Do we need anymore defensive upgrades or are we set?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mbhcu98, Apr 30, 2013.

1. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

I think we are set defensively if our picks pan out. Dion Jordan solidifies our oline and really leaves no holes. Jamar Taylor and Will Davis do the same for our secondary. With us drafting Jelani Jenkins, I think our LBs are stacked. I see no holes in our D, IF ALL WORKS OUT. I thought we would do the exact opposite and totally fill all offensive holes in the draft but, I like what we did for the offense. Thoughts?

2. Miamifin23

Miamifin23 Seasoned Veteran

We'll see how this secondary turns out... We know we have 1 stud back there in Jones. Clemons hasn't done much, maybe he can bust out this year, and our corners... Well we'll see lol

3. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Acorns.. lol..

4. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

I would still like to upgrade FS, but its not like its a glaring hole like CB and DE were.

5. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

I would agree. Our D-line has Wake, Jordan, Vernon, Odrick, Soliai, Starks. Odrick can play DT more with the addition of Jordan. If Jamar Taylor wins a starting spot we should be ok at CB. LB depth seems good. S depth is up in the air, Wilson should be moved back to the S position.

6. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I think we are set. We have a few safeties that will push the starters, and a few LBs that could take the place of last year's backups.

7. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

And don't forget Shelby, Randle, and Martin. Our DL is pretty much set in stone. I don't think Jordan will see much action at DE this year however. He will be a 3rd down standing rusher. Maybe by next year he will be a DE, but his rookie year he will have to get stronger.

8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Id like to upgrade Clemons. Also, you can never have enough pass rush and corners, just saying.

9. j0hnny63

j0hnny63 bon jon bovi

I think Clemons has already proven himself, having played pretty durn well last season. Obviously he didn't break out to the degree that Jones did, but he was still generally solid.

10. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

He has proven himself to be mediocre... he wasn't terrible, but didn't really bring anything to the table either. If we don't upgrade his spot, it won't be the end of the world for us, but as of right now, he is definitely not a permanent solution as a starting safety.

11. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

If Taylor becomes a good corner then no.

You can't have studs at every position.

12. mbhcu98

mbhcu98 Well-Known Member

Not really concerned about Clemons. He will get better twice, once thru natural progression and then from the elevated play of the rest of the defense. CAN we upgrade there, yes but, it isn't a dire need. He will be fine next season. Even with Clemons back there, I see no weaknesses. Dline is stacked, LBs look very good and the secondary is now very good(hopefully Taylor will pan out). Not much competition on D though. I figure the only spots open for competition is one CB spot, RDE and OLB or wherever Misi will play. Grimes, Clemons, Jones are set in the secondary. Wheeler and Ellerbe are set at LB. Wake, Solai, Starks are set on the dline. Only spots that have comp are OLB, RDE and CB. I'm hoping Jenkins can beat out Misi. Taylor to beat out Marshal or Patterson, which ever isn't cut. And I really want Vernon to beat out Odrick for the RDE spot. Jordan will be a back up or 3rd own player this season.

13. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

This. Clemons is a solid player that won't make huge game breaking mistakes, but he won't make huge game breaking plays. Every team needs guys like him that will go out there and give you the same thing every play.

14. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

After a first down catch I always see Clemons in the picture. I don't know if it was him or the CB that missed the assignment. Most likely it was his assignment or a zone scheme. He doesn't successfully defend a lot of passes but he makes the tackle after the catch. I was hoping he would be released.

15. phinmania

phinmania Starter Finheaven VIP

But isn't that a good problem to have?? I remember not that many years ago, I wanna say 09. Our starting FS was shutter Gibril Wilson:puke:
    I think we all remember (or chose to black out ) that "wonderful" secondary that season. Man o man how things really have changed. It's gotten so much better so fast and it feels so good WOOOO!! God i love this team! lol

16. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

I'd love to upgrade everywhere, mainly in the secondary. But, the draft is over and until the training camp cuts, this is our team.

There will not be a lot we can do a this point.

17. CRAZYDOLFAN305

Atila, not trying to be an ***. But there's 64 safeties in the league, not only is Clemons one of the fastest timed safeties, Clemons is coming off his best year for us. Pro Football Focus ranked him sixth in tackling efficiency among safeties.

Clemons may not have been as accomplished as his counterpart, but he was good enough to be ranked 25th in a field of 87 NFL safeties. His 99 tackles (80 solo, 10 assists, 2 INT) and zero touchdowns helped solidify the center of the field. He allowed just 16 completions on 28 attempts, which is much more than Jones gave up, but still good enough to help him lock down the fifth best NFL rating among safeties with 600 plus snaps.

So we stand to get a better safety down the line? Yes, but is he as bad as we may believe, the statics don't bear that out..

18. fuego89

fuego89 New Member

would not mind adding Charles Woodson at FS but i'd be just fine if we don't add anything else to the defense

19. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Safeties could stand to be upgraded but the biggest issue on D is having multiple DT come up for FA next year. We either need to resign, replace, or draft for those positions. For this season we're in good shape if the CB situation gets sorted out.

20. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I don't think you're an *** at all. I saw all those stats, but stats don't tell exactly everything going on. TO BE VERY CLEAR: I'm not hating on Clemons, far from it, I think he is at least decent. He is pretty fast and a pretty solid tackler.

He didn't give up touchdowns because he was extremely conservative in his coverages - not sure if that was a result of scheme or personnel, but he was CONSTANTLY getting beat underneath. They may not have "credited" him with giving up passes underneath, but that doesn't matter to me - if you watched the games, he had a lot of balls caught underneath his zones. Furthermore, he didn't add anything to a defense that didn't create many turnovers.

He is going to most likely start this season and that's okay, I don't expect him to be a glaring weakness on our team. But just to reiterate what I said in my previous post, he is not a starting caliber safety on an *elite* defense. That doesn't make him a bad player, not everyone is going to the Pro Bowl.

Look, those stats are nice as a supplement. They are not an end all, be all. Chris Clemons is not a problem, but last season, he was not the solution either. I expect and I hope he improves next season... but judging him based on his output last season (by watching the games, watching the tape, and not the stats), he was more like top 30-40 safety (which is to say, not the worst, but far from the best).

21. dfan09

dfan09 Member

Does it seem weird that the dolphins have been in the top 5 in pass D (avg./gm) for the AFC 4 out of the last 5 years ?

22. CRAZYDOLFAN305

I have to admit, I didn't see the underneath stuff and I've watching every game on All-22 Atleast 4 or five times... I'm going to have to take a closer look, maybe you're right!

23. dfan09

dfan09 Member

What the Hell? I thought this was a "passing league"

24. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Keep this name in my mind for Mini-camps and training camps - Kelcie McCray.. He might start this season ahead of Clemons.

25. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I believe there is going to be some talented cap cuts coming available cheap, and we do have some cash to spend. I could see a safety, maybe a vet LB for depth, and a young DT if one comes available.

26. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

A little help at safety, otherwise we are good on defense IMO.

27. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Wel, the defence looks pretty good on paper. Now they need to actually execute out on the field. We need to improve our pass rush which is why they drafted Jordan. He has potential but he still needs to go out there and do it in the games. If the pass rush can be consisten then the rest of the defence will be much better for it.

Ozzy rules!!

28. So Be

So Be A True Fan

DT is important for next year with Starks and Soliai both potential high priced FA's. We may well lose both, leaving only Odrick, and a need in the rotation for 2 players. Rookie DT's are seldom ready their first year. I can see this on Irelands shopping list.

29. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

There are still people out there that think our most solid Safety is no good???? :lol: That made me laugh