Divide hardens between Chargers, Bosa

NY8123

The Fixer
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Holding out over offset language.

Dude must really believe he's going to bust just like his dad.

This is something i spent years bitching about when Dawn Aponte was angling to set herself up for a new job at the league office. Its a dumb, shoot-yourself-in-the-foot "principle" on the teams part.

Its important to remember that picks after 15 (or something) automatically get offset language. Its something the players more or less conceded on. So any relatively successful team doesn't have to deal with this ****. And it goes without saying that should be the goal for every franchise.
How does royally pissing off your high draft picks over what is essentially nickles and dimes to a franchise help their chances of never dealing with this issue again? In the Chargers case its especially rough. Mike McCoy might be in the hottest seat in the league. Even if the front office doesn't care about that, that team lives or dies on Philip Rivers arm. Rivers turns 35 during the season. Even in his prime Rivers couldn't carry that team to a ring with bad defenses. Defensive ends usually take 2-3 years to fully develop. Its just not a position you learn on the fly. If he misses all of training camp the team basically eats an entire year of progress. And thats assuming he can ever recover from such a missed opportunity, which is no guarantee.

These young players are trying to set themselves up for life. And given CTE its not an exaggeration to say they might give up their life for this sport. Bosa and anyone else objecting to these shenanigans are not only fighting for their right to get the best deal possible but for the rights of future players. The NFLPA and agents have an vested interest in making sure their guys get all the money thats owed to them. On the flip side, whats in this for the teams? Less than a million bucks in the event he busts? If a team misses on the 3rd overall pick they have bigger **** to worry about than a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Of course, the above assumes teams are doing with honorable (albeit mistaken) intentions. They aren't. This is just another way the NFL has chosen to try and put them uppity peasant players back in their place.

And uncle. My sentiments exactly.

But this is all on the chargers. The notoriously cheap family that owns that team agonizes over **** like this as if they think they're following the bill belichik how to book on building a contender. They aren't. It's embarrassing.

I read that San Diego wants both offset language and a deferred signing bonus. Bosa's camp will concede one but not the other, but San Diego isn't budging. Seems like an insane thing for San Diego's front office to dig in on, but I've heard their GM can be a pain in the ass to work with.

I read that San Diego wants both offset language and a deferred signing bonus. Bosa's camp will concede one but not the other, but San Diego isn't budging. Seems like an insane thing for San Diego's front office to dig in on, but I've heard their GM can be a pain in the ass to work with.

Ding ding ding....now it all makes sense to me. That would be understandable.

The offset language thing isn't really a big deal. Hell Miami is saving themselves on Dion Jordan's contract right now due to offset language and rightly so.

I understand that he looked average in OTAs . I personally never understood all the hype surrounding him.
People kept talking about his pedigree i.e father and uncle played in the NFL.
Actually, I wouldn't call what either of them did "playing". They both stunk. I was at the peak of my passion for the Phins in those days and watched both Bosa and Kumerow get drafted in successive years. They were supposed to be the foundation for a rebuilt Dolphin defense after the killers B's started to age. Bosa was an injury prone steroid junkie and Kumerow was nothing more than an over rated tweener who had no instincts and no gift as a pass rusher.
They were a big reason why Marino never got to another SB. It's hard to build a contending defense when you strike out on back to back 1st rd picks.
Perhaps I have a bias towards the Bosa name, but my gut tells me Joey will be a relative bust and will never live up to his draft status

Im thinking it has as much to do with them miscasting him out the gate as it does money

The end game here is in favor of San Diego. I don't think he has much leverage beyond sitting the season out in which case his value decrease even more.

Ding ding ding....now it all makes sense to me. That would be understandable.

The offset language thing isn't really a big deal. Hell Miami is saving themselves on Dion Jordan's contract right now due to offset language and rightly so.

Pretty sure Miami only saves if he signs with another team. And thats what stupid about the whole thing, even with Jordan, one of the biggest busts the league has ever seen, we got nothing out of offset language.

It's ridiculous that the Chargers want to defer a signing bonus until next year. That's the equivalent of you and I being awarded a Christmas bonus this year but not actually collecting it until Thanksgiving next year.

Back
Top Bottom