Do we need anymore defensive upgrades or are we set? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we need anymore defensive upgrades or are we set?

mbhcu98

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think we are set defensively if our picks pan out. Dion Jordan solidifies our oline and really leaves no holes. Jamar Taylor and Will Davis do the same for our secondary. With us drafting Jelani Jenkins, I think our LBs are stacked. I see no holes in our D, IF ALL WORKS OUT. I thought we would do the exact opposite and totally fill all offensive holes in the draft but, I like what we did for the offense. Thoughts?

We'll see how this secondary turns out... We know we have 1 stud back there in Jones. Clemons hasn't done much, maybe he can bust out this year, and our corners... Well we'll see lol

I would still like to upgrade FS, but its not like its a glaring hole like CB and DE were.

I would agree. Our D-line has Wake, Jordan, Vernon, Odrick, Soliai, Starks. Odrick can play DT more with the addition of Jordan. If Jamar Taylor wins a starting spot we should be ok at CB. LB depth seems good. S depth is up in the air, Wilson should be moved back to the S position.

I think we are set. We have a few safeties that will push the starters, and a few LBs that could take the place of last year's backups.

I would agree. Our D-line has Wake, Jordan, Vernon, Odrick, Soliai, Starks. Odrick can play DT more with the addition of Jordan. If Jamar Taylor wins a starting spot we should be ok at CB. LB depth seems good. S depth is up in the air, Wilson should be moved back to the S position.

And don't forget Shelby, Randle, and Martin. Our DL is pretty much set in stone. I don't think Jordan will see much action at DE this year however. He will be a 3rd down standing rusher. Maybe by next year he will be a DE, but his rookie year he will have to get stronger.

Id like to upgrade Clemons. Also, you can never have enough pass rush and corners, just saying.

I think Clemons has already proven himself, having played pretty durn well last season. Obviously he didn't break out to the degree that Jones did, but he was still generally solid.

I think Clemons has already proven himself, having played pretty durn well last season. Obviously he didn't break out to the degree that Jones did, but he was still generally solid.

He has proven himself to be mediocre... he wasn't terrible, but didn't really bring anything to the table either. If we don't upgrade his spot, it won't be the end of the world for us, but as of right now, he is definitely not a permanent solution as a starting safety.

Not really concerned about Clemons. He will get better twice, once thru natural progression and then from the elevated play of the rest of the defense. CAN we upgrade there, yes but, it isn't a dire need. He will be fine next season. Even with Clemons back there, I see no weaknesses. Dline is stacked, LBs look very good and the secondary is now very good(hopefully Taylor will pan out). Not much competition on D though. I figure the only spots open for competition is one CB spot, RDE and OLB or wherever Misi will play. Grimes, Clemons, Jones are set in the secondary. Wheeler and Ellerbe are set at LB. Wake, Solai, Starks are set on the dline. Only spots that have comp are OLB, RDE and CB. I'm hoping Jenkins can beat out Misi. Taylor to beat out Marshal or Patterson, which ever isn't cut. And I really want Vernon to beat out Odrick for the RDE spot. Jordan will be a back up or 3rd own player this season.

If Taylor becomes a good corner then no.

You can't have studs at every position.

This. Clemons is a solid player that won't make huge game breaking mistakes, but he won't make huge game breaking plays. Every team needs guys like him that will go out there and give you the same thing every play.

After a first down catch I always see Clemons in the picture. I don't know if it was him or the CB that missed the assignment. Most likely it was his assignment or a zone scheme. He doesn't successfully defend a lot of passes but he makes the tackle after the catch. I was hoping he would be released.

He has proven himself to be mediocre... he wasn't terrible, but didn't really bring anything to the table either. If we don't upgrade his spot, it won't be the end of the world for us, but as of right now, he is definitely not a permanent solution as a starting safety.

But isn't that a good problem to have?? I remember not that many years ago, I wanna say 09. Our starting FS was shutter Gibril Wilson:puke:
I think we all remember (or chose to black out ) that "wonderful" secondary that season. Man o man how things really have changed. It's gotten so much better so fast and it feels so good WOOOO!! God i love this team! lol

Back
Top Bottom