Do we keep a defense end on the roster just for base defense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we keep a defense end on the roster just for base defense?

ph0enyx

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Last year we had Derrick Shelby backing up Wake. Shelby recorded 8 tackles and no sacks last season. As of right now our starting defensive ends appear to be Wake and Vernon. In nickel defense Jordan, Misi, and if they make the team Trusnik, Kaddu, and Freeny can all back up as straight defensive ends or as the pseudo linebacker spot Vernon plays. We spend about 57% of the time in nickle and dime and only 41% of the time in base. Odrick and Vaughn Martin who we signed from the Chargers both have experience at defensive end in our system (The Chargers used some 3-4 over/4-3 under looks meaning Martin would have spent some time as a 1 gap DE). Starks, Soliai, Odrick, and Martin will not all be on the field at DT at the same time while in base, meaning if need be either Odrick or Martin could fill in for one of the DE spots as a sub or an injury replacement saving a roster spot from being used on a less used defensive end like Shelby, at least on the 46 man game day roster.

It's a good point. The only rebuttal I could offer is that the staff will find space for a talented rusher, no matter whether they could theoretically cover that spot with other starting players.

I don't think Shelby is that guy, so he's under pressure. Trusnik is more a classic LB and is also on the bubble imo. Freeney I don't know enough about, tbh. Kaddu has never played with his hand on the ground, afaik, though apparently the coaches like his pass rush potential from LB. Having his old teammates Jordan and Clay on the roster maybe help his and Clay's chances (I'm a big fan of Oregon's defense of the last two years - maybe Coyle is too).

The new UDFA pickup Onyenekwu is an interesting kid. More than likely he's a Practice Squad player, but given we really don't have any pass rush talent outside of Wake, Jordan and Vernon (Misi at a push), he could make the roster at the expense of one of these "jack of all trades, master of none" backups like Shelby, Freeney, Martin, Trusnik....

He's a guy worth investing in for a season, imo. But I totally agree that he would be a bit of a luxury with the flexibility we have in our front seven roster. When it comes to pass rush, though, it's a luxury you should be prepared to afford.

i would absolutely keep shelby if he proves to be as stout at the poa vs the run and on the edge as he did last year in camp...not to mention there's still some upside potential with him...the only problem is he's never gonna be an impact pass rusher cause he lacks that burst to close etc...

but he's a rotational de and vaughn martin is getting long in the tooth...a couple injuries and you'd wish you had shelby on base d...

don't just cut your depth just cause you have too many numbers there...if shelbys one of your best 53 keep him...

Back
Top Bottom