Dolphins 2013 Offseason Primer and Free Agency..............Thoughts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 2013 Offseason Primer and Free Agency..............Thoughts?

cleezy13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Notable 2013 Unrestricted Free Agents: QB Matt Moore, RB Reggie Bush, WR Brian Hartline, TE Anthony Fasano, OLT Jake Long,
DT Randy Starks, LCB Sean Smith, FS Chris Clemons

Notable 2014 Unrestricted Free Agents:
WR Davone Bess, LG Richie Incognito, RG John Jerry, DT Paul Soliai, SLB Koa Misi, CB Nolan Carroll, SS Reshad Jones, K Dan Carpenter

Potential 2013 Cap Casualties:
LG Richie Incognito, MLB Karlos Dansby, CB Richard Marshall

Offensive Scheme:
Mike Sherman’s playbook is heavily influenced by the Mike Holmgren West Coast Offense. The standard up-tempo, rhythm passing attack is featured, but Sherman has added a few wrinkles. Sherman employs a zone-blocking scheme, but leans on a power-running game more often than your classic WCO desciple. Sherman is also unafraid to take his fair share of deep shots downfield; an element rarely seen in a standard WCO that makes its living attacking underneath.
In Sherman’s scheme, runners must display a decisive, quick burst through the hole, and possess reliable hands for the passing game. Pristine route-running, short-area quickness, and the ability to get tough yards after the catch are valued traits for a WR in Sherman’s scheme; size and straight-line speed are just gravy. The offensive linemen must be intelligent and stout at the point of attack, yet athletic enough to get out and block at the second level.

Defensive Scheme:
Kevin Coyle cut his schematic teeth under Mike Zimmer and Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, so it comes as no surprise that Coyle’s 4-3/3-4 hybrid closely resembles the Bengals defense. As in Cincinnati, the front seven is comprised of rangy athletes who are flexible enough to vacillate between the 4-3 and 3-4. A massive, run-stopping presence capable of anchoring both sets is critical in Coyle’s scheme. In the secondary, Coyle prefers big, aggressive athletes for his press-zone. The corners should be physical in man-coverage, and intelligent, rangy safeties are required in the two-deep zone.

In the War Room:
On paper, the Miami draft day decision-making unit consists of GM Jeff Ireland, his right-hand man Brian Gaine, and head coach Joe Philbin. However, some would argue that Stephen Ross is the man behind the curtain.
It does seem odd that a whimsical owner like Ross has staunchly defended the embattled Ireland for this long. We’re talking about a guy who wooed Jim Harbaugh while Tony Sparano was still under contract, and scrapped Miami’s beloved old fight song for no apparent reason. Ross is obviously a “change for change’s sake” kinda guy, yet he’s been hesitant to make the one move that ‘Fins fans have clamored for the loudest; to fire Ireland. It’s all pretty fishy…and seems to offer credence to those who suggest that Ireland and Philbin are little more than Ross’ puppets. However, there’s also the possibility that Ross has embraced the idea of stability, for the good of his organization. Time will tell.
As for Ireland’s personnel track record, it’s spotty, but not as awful as some would have you believe. Sure, there have been some draft and free agency whiffs (Pat White, Ernest Wilford, etc.), but you’ll have that. Ireland has also had his wins; Tannehill shows promise. Pouncey was a direct hit in the first round. Odrick and Misi have begun to emerge. Hartline, Clay, Clemons, and R. Jones were nice third-day gets. Bess and Carpenter were UFA gems. Dansby was a solid F.A. signing, and bringing Cameron Wake across the border was an all-time heady move.
Like his mentor, Bill Parcells, Ireland plays it relatively safe on draft day. He fills needs, and when in doubt, he’ll usually address the trenches…Ireland seems to have an affinity for BIG 10 prospects; perhaps another trait inherited from Parcells…Philbin brought the “build through the draft” philosophy with him from Green Bay, and appears to be an important voice in the Miami war room. I don’t expect Miami to be major players in free agency.

2013 NFL Draft Picks:
(9) 1st, 2nd, 2nd (from Colts), 3rd, 3rd (from Bears), 4th, 5th, 6th (from Colts/conditional), 7th

Team Needs:

1. Cornerback
Sean Smith is an enigma. One week, he looks like a potential Pro-Bowler; the next week, he’s getting beat like a rug. Nevertheless, he’s the best that Miami has to offer at CB…and he’s a free agent after this season. I doubt that Miami lets Smith walk, but more is still needed. Richard Marshall is a decent starter, but he’s on the I.R. with a troublesome back injury, and the fact that he’s on his third different team in three seasons doesn’t inspire confidence. Nickel corner Nolan Carroll appears to be in over his head as a starter. Newly acquired Dimitri Patterson is a bum.
Alabama’s Dee Milliner is a big, physical corner custom-built for Coyle’s scheme. Miami would probably have to move up to secure Milliner, making second-day prospects like Oregon State’s Jordan Poyer or Utah State’s Will Davis more realistic options.

2. Wide Receiver
Miami could use a true #1 receiver to complement Brian Hartline and Davone Bess…and that’s assuming that Hartline and Bess are re-signed. A sizeable deep threat is needed to accelerate Ryan Tannehill’s development, so while Greg Jennings’ familiarity with Philbin seems to make him a logical free agency target, I expect Ireland and Co. to get younger and faster at WR via the draft. Tennessee’s explosive Cordarrelle Patterson (think a big Percy Harvin) could be a first round target. The Dolphins may wait until the second round to gamble on the upside of one of Patterson’s former teammates, Justin Hunter, or another ex-Vol, Tennessee Tech’s Da’Rick Rogers.

3. Offensive Tackle
What to do with Jake Long? How the Dolphins ultimately approach the 2013 NFL Draft may hinge on the answer to that question. Should Ireland decide to bite the $15.4 million bullet and Franchise Long, the need for an OT will fall behind the need for a pass-rushing complement to Wake. If Long is allowed to walk, the need for a tackle rockets up the charts.
While Long has declined due to injury, he’s still only 27 years old and a serviceable performer. Letting him walk with no backup plan in place would be risky business. To entrust Jonathan Martin with protecting Tannehill’s blindside would be a monumental leap of faith, and potentially detrimental to the young quarterback’s development. I’m guessing that Long remains in Miami, but if I’m wrong, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dolphins trade into the top three (Jacksonville and/or Oakland could be looking to trade down) to grab Texas A&M’s Luke Joeckel. Mike Sherman is familiar with Joeckel after their days together in College Station. If Long bolts, I have a hunch that (as in the ’12 draft with Ryan Tannehill) Sherman gets in the ear of Jeff Ireland and lobbies for Joeckel.

OTHER FREE AGENCY NOTES:

Miami needs a much more athletic offensive line.
Mike Pouncey is the best center in the NFL, while Jonathan Martin has proven to be serviceable at left tackle. Right tackle still must be addressed (and could be by sliding John Jerry there), but the guard position leaves much to be desired in terms of athleticism.
My solution would be for Miami to sign Andy Levitre, who has been a solid part of Buffalo's offensive line since the Bills drafted him in 2009, and he has never missed a game. The Dolphins could either move him to right guard, or move Richie Incognito to the right guard slot (or better yet, draft another guard).
The better solution would be to move Incognito to the right guard spot because he's actually played that position pretty well in the past. In fact, he only started playing left guard when he signed with the Dolphins.
Signing Levitre also takes one of Buffalo's biggest weapons away from them. He's been a spectacular run blocker who also does well taking care of the quarterback.
If there's anyone on the Dolphins who would be excited to sign Levitre, it would be the Dolphins defensive line, who know very well how difficult it can be to go up against the former Oregon State Beaver.

I've also been pretty high on the possibility of signing Derek Cox of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and for good reason.
Derek Cox is a pretty good cover corner. He finished out the 2012 season with four interceptions, a forced fumble and 60 tackles. You'll notice teams don't pick on him on the basis that he is the Jaguars' best cornerback.
He's also the best cornerback available on the open market, and someone the Dolphins should take a look at.
Signing him to play opposite Sean Smith would improve Miami's secondary. Signing him to replace Sean Smith and play alongside whichever player Miami chooses to draft also improves Miami's secondary.

Jared Cook is a young, strong and athletic tight end who's a bit of a hidden secret in the NFL.
The reason for that? The Titans offensive system, which tends to ignore Cook. In Miami's system he's sure to thrive along side Charles Clay and (if there's anything really in him), Michael Egnew.
Cook ended 2012 with 44 catches for 523 yards and four touchdowns. The number of touchdowns should rise in Miami as Ryan Tannehill could use him as a credible end-zone threat, something that the Titans very rarely use him for.
How could they have a weapon like that and leave him on the shelf? I don't know. But in Miami, he should be a key player ready to jump up to the second echelon of tight ends.

A torn Achilles tendon kept Grimes out for most of the year with the Falcons. However, his body of work up to this season has been a good one, and the injury should make him a bargain.
Grimes will be 30 at the beginning of next season and most likely better suited for a short-term contract that's incentive laden. Prior to his Achilles tendon injury this season, he had recorded 254 tackles and 13 interceptions in five seasons with Atlanta.
It would be an inexpensive gamble for Miami to take, but one that would pay off in 2013.

Jennings is the only player on this list who is still playing as of now, as he's getting ready for the Packers' playoff tilt with the Minnesota Vikings.
Despite that, articles like this get published, titled "More Evidence of Greg Jennings Coming to Miami?" (h/t ESPN.com). What does it say? It contains tweets made by Jenning's sister.
...a family member of Jennings provided further evidence last weekend that Miami could be on the receiver’s radar. Jennings’ sister, Valyencia, reportedly went off on her Twitter account (which is now deleted) a few days ago during Green Bay’s loss to the Minnesota Vikings. The USA Today captured all the tweets.

“Who can make a play @GregJennings can. He’s the best freakin [sic] receiver these clowns got,” Valyencia Jennings tweeted out of frustration. “Now take your talents to south beach and get paid.”

Ouch! But there is more.

“@GregJennings ball out so you can leave this team,” Valyencia Jennings tweeted of the Packers. “They will miss u when your [sic] gone. It’s all good bye Packers. Cheap team, can’t afford him.”

Althoug
h Greg Jennings can’t and won’t say anything about the Dolphins while he is still under contract, you have to think Miami has come up at some point with the Jennings family. Valyencia didn’t just bring up the Dolphins Sunday out of thin air over every other team. Greg Jennings and his family have to be aware of what the Dolphins need, his connection with Philbin and the money Miami is willing to spend. It would make sense for Jennings and the Dolphins to be near the top of each other's offseason wish list.
Of course, I've been beating the drum about Miami going after Jennings throughout the season. The reason why it's so intriguing is simple football. Miami has cap space and a huge need at wide receiver.
Jennings will likely need a new home since the Packers are flush with receivers and will likely spend what money they have elsewhere (like a defense capable of slowing down Adrian Peterson).

Jennings is also familiar with Miami's offensive system since it is the West Coast offense he's been running in Green Bay since his rookie season. His offensive coordinator for most of that time: Joe Philbin, head coach of the Miami Dolphins.
The man who drafted Jennings? Well, it wasn't Mike Sherman (who was fired the season prior to Jennings being drafted by the Packers), but Sherman did scout him out while he was still in Green Bay.
This seems destined to happen, and if it does, it would be a major coup for Miami.

Miami has plenty of needs that signing these free agents (if they do sign them all) will not cover. While I'm sure many of you are wondering where Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe are not on the list, the reason is because Jennings is a better fit for the system in place and will come cheaper than either of those two receivers.
Wouldn't you rather use Wallace and Bowe money on a cornerback and guard that can create big plays on defense and protect Tannehill well on offense and allow him to make big plays?
The other reason is because Miami will be able to find plenty of capable receivers in Round 2 of the draft. Round 1, in my opinion, should be used on either a pass rusher or an offensive lineman.
The draft is where this team will be built, but these five free agents would fit in with the Dolphins very well if they are signed.

I would love the signing of Levitre as well as Jared Cook. Pair that with drafting Dee Milner, if we trade up, or staying put i say draft patterson. 2013 would sureley look a lot more optimistic.

We don't get the Colts' 6th, but we do have an extra 7th from the Cowboys.

I would love to cut Incognito and grab Andy Levitre from Buffalo. The guys is a stud stuck on that garbage team.

No to Grimes. I dont trust anyone who needs to run really fast coming off an Achilles injury.

Also -

Tennessee is likely going to franchise Jared Cook if no agreement is reached. So he's likely gone.

Martellus Bennett is the most likely FA TE if we bring in a big $ guy

interesting read...dansbys not getting cut this offseason...the return on the cap won't offset the player he still is...pencil in dansby as your starting mike in 2013...after this season he's a restructure or cap cut possibility

agreed on the guards must get more athletic...we are way too stiff at left guard especially...we need better athleticism at guard and better feet...

if i'm miami i'm having some convos with reshad jones, nolan carroll, koa misi this offseason about extensions...can probably get them all cheap right now minus reshad jones who's agent would consider a $6 mil per offer but if you wait and he puts up a season again like he did this one next year is gonna be a $8 mil per safety...and in high demand if he hits free agency...he's a candidate for the tag imo if you can't get him signed long term... carrolls a cheap guy now who isn't a slot/nickle guy he's a boundary corner all the way with good quick acceleration and long speed he needs to learn to play the ball more but there's still room for improvement there and he was an improved football player in 2012...misi is probably gonna be looked at as a 2 down solb in a 43 if he hits the market he won't break the bank by any means but i'd look to lock him up cheap now...he's saved his career as a 43 outside backer...suspect in coverage takes false steps against pa for a first year backer he showed well and he'll get better against pa as he gets more comfortable...

i think cutting marshall and using a high pick on a corner is a smart play...incog probably sticks one more year but he's a poor fit for a move scheme and at the latest for me by 2014 he'd be a depth guy or off my roster...

i don't agree with trading up for luke joeckel...i think that's a dumb move and would cost a lot of these top 5 picks in the process...if not picks in the future...he's a great left tackle fit for this scheme but for my money he's not even the best tackle on his college roster jake mathews takes the prize there...i'd be more inclined to move jerry to the right side and use a later pick on a swing tackle that fits the scheme or even offer jake a short term low money deal which if he balked on i'd let him go...guys been hurt and on ir 3 of the last 4 seasons he's not a dependable money investment and frankly played a pretty poor left tackle this season...martin in the finale had some issues on the left side and i don't love his feet for that athletic a position but with an offseason in a strength program to focus on his upper body and hand strength and more reps i think he'll be fine...i also like his attitude...he doesn't carry bad snaps from one to the next with him...he cleans his slate mentally...that's another reason i think he'll stick as a starting tackle long term

also brent grimes may have tore an achilles but he'll still command high corner money on the market...i'm betting atl tries it's damnest to get him signed before free agency...

go get greg jennings use a high pick on a wr that can win physically and in the red and high point the football look for a te in free agency that can stretch the field and sign derek cox...bring back hartline fasano for in line and buy time with chris clemons for one more year all on the relatively cheap

I like what Hoops just posted... OP also had a great write up, I enjoyed reading. Here are my thought in a cliff notes type fashion

our own FA
- Jake Long comes back ony if the price is right. No way we bite the $15.4 million dollar bullet.
- Sean Smith should be offered fair market value. He's inbetween a #2 CB and a #1 on a really weak secondary. I'd value him somewhere between the top 15-20 CB's average salary.

once we know what's going to happen with these two, we can move forward on other free agents and draft plans.

Cuts
- Patterson = GONE
- Incogs needs to restructure or possible cut him
- Carpenter = restructure or cut him, no way should he get $3mill this season

Other FA
- Jennings should be priority number 1
- Cox should at least be contacted and heavly considered if his price isn't crazy as I think Coyle would love to have this guy
- Levitre should be considered here... Incogs is supposed to be getting 5.4mil this year. That's money we shoud cut or restructure & give to Levitre

Draft
- If Jake doesn't come back, I'd riot if we moved up for Joeckel. If we take him at 12, I could live with that
- If we decided Dee Milner in the 1st I don't think we would have to/should move up from 12 for him
- Depending on who we've resigned and signed via FA, I think our top priority is pass rushing DE in the 1st round, You're more likely to score on a solid CB or WR in rounds 2 or 3 then you are stud pass rushing DE
- TE should be addressed in the 2nd round as well, if it hasn't already been in FA.

Great write up, I agree with most of the things said. Here is my tale on our offseason.
I believe we have the inside track on Jennings as well, like you said. If the need is obvious to US as fans, than it is extremely noticeable for Jennings, his family, and most importantly the Dolphins.
I feel if we can lock up Smith or Long to a team friendly deal that is still relatively accurate for their skill level and team need, than we jump it.

Also have the rest of our team locked up to respectable contracts and not create more holes than we already have. You don't solve problems by creating more.

Cap Room 55 mill (Roughly, seen between 40-60 mill on different sources)

Restructure / Extend

Reshad Jones has blossomed into a star in front of our eyes, and he is only getting better. As hoops mentioned earlier, Extending him now on the cheap is a smart move. Restructuring Patterson's gaudy deal gives us room to make this extension with Jones without drastically effecting our cap.

R. Jones : 4 yrs 24 mill - 6 mill cap
D. Patterson : Take paycut or GET cut.
2yrs 2 mill - 1 mill cap

Resign:
Smith : 4 yrs 20 - 5 mill cap
Long : 3 yrs 27mill. - 9 mill cap
Starks : 3 yrs 21 mill. - 7 mill cap
Hartline : 4 yrs 16 mill - 4 mill cap
Clemons : 2 yrs 4 mill - 2 mill cap
Bush : 2 yrs 10 mill - 5 mill cap

Free Agency

There are many different options we can go with FA. We would like to think we will land the top FA at every position of need, but that is not realistic. All 32 teams are looking to improve, not just the Dolphins. And as much as our organization is on the rise, many FA's will still be attracted to Top Notch Contenders. So here is my realistic list of FAs.

Greg Jennings
It seems like a match made in heaven. The Dolphins are looking for a playmaker at WR that won't break the bank as much as Wallace, they are looking for someone who can not only come in and produce but is also a high character man who can mentor the other WRs.
As fans we tend to be blinded by just the sport, but we must remember that these are regular people as well,not just tv figures. The organization is looking for someone who fits their system ON and OFF the field. And Jennings is that.

Jennings : 3 yrs 24 mill - 8 mill cap

Martellus Bennett - A physical specimen who seems to need a new scene to thrive the way he should, while using his god given ability to his advantage. He also was scouted and drafted by Ireland when they were in Dallas. With J. Cook and D. Keller hitting the market, he won't be as pricey.

M. Bennett - 2 yrs 4 mill - 2 mill cap

That puts us at $49 mill cap, with 6 mill left for rookies

Draft :
1) B. Mingo DE/OLB LSU (With the rise of other DE's in the draft, he may just fall in our laps. One of the most explosive, yet raw players in the draft. Lining up opposite Wake, this puts us in a great position for our front 7

2a) J. Cooper OG UNC (This guy is an absolute BEAST in the trenches and will be a great fit in our zone blocking scheme. Great feet and strength at the POA)

2b) DeAndre Hopkins (I really want to go for R. Woods or J. Hunter here because I feel as though they will be here with this pick, but their injuries concern me. Hopkins looked amazing vs LSU and not only runs crisp routes, but takes the top off of defenses. Something Ireland has been looking for in his WRs.

3a) David Amerson CB/S NC State (This NC State product plays a physical game, just the way Coyle likes his CBs. He has gotten beat his share of times, but it has been because of mental errors, not physical ability. If Coyle can coach him up, he can be one heck of a player)

3b) Bacarri Rambo FS/SS Georgia (Former Teammate of R. Jones and playmaking safety out of Georgia drops this far because of attitude, something that can be fixed and controlled by this staff and former teammate Jones. This guy has crazy range, great Ball skills and can lay the lumber when needed. Having him develop and having Jones paired with him will make this secondary deadly)

4) Lerentee McCray OLB UF (STRENGTHS: Athletic looking frame with thick lower half, and long, muscular arms. Exhibits good top-end speed and acceleration in space. Displays strong punch and ability to generate a bull rush when he establishes low position/leverage. Will spread out and cover the slot from time to time, and possesses fluid backpedal in space. Possesses active hands on contact and flashes good use of long arms to swim back inside as a rusher. Plays with some physicality and is tough to push back at the line. Persistent worker on the field who plays with energy and aggression. CBS Sports Overview)

5) Josh Boyce WR TCU (5'11" WR who has crisp routes and game breaking speed, good hands and comes through in the clutch, needs to refine mental aspect of game)

6) Tyrann Mathieu CB ex-LSU (Formerly the Honeybadger, this playmaking CB is all over the field. Sometimes overrated, he has been beaten in coverage. But with a late round flyer, the upside is way too high for us to pass up. If this kid straightens out his off the field issues, than he will be a starter in the NFL.)

7a) Braden Brown OT BYU (
STRENGTHS: Long, athletic-looking frame with ideal size to play tackle at the next level. Routinely comes off the line with a flat back and consistent pad levels. Displays impressive punch in pass protection when able to get his arms extended.

He needs work, but if he built up strength he can be a serviceable backup OT.

7b) Joseph Fauria TE UCLA (This guy is a 6'7" 250 freak of nature built in TE Gronkowski/Vernon Davis mold. Injuries have plagued him his entire career and his blocking needs work. But with his 4.58 speed and soft hands, he is a project I believe could pan out into a good seam TE.

Tell me what you guys think! Love the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love the signing of Levitre as well as Jared Cook. Pair that with drafting Dee Milner, if we trade up, or staying put i say draft patterson. 2013 would sureley look a lot more optimistic.

No way we draft Dee Milner. He will be gone probably in the top 5 picks and it doesn't do any good to have all of these extra 2nd and 3rds to invest multiple picks in one player when we have so many needs. Draft best Pass rusher, Tight End, or receiver with our number 12 pick. Draft the other positions with the 4 remaining picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Don't take another lineman at number 12. Take a player that scores touchdowns or sacks the QB. Get a cornerback in Free agency and another one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It's all about offense these days. They have neutered the defenses to the point that even the best defenses such as San Francisco and Baltimore can't really stop the best offenses. They all get lit up regardless of the players they have by the best offenses. Look what happened to Seattle. They've tilted the game so that Defense is less impactful. They did that when they introduced the Illegal contact rule, the helmet to helmet rules, the increased pass interference and roughing the passer calls makes the defense much less effective than it was in previous seasons.

Defending the pass is hard with a DB when you're more likely to get a PI call vs make a real play, but if you can get pressure on the QB, then that is still an area where a defense can get off the field on 3rd down more than the chances of relying on a big play in your secondary regardless of who your dbs are. However, I hope we draft mostly players that score touchdowns. Did you count how many weapons Tom Brady has on his roster? He's got like 9 solid play making weapons to go to. How many do we have? We can grab some more Olinemen later in the draft and possibly in free agency. We need to build a powerful offense that can score points otherwise we have no chance of sustaining consistent winning and playoff seasons in this new NFL.

Wake up Front office!!!

I'm not bringing back Smith--too inconsistent. Over pursues constantly and misses the tackle, and misses the tackle in general.
Bush $5, Hartline $4.5, and Clemons $2. That's all I'm bringing back.

Cut Ingonito and Carpenter

Sign
Cox $5 million a year, Jennings $8mill, Levitre $6 mill a year, Kruger $4.5mill , Ed Reed $3-1 year (almost every need filled...besides TE).

Draft:
Johnathan Banks-CB
Dallas Thomas? OL
Robert Woods WR
Reed TE
Best DE available

Back
Top Bottom