Do You Guys Care?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Guys Care??

JPhinfan86 said:
I like this idea alot. Lower the cost and recieve more donations...is there any reason why it wouldn't work? As soon as I can afford it, I would most definetly give 25 buckaroos.

How about $5 every quarter or something? I personally would not pay 25 right now since i am unemployed and will be attending school for the next two years full time but if i cant scrape up $5 for some serious info then it must be a sad state of affairs. Keep in mind alot of info can be gotten elsewhere and people will move to where they can get it even though they like this sight.
You need to get the demand started for support and numbers are always better than the few who pay more. Also another thing is to put up numbers so people understand what money is being made and what it goes to so eveyone is on hte up and up about continous support. Kind of like my church that always shows the accounting every week. It lets everyone know what is needed so people act.

Muck said:
Man, I thought we were worth more than that. :cry: ;)

Hey, your AFO's will be replaced soon. And your swingman jerseys will up in the closet soon. But FinHeaven will be here for good. And I bet you get more use out of us than them. :D

Don't ask about my shoes. :lol:

LOL, AFO's never die... ;)

About the $.99 thing, Gram mentioned $.99 in his original post, and that's why I brought it up.

Hell at .99 cents per member, per year, we would be flowing in cash!"

I've donated to the site in the past. I'm not a Premium Member because $84 is a lot. However, as someone said before, you don't have to be a Premium Member to give money to the site. It isn't like the only two options are to give $84 a year to the site or give nothing.

Quit whining, fork over some dough and feel good while your reading, bitchin and complaining..

nuf sed!!!

I understand the problem. I contribute to the best sci-fi news and rumors site Sci Fi Guys and it costs more to run then it generates in income. We do it because we love to do it in the same way that AJ and Muck and the rest do here.

People expect things that they would pay for in real life to be free on the Internet. That's just the way it is.

It's not fair to the people that work so hard to support and create these websites. But, that's reality.

As a newer member I've been very impressed with the content of this website, both the design and the people who post. Before reading this thread I had no idea that costs were going to make the web server sell off his Dolphin Memorabilia to keep it going for us.

That shouldn't have to happen. While message boards are generally free, this site is not run by a larger company, but by someone obviously devoted to the Dolphins like ourselves. By the amount of new posts each day there seems to be a lot of people who enjoy reading and commenting here, and at any given time there are at least 10 members viewing. You'd think that some of us could pitch in and help one of our favorite sites.

That said, I have looked at the $84 dollar tag, and it does look steep. Like others posting, I have a wife, morgage, and a cat to pay for. :D Maybe different values and awards could be added for people who want to give a smaller contribution. But since I've found this site I've been on everyday, even if it's just to check the newswire(great addition guys) and to see your comments on them(great thoughts group). For that, contributing at least a little money would be worthwile.
Hell, it's my birthday today. I think giving some money to the web site that makes my mornings brighter every day will be a good gift.

Wow,

First of all yes I have heard that you catch more flies with honey, however that wasn't working. There is a real nice honey post stuck up at the top of this page. Since I am no longer a member of the administration, I don't HAVE to be nice about this at all. I am just one of you guys now.

Second of all, I am talking to those members of this board WHO CAN AFFORD THE $84.

If you can't afford it, then I am not talking to you.

If you want to donate a $1, $5, $10, $25, whatever...then do it soon, cause what really made me upset was hearing that AJ had to put his stuff on e bay. That is crappy, and you all know it.

I have a wife, 4 year old, dog, mortgage, direct T.V., a car to rebuild, and this site is still important enough to me to pay the $84.

Whoever made the "should of had prior planning" B.S. statement, I have this to say; what would you of done?

As this site grew, and grew, and grew, it got to the point where AJ and I were freaking out trying to figure out how to pay for this place. We switched to a cheaper server, and the site promptly crashed every couple days. We tried getting advertisers to step up, with very limited success.

There were two options, shut this place down (which we ALMOST did) or ask for help from the people who use this place everyday.

So don't give me this "prior planning" crap.

Look if you all don't care if Fin Heaven is around, then don't pay. Almost everyone who has replied to this thread seems to rank this place just above the toilet paper they wipe with.

However, if Fin Heaven means anything at all to you, if you would miss this place when it gone, then figure out how much it would mean to you to keep it around, and send it A.J.'s way.

Gram

ChambersOwnz84 said:
Can I afford it? Sure, but that doesn't mean that personal things don't mean more.

[/i]

This statement kills me....

what you're saying is YOUR personal things mean more. You'd rather have a closet full of AFO's, and post over 5000 times on this site the one year you've been here, and let the person responsible for allowing you to be here so much to sell HIS personal stuff, in order for you to:
A: Keep YOUR stuff, and get more
B: Continue to post on the site he sold HIS stuff to save, and
C: act as though he's asking for your last freekin dime, and forcing you to pay.

Nobody said you HAVE to pay... nobody said you'll be banned if you don't...

This site grew from a total of FOUR members to over FOUR THOUSAND in just a few short years. I fail to see how that could possibly be the result of poor planning. We're talking about a small staff of volunteers running this site. AJ and Gram (Dolphan87) started this site on their own. AJ a 14 yr old kid in Tampa, and Gram living out in Arizona. Now the staff consists of that same kid in Tampa (a few years older), Muck, also in Tampa, Myself in NJ, and people like TerryTate, P4E, Dolphan39, and others spread out across the country, who donate time, effort an money to this place so Everyone can enjoy it....all 4000 of you. It's not like we have a fiscal budget, or shareholders to "plan" the financial future of the site.

I've said it in the other thread...if you think it's a cinch to run a site like this, keep it stable, manage 4000+ (and growing daily) members, and offer the features that this site has, all out of your own pockets...then I invite you to contact a hosting company, and get the ball rolling. Good Luck. :shakeno:

WharfRat said:

what you're saying is YOUR personal things mean more. You'd rather have a closet full of AFO's, and post over 5000 times on this site the one year you've been here, and let the person responsible for allowing you to be here so much to sell HIS personal stuff, in order for you to:
C: act as though he's asking for your last freekin dime, and forcing you to pay.

This site grew from a total of FOUR members to over FOUR THOUSAND in just a few short years. I fail to see how that could possibly be the result of poor planning. We're talking about a small staff of volunteers running this site. AJ and Gram (Dolphan87) started this site on their own. AJ a 14 yr old kid in Tampa, and Gram living out in Arizona. Now the staff consists of that same kid in Tampa (a few years older), Muck, also in Tampa, Myself in NJ, and people like TerryTate, P4E, Dolphan39, and others spread out across the country, who donate time, effort an money to this place so Everyone can enjoy it....all 4000 of you. It's not like we have a fiscal budget, or shareholders to "plan" the financial future of the site.

I've said it in the other thread...if you think it's a cinch to run a site like this, keep it stable, manage 4000+ (and growing daily) members, and offer the features that this site has, all out of your own pockets...then I invite you to contact a hosting company, and get the ball rolling. Good Luck. :shakeno:

BTW - I also have expenses: 2 EX-wives, rent, 3 daughters, car payment, etc. and still manage to contribute over and above the premium membership price tag.

WharfRat said:

Amen and amen. A post so nice he posted it twice.

Gram

Not to be a smart azz but it breaks down to about .23 cents a day for the membership. I feel like one of those commercals for only 23 cents a day you can help feed the poor hungry information starved dolphin fan can't you please help... now back to the show.

I have been a premium member since they started it, I know that not everybody can afford it, I have the wife two kids morgage and all the credit cards that go with it. but I joined because Living in Ohio the only Fin info I could get was what espn would say or the dolphin digiest who could deliver it until it was a week old with first class mail. So it just a matter of choice if you feel it worth it and you can afford just us premuim members or donate what you can, if not then enjoy the site and I hope you can help out in the future.

I'll get off my soap box now

Bottom Line

I am new to Fin Heaven and I really enjoy reading and posting messages, but the fact of the matter is this: the majority of people will not pay $84.00 to become Premium Members. It is just more than most are willing to pay.
Sportsline is my favorite league site, with the average league costing about $120.00 per year. With that league you get a private league message board, a fantasy football message board, a opportunity to comment on articles, etc. You get the point. That averages $10.00 per person for a 10 team league. And lots of people play in multiple leagues.
What makes this message board more fun is that it is mostly Dolphin Fans. What makes paying for it difficult is that most message boards are free.
I think Fin Heaven has three options. Choose any of these options and you should cover your costs:
1) Charge everyone who uses the site a modest membership fee. I think people will pay to join this board. $.99 seems to low. Why not ask for $5.00 from everyone?
2) Sell more advertising and have the advertisers pay for cost of the site. This is what many sites are doing. With the amount of visitors you are attracting you should be able to sell advertising - (just stay away from pop-up ads).
3) Become a fantasy league site. Fish fans would gladly run our leagues here if you had a good fantasy site.

There are 3 viable solutions. I think if you ask for $84.00 most people will come up with a legitimate reason why that is more than they can spend.

WharfRat said:

I don't get your point. Me saying that MY personal wants are more important to ME than a message board that's not mine kills you? :huh:

Personally, I feel bad for AJ that he has to sell all his stuff, and this thread has nothing to do with how good of a site FH is(it is my favorite site)...but I'm not coughing up $84 a year, even if I can afford it now. Who knows what happens to my money when I go to college in August? I could cough over the money now and end up azzed out later on, even though not likely.

Now would I prefer to go get that nice Isiah Thomas college throwback for about $70 or to cough over even more money on a message board(although my favorite one)? Pretend that you're not on the staff before answering that question from your view...

God damn I really can't believe some of you guys, you act like they're trying to make you feel guilty in order to fork over a little dough and that this site is just another site. Let me tell you something, I 've been to nearly all the Dolphins message boards and none are run like this. Go to the ESPN message boards and see if you get half the quality of stuff you get on here, the difference on here is the admins care about this site and devote countless hours of their day to make sure you don't have to sort through spam and trolling, and you know what after they're done you read it for free, you can post for free, have pics, PM's, pretty much the whole works for free. If your not going to contribute then don't no one is asking you to, like Muck said for them to even be asking you for money means they are pretty much out of options. You guys are taking the site for granted, not everyone but all you with your little "I won't pay for a message board" posts just really got me ticked. This is not just a message board, this is the most knowledgeable and intelligent community of Dolphins fans in the world and it's a crying shame you don't realize it...

Not to nitpick here, but aren't there way more than 7 Premium Members? I know I've seen more than 7 ppl with the "premium member" tag (that's not including the mods).

Anyway, while I probably won't become a premium member anytime soon, I WILL donate some money. I'll probably give like $10 bucks or something, twice a year. I'll chip in when I can.

I do appreciate this site. It's hard to get intelligent Dolphin talk anywhere alse.

Back
Top Bottom