Dolphins’ Allen thinks battle for starting free safety job will make everyone better | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Allen thinks battle for starting free safety job will make everyone better

He's glad to be back home, 45min from home. Expects to compete for starting Free Safety, likes competition. Oakland: good exp. good team in secondary. Feels he is wiser/experienced and has picked up much from different perspectives... being older he has to use that experience to benefit him. R.Jones - develop chemistry with each other at this time of the year.

I'm iffy on Allen.. Maybe we get very lucky and a guy like hendy(?) steps up or and UDFA.

I think TJ McDonald will end up winning this competition outright, but we'll need Allen to be good for 8 games, so more power to him

Warning. This article is an Omar Kelly article. It doesn't really tell us anything knew, but there is a short video of his interview with Nate Allen, so you do get to hear him speak. Seems like a nice level headed guy. He knows nothing will be handed to him and he expects to compete for a spot.

Personally, he is the biggest unknown quantity for me. He has shown some ability physically, and if he can harness that consistently he can be a competent FS, which is a position of need for us. Since our system is very forgiving and protective of DB's, he could do a decent job. But he will have to make his presence felt from sure tackling and ballhawking more than he has in the past. He is not the box safety or enforcer that TJ McDonald is, so it will be Allen's versatility that will win him the starting job if all 3 are healthy and eligible. Realistically, it is unlikely that all 3 will be healthy and eligible at the same time for very many games to even make this an issue.

I look forward to him showing us what he's got. He was raised an hour and a half from Miami, so he's in his element. Hopefully it brings out the best in him.

Who knew that competition brings out the best in everyone..?.Maybe he could be the next guest speaker for the Democratic National Convention!!!

Allen will have to play the best ball of his career thru 8 games knowing that TJ will be back. I don't know a lot about Nate, but being a big USC fan, I do know a lot about TJ. He's going to help this team, you watch.

Here's hoping we can play a lot of 2 deep and cover 2 those final 8 weeks of the season.

Well 2 guys coming off injuries and another off his second drug suspension that will be our starting safties this year is what I am reading. I would prefer to read about some new young blood. We have returning Lucas, Aikens, Thomas and Hendry that I know of to choose from and the college udfa Smith. Any others and opinions on if these guys can make the grade.

1piqbm.jpg

Article from the end of last season....(RE: in relief of Karl Joseph). I believe Nate played SS in the last 4 games with Reggie Nelson as the FS as well as playing special teams.

Allen has been extremely productive and vital in starting the last three weeks. The 29-year-old veteran was on the field for every defensive snap in Week 16 against the Indianapolis Colts. In his three games played he’s averaging 8.3 tackles per game to Joseph’s five tackles per game. Allen has also been a bit of a ball-hawk in notching two interceptions to Joseph’s one. Finally, he’s doubling Joseph’s passes defended rate per game as Allen is averaging one per game to Joseph’s .5.

Article from the end of last season....(RE: in relief of Karl Joseph). I believe Nate played SS in the last 4 games with Reggie Nelson as the FS as well as playing special teams.

Allen has been extremely productive and vital in starting the last three weeks. The 29-year-old veteran was on the field for every defensive snap in Week 16 against the Indianapolis Colts. In his three games played he’s averaging 8.3 tackles per game to Joseph’s five tackles per game. Allen has also been a bit of a ball-hawk in notching two interceptions to Joseph’s one. Finally, he’s doubling Joseph’s passes defended rate per game as Allen is averaging one per game to Joseph’s .5.

Encouraging. We just need him to be average and we are ok

Back
Top Bottom