Do you agree with re-signing Hartline? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you agree with re-signing Hartline?

Are you pleased with a Hartline re-signing...

• Total voters
I'm curious for those of you that specifically don't like the signing @ that price. What options IYO do you ABSOLUTELY KNOW/THINK will be/or is available out there that are either or both

1) Comparable to
2) Better than Hartline

at a cheaper price?

Second question is this: Most seem to agree that Hartline is/was worth about 4 million at the most! Does the additional 2mill that he got drastically change or restrict any other FA moves that we could make?

Disappointment is not nearly strong enough word -- if they pay Hartline anywhere NEAR 6 mill per season.

Flushing good WR money down the toilet.

Tells me all I need to know about Ireland. And the doom of this team.

LD

Depends on the master plan. What he did last year with the nightmare offseason and a rookie QB is pretty impressive.

I'm curious for those of you that specifically don't like the signing @ that price. What options IYO do you ABSOLUTELY KNOW/THINK will be/or is available out there that are either or both

1) Comparable to
2) Better than Hartline

at a cheaper price?

Second question is this: Most seem to agree that Hartline is/was worth about 4 million at the most! Does the additional 2mill that he got drastically change or restrict any other FA moves that we could make?

Like I said above, I believe you could get a 700-800/3TD performance out of a rookie you draft this year in round 2-3. That's probably what you will get out of Hartline if he's getting a #2's worth of targets. For me it's not really about the extra 1-2M for Hartline, it's the totality of his contract and what I expect to get from him in the #2 spot.

The difference is that the rookie probably wouldn't be able to slide into the #1 spot quite as well as Hartline should your #1 go down, at least not in his rookie season.

To me, the re-signing of Hartline is an indication of one of two things, and possibly both:
1) Ireland believes there is a good chance he does NOT end up with Jennings or Wallace and therefore needs Hartline to serve as the #1 for a short period while a highly-drafted rook (e.g. Patterson or Allen) learns the ropes
2) Ireland intends to move/replace Bess

1) Comparable to
2) Better than Hartline

at a cheaper price?

Sign Wallace or Jennings. Not going to be cheap but gives us a proven difference maker that can score TD's.
Use the 6 million you didn't invest in Hartline and instead invest in another position in free agency like TE, DB or OT.
Draft at least 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Bailey is my personal favorite, but insert your favorite WRs here.

Paying inflated market prices for average WRs is a recipe for failure. Unfortunately that's something this front office has a history of doing (Ernest Wilford says hi).

1) Comparable to
2) Better than Hartline

at a cheaper price?

Keep the signing bonus about 4M and keep this years cap low. Make a 3 yr contract and back load it some to make him earn the bigger payday or release with low cap hit.

I'd say the # of rookie receivers who come in and put up 800 yds and 3 TDs who are drafted in the 2-3rd round are pretty rare. There are a lot of names floating around..but lets be honest most of them won't pan out. That's just the nature of the draft

Why not just draft Ryan Swope? He has chemistry with Tannehill. I personally think he will be better then Hartline.

The only thing that really matters is the guaranteed money. As long as that's not crazy than he's worth it. He did miss all of training camp last year and had a productive year. He also has chemistry with Tannehill.

Let's start with the first statement "I believe you could get!" I don't think anyone here doubts you can get 700/800/3TD from Hartline next season. Will you get that from a rookie? I haven't looked at the stats but I remember pointing to alot of rookies don't typically generate those numbers.

I'm not sure I understand your logic of thinking because of the signing amount Ireland believes he MAY NOT end up with Jennings or Wallace? If anything I see it as the Dolphins trying to preserve what they feel is a positive relationship between Hartline/Tannehill which I'm guessing they feel maximizes our offense next season at one of the receiver positions.

Now I do agree with the Bess statement! In an ideal world I can see them shipping off Bess with a strong preference for someone like Swope... Ideally I think the want a lineup that looks something like this

Wallace or Jennings(likely), Swope, Hartline!

Like I said above, I believe you could get a 700-800/3TD performance out of a rookie you draft this year in round 2-3. That's probably what you will get out of Hartline if he's getting a #2's worth of targets. For me it's not really about the extra 1-2M for Hartline, it's the totality of his contract and what I expect to get from him in the #2 spot.

The difference is that the rookie probably wouldn't be able to slide into the #1 spot quite as well as Hartline should your #1 go down, at least not in his rookie season.

To me, the re-signing of Hartline is an indication of one of two things, and possibly both:
1) Ireland believes there is a good chance he does NOT end up with Jennings or Wallace and therefore needs Hartline to serve as the #1 for a short period while a highly-drafted rook (e.g. Patterson or Allen) learns the ropes
2) Ireland intends to move/replace Bess

Not at the reported 6mil a year. I don't think that 1 td is deserving of 6 mil
I understand only touchdowns win games, but Brian is a fine receiver that's important for Dolphins future.
If best #1 WR is asking for 14 millions/season, a 6 million per season looks fair for one of the best #2 WR of the league.
If I were on Jeff Ireland's shoes, I would work a 5 million/season contract including an incentive clause of $100,000/TD.

So I can interpret your thought process based on what your wrote as

1) Those drafted receivers ARE going to give you atleast the same production that Hartline would. BTW, the stats that I've looked at says that's not true..BUT I could be wrong
2) Overall without your most productive receiver ast season(Hartline) and literally except for maybe Bess and Matthews...3 new players(Wallace, 2 receivers)

WILL result in a better receiving offense than with Hartline?

Sign Wallace or Jennings. Not going to be cheap but gives us a proven difference maker that can score TD's.
Use the 6 million you didn't invest in Hartline and instead invest in another position in free agency like TE, DB or OT.
Draft at least 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Bailey is my personal favorite, but insert your favorite WRs here.

Paying inflated market prices for average WRs is a recipe for failure. Unfortunately that's something this front office has a history of doing (Ernest Wilford says hi).

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Why not just draft Ryan Swope? He has chemistry with Tannehill. I personally think he will be better then Hartline.

What makes you think they're not going too?

Back
Top Bottom