Does it matter who is qb, with this defense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does it matter who is qb, with this defense?

Tannchise

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I do admit, Moore runs the show with more energy, but look at these stats:

#4 Rush D
#13 Pass D
#7 overall.

First of all props to Matt Burke, hope we can keep him a while. He has taken a unit, that for almost 4 seasons before, was just horrific, esp against the run. The NYJ exposed us a little last night, but I feel confident Burke can work on this. With this type of defense, as long as the qb can keep us in the game, combined with our playmakers, we are a much better team than last year. Makes you wish RT was healthy. My wish is for Gase to look deeper into the offensive woes on the Line, and see what he can do. Whether it's Two TEs, a fullback, or using a back with more versatility and taking away some carries for Ajayi. We no longer have a porous defense, so now, if we can keep our QB upright for an extra 1.5 seconds, there is no telling where this offense could go

The numbers make our defense look better than it really is. Giving up 28 points to a team like the Jets shows we have weak areas on the D. Once teams figure out those areas, they can exploit them, and this defense moves down the ladder.

I think it certainly does matter, but I see your point. There are a few things that have changed, but I think there are two things that are absolutely essential to this D:

1) A healthy Reshad Jones
2) Interior D Line pressure.

As long as these two things are clicking, the entire defense can get better, as long as everyone remembers their assignments. Safety play is absolutely essential to a good defense; just ask Seattle how their defense fared without Earl Thomas.

I'm going to be VERY interested to see what happens with McDonald active now.

Ack. Disregard. I had it in my head that he had a six game suspension rather than eight.

The numbers make our defense look better than it really is. Giving up 28 points to a team like the Jets shows we have weak areas on the D. Once teams figure out those areas, they can exploit them, and this defense moves down the ladder.
really it was 21, right?

I hear you but they Jets did have a 1 yard drive resulting in 7 of those points. Seems like the CB play can be inconsistent but the guys are young so that's to be expected.

I know I'm wrong, but hear me out. For decades, my view on Points Allowed" has been more D friendly than everyone else's.
Any time the opposition gets the ball within the 25 yard line, 3 points is potentially on the O. Thus, if a team gets the ball on Miami's 20, runs three for -4 yards and kicks a FG, that's on the O.
Any time the opposition gets the ball within the 3 yard line, 7 points is potentially on the O.
I count one of the Jets TDs on the O. Yeah, the Jets still scored 21, In their last 4 games, they've scored 17,17,20,20, with a TD against the Pats stolen. Now, that doesn't mean the D is top 5, and, yes, it didn't look good in 1H, but I still like the D. Every D has a bad game. Let's hope this was Miami's "bad" game on D.

let me clarify. I think Moore is an upgrade just because IMHO, the players play harder for him.

It matters, but not as much as the drop off was from losing Tannehill.

Moore IMO makes us Dolphins version 2a.

Cutler version 2b.

Neither are particularly dominant at the position, and both will make you want to slam your head on your coffee table at times....but Cutler just looks sick of playing football for a team that can’t keep him untouched in the pocket.

One thing I'll be curious to see is if the D can continue playing this way if the O starts to put up points.

So often, when a team starts scoring, the D lets up its intensity some. That can't happen with us.

That careless Cutler deflected interception putting the Jets at the doorstep of the end zone really shouldn't be held against the Fins D.

Moore is a likable and respected leader and that translates into emotional motivation for his teammates. I was at a few games after he replaced Henne in 2011 and watching him on the sidelines interacting, encouraging and atta-boying his teammates was a real eye-opener for me. It was a breath of fresh air and after 4+ games of blase Cutler, I expect his personality to have an even greater effect on players who are far superior to the roster that year.

Back
Top Bottom