Dolphins 2017 schedule was 3rd hardest. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 2017 schedule was 3rd hardest.

McMichael

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
In the entire nfl, based off how the teams finished in the regular season.

Ive been a fan for almost 25 years now and Im used to the negative outlook year after year, but when you add in the fact that we lost our starting QB before game 1, this year we really do have legitimate excuses after a 10-6 record last year with a rookie head coach who is clearly still learning on the job.

Losing your starting QB is such a big deal in the NFL that I dont even need to mention the rest of the nonsense both uncontrollable and otherwise that went on this year..but it was bad. I honestly still think that with Tannehill starting all 16 games this year we would have went 9-7 at worst which isnt bad against that schedule.

Anyway happy new year to all here! This team is better than 6-10 we will prove it in 2018!

And there is the issue. We should have had a replacement for Tannehill, in the offseason. Miami needs a different approach than the one that has them always sitting oj their hands

And there is the issue. We should have had a replacement for Tannehill, in the offseason. Miami needs a different approach than the one that has them always sitting oj their hands
I think we have to stop with the narrative that we could have had a replacement waiting in the wings in case Tannehill goes down who would have saved the season. There’s only two handful of good to great QBs in the NFL, Tannehill being one of them, and those guys are hard to replace.

Having said that, I don’t accept the schedule excuse. The Patriots had an nearly identical schedule, except we played the Titans and Ravens, they played the Texans (when Watson was still playing) and Steelers. And they won 7 more games than us.

Please stop with the excuses...good teams play hard and play to win by executing and being disciplined enough to not shoot themselves in the foot on a wekly basis...even teams less talented (?) at least play like they know the game and want to win...Cardinals, Browns, Titans and Bengals come to mind as teams with everything going against them but they still look competitive and look like they give a crap about winning on a weekly basis...

Somehow our team has lost any identity that would make anyone watching believe they play to win as a team....they have no heart...they have no fight....so blame whoever you think is responsible for that lack of want to and passion and resolve to overcome (or at least do your best to overcome) those characteristics that are so obvious on our team.....but the strength of schedule, the Ref's, the weather....please stop....It's the TEAM that can't overcome the issues not the issues themselves....the obstacles are there for every team....they may be a symptom but they are NOT the root cause of this franchise IMO

You don't need a "replacement" for Tannehill on the team. Miami needs Tannehill healthy and a back-up that is being groomed to play if RT is injured for a game or two. Train the back-up and trade him away. If the franchise guy goes down the season is done, play through it the best ya can and move on to next year. The idea that you have two franchise QB's on the team so the first can get injured is ridiculous.

Losing you starting QB can have a devastating on any team, just look at Green Bay and the Eagles. But my problem is not so much that we lost our starting QB, my problem is that too many of us have this notion that Tannehill is the savior and once he returns everything will be right with the world again. I heard Ross last night talking about how difficult it is to overcome losing your starting QB and so on, this team has decided to pin its hopes on Tannehill and I find that approach dangerous, not from the standpoint of his injury but from his play as a whole. I am not convinced that he is the answer, he has much to prove next season. This in not an indictment on Tannehill by any means, just be cautiously optimistic when he does finally step back on the field.

Please stop with the excuses...good teams play hard and play to win by executing and being disciplined enough to not shoot themselves in the foot on a wekly basis...even teams less talented (?) at least play like they know the game and want to win...Cardinals, Browns, Titans and Bengals come to mind as teams with everything going against them but they still look competitive and look like they give a crap about winning on a weekly basis...

Somehow our team has lost any identity that would make anyone watching believe they play to win as a team....they have no heart...they have no fight....so blame whoever you think is responsible for that lack of want to and passion and resolve to overcome (or at least do your best to overcome) those characteristics that are so obvious on our team.....but the strength of schedule, the Ref's, the weather....please stop....It's the TEAM that can't overcome the issues not the issues themselves....the obstacles are there for every team....they may be a symptom but they are NOT the root cause of this franchise IMO

Wait, so you think the team that just went 0-16 has more fight and is more fun to watch?

Wait, so you think the team that just went 0-16 has more fight and is more fun to watch?
For some unknown I got a couple of Brown's games. Those incredibly overmatched players did not quit on Hue. Maybe they knew with all those draft picks everybody's job safety was up in the air. The Browns did fight the Steelers all the way to 0-16. They did fight.

Of the 16 games 10 were against eventual playoff teams. That’s pretty tough. We went 4-6 against the playoff teams.

You don't need a "replacement" for Tannehill on the team. Miami needs Tannehill healthy and a back-up that is being groomed to play if RT is injured for a game or two. Train the back-up and trade him away. If the franchise guy goes down the season is done, play through it the best ya can and move on to next year. The idea that you have two franchise QB's on the team so the first can get injured is ridiculous.

If we draft a quarterback in the first round, I won't be terribly upset -- depending on who it is -- because that can actually be a good problem to have. Look at what happened to the Chargers a number of years ago when they had Drew Brees as their starter (before he really exploded) and then drafted Philip Rivers. When Brees' shoulder got hurt, the Chargers were able to let him enter free agency and had Rivers just sitting there. If Mayfield or Rosen fall to us and Adam Gase thinks they can run this very complex offense? Draft them.

With that said, LINEBACKER IN THE FIRST ROUND, PLEASE.

If we draft a quarterback in the first round, I won't be terribly upset -- depending on who it is -- because that can actually be a good problem to have. Look at what happened to the Chargers a number of years ago when they had Drew Brees as their starter (before he really exploded) and then drafted Philip Rivers. When Brees' shoulder got hurt, the Chargers were able to let him enter free agency and had Rivers just sitting there. If Mayfield or Rosen fall to us and Adam Gase thinks they can run this very complex offense? Draft them.

With that said, LINEBACKER IN THE FIRST ROUND, PLEASE.
I think there's only ONE LB worth taking at 11 and he could be gone but if he's there then you have to consider taking him

Ozzy rules!!

Hard to have a top notch winning NFL QB waiting in the wings when there are really only about 12-15 of those guys in the world at any given time, and they are generally all under contract somewhere. What was dumb was investing $10 million in Cutler when losing was more or less inevitable once Tannehill went down.

I think watching a team that is playing hard and playing to win, regardless of the outcome, is better to watch than a team that is inconsistent, lethargic and prone to penalties and childish emotional breakdowns on any (or every) given week...if that answers your question...of course IMO

For example...watching the Browns take it to and almost win against the Steelers was far more entertaining to me than watching the Dolphins inability to contain a mobile QB and shooting themselves in the foot with pre-snap penalties...not to mention getting two of the players, that we depend on for any type of hope to win, ejected when the sloppy "playing down to your opponent game" was on the line and a win against a divisional opponent and a chance to bump them from the playoffs was on the line....

The TEAM failed miserably to command any respect ....the win loss record that you mention has nothing to do with my point....this TEAM is not fun to watch...IMO

I think I get what some are saying, but I feel the OP makes a good point. WITHOUT all the other crap, the starting QB going out for the year would be tough to insurmountable for a lot of teams. Anybody think Green Bay was fun to watch with out Rodgers?

I think we have to stop with the narrative that we could have had a replacement waiting in the wings in case Tannehill goes down who would have saved the season. There’s only two handful of good to great QBs in the NFL, Tannehill being one of them, and those guys are hard to replace.

Having said that, I don’t accept the schedule excuse. The Patriots had an nearly identical schedule, except we played the Titans and Ravens, they played the Texans (when Watson was still playing) and Steelers. And they won 7 more games than us.
He had a torn acl and would have missed the entire year. No brainer

Back
Top Bottom