Dolphins 2012 Offensive Line Projected To Be Ranked 22nd

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Elliott 1, May 11, 2012.

1. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

2. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

22nd?

Not sure I agree with that.

Returning LT, LG, and C. (2 who are Pro Bowl caliber players)

Winner at RG will be just as solid as Carey, and well....... I think my mother could play RT and perform better than Stinkumbo.

3. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

The idea of ranking an O-line is just stupid. A QB that can extend a play or a great runner make an O-line look good.

4. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame Hammered

Welp, I guess we should just fold the franchise, end the season, and send everyone home early.

#NOHOPE

5. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

22 is better then 32.

6. phishinphin

phishinphin Well-Known Member

What a pile of crap! There is NO way this line will be ranked that low. Getting rid of Carey, Columbo and Sparano has to make it better. Long was hurt and out for the last few games, Pouncey received no off season preparation with his line mates. And Sparano was horrible. Our OL regressed during his tenure.

7. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

Interesting points...

Perhaps they start Moore at QB to take the punishment while the OL get on the same page... once so, they then put Tannehill in to reap the benefits.

8. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Healthy Jake Long, getting rid of Colombo will do wonders for this line. There is a 0% chance this offensive line will be as bad, or worse than last year.

9. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Meh, I think it's silly supposition to grade out anyone's line at this point.

10. Kinzua

Kinzua Banned Hammered

Poppycock!!!

This column is a lot of BS! I wouldn't worry about these rankings too much. The author has the Bills ranked #13 which may be where they might be ranked at the end of 2012, but he's basing part of that rank on last season!!! :crazy: Last season, the Bills' OL was horrid at the OTs. Gailey designed a spread offense and had Fitzpatrick using mostly 3 step drops to compensate for the poor OT play. Once teams figured out that the Bills couldn't run slow developing plays or go downfield a lot, the offense got throttled! The Bills could NOT run successfully out of a pro set formation, even on short yardage, because they couldn't open holes for the RBs. They had most of their success running the ball out of spread formations where the interior OLers were good at spreading out defenders.

There was a reason the Bills let Demetress Bell walk and why they spent 3 2012 draft picks on OLers, including 2 OTs.

11. JerseyFinz

JerseyFinz Member

Once martin settles in at RT we will have a solid line.

12. vagrantprodigy

vagrantprodigy A True Fan

I think our Oline will be better than that. Two good tackles, a good center, and huge holes at both guard positions. I hope Garner and Jerry step up and take those positions.

13. itssantos

itssantos Active Member

Bit early for them to be ranking with injuries and changes most likely to be done once all the camps start up. As stated earlier a QB can make or break a line if they have a quick release or if they hold on forever.

14. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

I don't think the giants looked like Superbowl winners on paper...

15. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

None of this pre-season rankings and stuff matter for **** and for us to be ranked 22 is fine, we had one of the worst o-lines in football last years so I dont blame em.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

rankings are so stupid

17. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I disagree. While good QBs make average offensive lines look better, a bad offensive line can significantly limit the play of great QBs. ask Tom Brady how important an offensive line is to QB success. Our offensive line was not good last year. I expect that Martin will improve Moore's performance. Colombo was just awful.

18. Fins4ever13

Fins4ever13 Member

At the very least, our sacks allowed stat will be better without Mark "The human turnstile" Colombo pretending to man the RT spot, and a healthy Jake Long.

19. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Please remember that we have not showed yet that we are any better. The known differences is that we are starting a rookie at RT and a underachieving 3th round player at RG.

Also remember that until training camps all start, we are in a dead zone for reporting. Soon the silly lists will end once real football starts.

20. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

What were we last year? Were we really 32?

21. Elliott 1

I don't know the ranking given by these guys last year, but we did give up over 50 sacks and a truckload of pressures and hurries. I think there were only two teams who gave up more sacks.

Why isn't anybody talking about the Mike Pouncey issue?? If he doesn't doesn't drastically improve his play at center this year, I think it is obvious he needs to play OG.

Ranked 30th in the league in pass blocking???????? Sorry everybody but............. that sucks!! He gave up 21 accumulated pressures compared to Buffalo's Eric Wood's 3.

Obviously Pouncey has talent, but it doesn't take an OL guru to see that center might not be his best position. His snapping isn't that great either.

I think the best thing that could happen to the Dolphin OL would be if they found a better center and let Pouncey move to one of the OG positions.

22. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

It's a work in progress, but could actually be a strength if some things work out. I fully expect Jonathan Martin to be a big upgrade over Marc Columbo at RT. Mike Pouncey looks like he could develop into a pro bowl center and Jake Long is one of the best in the business at LT. The guards are the question marks. Igcognito is a stopgap because he doesn't fit the system, which requires guards to pull. But he's not a bad player. I think John Jerry, if he drops some weight, has the movement skills and physicality to maybe be the answer at RG. This is a make or break year for him. Overall, I'd have to say this unit ends up being in the top half of the league and maybe top 10, especially when you factor in the coaching staff and David Garrard (I believe he wins the qb battle) who is more mobile than Matt Moore.

23. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

And then the asinine reporting replaces the silly lists?

24. luduporcu

luduporcu Banned Hammered

GARRARD is ****: strictly a has-been, and an "aging veteran", and w/a bad back. He's on the team to prevent MIAMI's having to go out and search thru the garbage if MOORE goes down. Personally, if MOORE DID go down, I'd rather take my chances w/TANNEHILL.

As to the O-LINE, the thing they need most is HEALTH. Second is a for-real Coach/coaching. The third has already happened: COLUMBO and CAREY are both gone. I see MURTHA as a VERY solid T, and I have to think that JERRY can handle a G position, since he did well filling in for JAKE at LT. Everyone keeps saying that he has "Tackle's feet", so we'll see. I consider INCOGNITO to be solid, but playing out of position. If you recall, his best positions prior to coming to MIAMI was at RG and C. He moved to LG to allow JERRY (a promising Rookie) to play RG: JERRY had always played on the Right side in college. But NOW, he has actually played, and done pretty well at, LT. So, maybe HE could be MIAMI's LG. I hope so: it would really help.

I'm NOT sold on MARTIN yet. The scouting reports said that he needs to increase his strength, and bulk up a bit. That worries me, because at THIS level, everybody was a BMOC in college. He's not in college anymore, but he's still a "college boy", at least physically. Maybe that's the reason why he fell to the 2nd Round, despite being effective at protecting LUCK.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  25. JCJanko

JCJanko Member

I was going to say the same thing when I saw this thread. Depending on how well your QB is playing (whoever it is) will make or break the o-line.

26. SCall13

SCall13 Finheaven QB

Rankings before the season starts is liking ranking a sexual experience before you even get in the bed.

27. Elliott 1

You know, you Pouncey people seem to be feeding on each others hype.

How does a center who ranked 30th in the league in pass blocking last year look like he is going to be in a pro bowl anytime soon????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes, his twin brother is good, but that has nothing to do with him. The sports world is full of identical twins who don't achieve the same levels as their lives go on.

You guys have nothing but optimism itself to base your claims on.

As of this time; Pouncey is looking more like bust than a pro bowler. Get real!!

28. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Pff is cool to look at but they ranked us top five one year and we finished 7 and 9. So what does that tell you? Pouncey is a very good player as well

29. mpiz305

mpiz305 Member

Haters are gonna hate.

30. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

Too early for this type of ranking.

31. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Because the diffrence between 1st and 30th is 3%.

99 to 96.

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think ideally murtha wins the right tackle job and martin is the 3rd tackle in overload sets and the swing backup tackle while he works on his strength...thats what i'm hoping for to start at least...murtha the starter and martin the swing tackle and brought in for jumbo packages etc...martin MUST get stronger in the upper body

if they do start martin from the jump i don't see any way he could fare any worse than marc colombo did thats for sure...

pouncey "looks like a bust"...lmao...did i really read that...

33. Loy170

Loy170 Member

The biggest question with the line is the guard position. Can the power blocking type guards of the old regime adapt to the new zone blocking scheme? Pouncey at center and Martin at right tackle seem natural fits for it, and Long is talented enough to succeed in whatever style or scheme. Just need to put it all together and get a stable starting five.

34. Elliott 1

Like the facts state: Pouncey was ranked 30th in pass protection last year. He gave up 21 cumulative pressures. Eric Woods in Buffalo gave up 3. That is a huge difference by anybody's standards.

35. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

We will have our best line in 5 years and we are still not ranked high. We need some guards.

36. Delfin 22

Delfin 22 Master of the Force

We will be a top 5 offensive line in this season.... mark my words....
    :420:

37. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

I do think that pouncey needs to add 10 lbs on to be a better center and if you watched him play throughout the year he got better as the season progressed.

Now when you compare him to woods statistic wise you have to take into account that Woods played 9 games and Buffalo guard play is much better then Miami's.Which in turn helps out the centers play.

38. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

People like him dont look into that. He just sees numbers and says.

zOmG Pouncey sukz.

39. JoeRobbie305

JoeRobbie305 Active Member

No way this line is going be ranked in the lower 1/3rd of the league. I think we'll have a top 10 line this year

40. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

wow. forgotten in all this is that pouncey was a rookie and had very little help. why? because everyone had to slide protection to help out carey and columbos crappy *** sorry ****ing excuse for a play. Get real indeed. I suppose at least one person on finheaven loved columbo, because his play brought down the entire offense and gives that person a reason to use a formula... <insert player name> sucks... get real.