb somewhere.

Devlin would benefit in this offense because his knock has been his holding onto the ball and we know how this offense helped henne.

11. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Always a possibility that I haven't discounted, but when I make my own mental predictions (for myself) I only worry about which guys are the best of the 53 we have out there. 3rd QB, TE and OL are the areas that I wouldn't be surprised if we brought someone else in, strangely enough I think we're pretty good in the other areas.

12. Bonedoc7777

Bonedoc7777 Perennial All-Pro

must keep devlin, can be a future nfl starter, cant lose him

13. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

probably as long as he lasted in the draft

he has done nothing for any team to scoop him up

14. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

With Devlin only opportunity this game he leads the dolphins on a long drive
    Devlin faced some serious pressure and avoided a would be sack for a completion
    then Devlin looked accurate hitting levis in stride on a 4th and 5 to continue the drive
    they did not let Devlin throw with the 4 opportunities on goal line as they were worried he would show too much so they ran it...

What i think happened here is the dolphins didnt want him too do too much but i think he did and will be picked up if we cut for practice squad..

15. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

do u really think teams will salivate over a guy that barely played in preseason and looked good versus guys that wont be in nfl after this week

16. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

Not exactly salivate though some team might put him on a final 53
    seeing enough in him to make him 3rd option or a #2

Lets remember the Front office
    kept wake a backup for a year
    when he was the best pass rusher in the NFL
    and the best player on the dolphins squad
    so they are a little slow to judge talent..

17. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

just saying no team drafted him and he has shown very little in preseason or practice. not saying he is bad .
    also am i misreading u because at that point or even now u cant really say w3ake is the best pass rusher in the nfl.
    he may very well be this year. i am saying that unless the dolphins keep devlin he has little chance to be anything but practice squad for this year.
    now if he had did more in preseason, u could be right but why not keep a guy .bthat knows your system to develop. at this point its doubful that teams have any reason to pick updevlin

18. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

My prediction: Devlin will probably be #2 quarterback by the time the season is over. He will be competing for starting QB next year, unless Henne does great this year. He will eventually be our starter (or someone elses if we're not smart) and be our best quarterback since Penington. You heard it here.

19. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

He had 7 other offers to join teams when the draft was over. I'm pretty sure he'll get picked up...it's exactly how we got Lydon Murtha who Sparano liked in the draft and when he was cut Sparano jumped on him. As bas as Kellen Clemens has been in Washington and some of the other 3rd string QBs around the league he would be a prime candidate for someone to pick up.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i haven't seen last nights game yet but unless devlin lit it up he'd be headed to my p squad..i hadn't seen anything that says this kid should be on the 53 right now

21. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

There wasn't a lot to go on last night but he did have 3 passes, was under pressure and escaped the pocket, continued to look downfield and made passes. Threw a beautiful strike to Livas and hit him in stride on a 4 and 5 that picked up 16 yards...no panick in the kid which was nice to see.

He showed a lot more poise in the pocket than O'Connell and a lot more accuracy. O'Connell's one pass (he dropped back 2 other times but took off running...he panicked in the pocket) was about 2 yards behind the receiver on a crossing pattern.

22. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Devlin has way to much upside to not make the roster. Henne, Moore and Devlin will be our QBs for 2011.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

you never know...especially when its qbs...someone may have eyes for devlin...but no one liked him enough to use an actual pick on him with 250 kids getting drafted...and i think thats telling when it comes to would anyone poach him for their 53 right now at least given how limited nfl game reps exposure they can study

if they do keep him though it won't bother me...god knows we could use a young developmental qb

24. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Devlin had multiple choices, obviously perceiving the upside, when he signed with us. Teams that monitored his senior year included Pitts and NE. IMO, it's naive to think he'll be buried and forgotten secreted away on the PS. Hell at this point he's probably more attractive than Brady Quinn among others. We need to keep him on the roster or we'll lose him .

25. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Give me a break.

26. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami could run with 2 QB's at first, but I don't see them going without 3 for a while.

I think there IDEAL practice squad would be:

Devlin, Livas, Grigsby, Kearse, Brackett, Spears, Wilson and Kopa

Obviously who knows who would pick up a Jimmy Wilson or a Pat Devlin after being waived . . . but ideally, I think this is their 8 guys if they didn't have to worry about them being plucked.

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

jimmy wilson you will lose if you expose him...no doubt in my mind on that one...i'd have his name in pen on my 53 man roster i know that

28. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Devlin is our #3, plain and simple, and would be even if he had a horrendous preseason. The lockout afforded barely enough time to get our starting QB enough time to learn the playbook, let alone a rookie who needs to learn the speed of the game, work with the coaching staff, and even learn his teammates' names. Obviously they love his potential, and that's really all you need to be a #3 QB in the NFL.

29. Yamilo

Yamilo Starter

I dont understand everyones crush on devlin.... All hype for nothing at this point. So much hastle over a 3rd string qb who wasnt even drafted.

30. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

ok you can take 15 minutes

31. Built2Win

Built2Win A True Fan

look at it like this didn't the dolphins lose 2 quarterbacks last year in the span of 5 minutes?

would you rather have an oconnel who can make some plays with his legs but inaccurate
    or a rookie in devlin who maybe starter worthy someday with more accuracy?

32. ry-dbar

ry-dbar Well-Known Member Donator

I've heard people talk about "it" factor. In the little action I've seen, Devlin seems like he could have it.

Reminds me a lot of Flacco. jk.

33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

In reality neither devlin or oconnel seem to offer alot

34. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Devlin would have to be considered a longterm project, not a guy who would pay immediate dividends. You're not gonna keep him based on what he can do this year, but maybe what he can do in a couple.

35. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Salivate? No. Take him off the practice squad? Yes.

Kid can play. I'm baffled that he wasn't drafted.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

what has he done to allo of a sudden make teams want him. Its one thing to want him as an udfa but that doesnt mean they want him on final roster
    There are not really many teams that are going to sign a qb cut on last week except maybe a vet

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
  37. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

I just finished watching the final preseason game on NFL network, I hate Rich ****ing Essien btw, kept myself away from all news about the game then a minute before game starts switch on NFL network and he says "Cowboys at Dolphins next, watch Larry Johnson score a TD" . Anyway side tracked there, no way O'Connell has done enough to justify a roster spot in the one drive he got, Devlin in his limited time showed a lot more. And as mentioned he'll just not last on the PS, we got to add him to the 53 if we hope to hang onto him.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

if its me i take the chance devlin returns on the p squad...he looked poised and like he was in control of the huddle but come on guys one quick slant throw does not warrant a roster spot on this 53 for an undrafted free agent...

thats just my take...if they keep him on the 53 i'm fine with it...but i'd expose him with a pretty darn good feeling he'd come back on my p squad

39. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Ayatollah of rock and rolla

Agreed. Devlin is PS material. Froman just cut by the Falcons, too, I think. I'd try to lure him away from their PS squad too if I was the Dolphins.

O'Connell is terrible. I've been saying that since he was at San Diego State.

40. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i still haven't seen devlin throw a ball to the far outer 3rds of the field...i already know he can throw slant routes and underneath stuff with decent velocity...i want to see him throw some of those must have in your arsenal in order to not have the defense just sit on stuff vertical outer 3rd of the field stick throws....maybe he's shown it in practice...would be nice if i could see it