Dolphins begin preliminary talks about a contract extension with WR Brian Hartline | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins begin preliminary talks about a contract extension with WR Brian Hartline

Talk about buying high. Hey Jeff, this is something that maybe you should have done earlier.

Pay the man. We don't need a repeat of the Wes Welker Giveaway.

i can only imagine what he thinks he's worth right now coming off beating up on bad cornerbacks...can only imagine...they better be careful with this contract

i can only imagine what he thinks he's worth right now coming off beating up on bad cornerbacks...can only imagine...they better be careful with this contract

Relax. Ireland knows what he is doing. There has to be a scale based on how many tricks the players mother may have turned. The contract will be right.

One thing I'll give Dawn Aponte and Ireland credit for is they dont hand out ridiculous contracts.

we'll see how right it is...i'd like to see the guy make more plays though against legit nfl corners if we are gonna pay him legit money...and that game against cro who is hot and cold for the most part hartline was shut down...that said i'd be ok with a $4 mil per deal...he's earned that...you get much above $5 mil though cause he's killing bad football players and i don't think it's a smart investment...i'd rather put that kind of money towards a legit guy...if it gets much north of $5 mil per

Talk about buying high. Hey Jeff, this is something that maybe you should have done earlier.
:lol: Word. You're not in the strongest negotiating position when the player you want to extend just had a 250 yard receiving game...

:lol: Word. You're not in the strongest negotiating position when the player you want to extend just had a 250 yard receiving game...
Ya but it is not like they are signing papers tomorrow or anything, they will take their time.

Ya but it is not like they are signing papers tomorrow or anything, they will take their time.
True, but if this is the starting point that's being established, the field is tilted heavily in Hartline's favor.

To be fair, he hasnt had any great years statistically so far. He was injured during preseason. A new offense was coming in. Dont you think they probably would like to see how he is going to fit in before talking extension with him?

Now it appears Hartline will be an important part of our offense for years to come. So why not try and work out a deal now? You would agree that it wouldnt have made sense to give him an extension at the end of last season or while he was nursing an injury in preseason. Also, he may continue to put up huge numbers and be in an even stronger negotiating position later in the year.

Working on something right now since we have figured out he is a good fit with Philbin's system is likely a good idea.

Agreed. If the coaching staff believes that his performance here hasn't been an aberration and that he can continue to be a solid contributor in the future, then it only makes sense to lock him up.

I believe they actually opened discussions with him in the offseason, and then he had that injury that was nagging him for the entire training camp.

if hartline signs any extension in season you can bet it will be for what the team will consider a homefield discount...my guess though is off his hot start that hartline is gonna want to bet on himself and see what free agency has to offer unless we exceed expectations...and by exceed expectations we come to him with some $6 mil per number or something in that range...they go to him with that and if he's smart he thinks long and hard about it...cause while teams may covet him off what he's done to date they are also gonna look at who it was against...and he's beat up on bad boundary corners starting for one reason or another...william gays not good and the oakland two corners he torched were awful...the jackson kid looks to be solid in houston and he had his moments when he did get run in that one against him...but this guy does not offer much rac and that's a big part of this offense...save for the 80 yard td where the safety went with bess giving him a clear path pretty much to the endzone vs zona

To be fair, he hasnt had any great years statistically so far. He was injured during preseason. A new offense was coming in. Dont you think they probably would like to see how he is going to fit in before talking extension with him?

Now it appears Hartline will be an important part of our offense for years to come. So why not try and work out a deal now? You would agree that it wouldnt have made sense to give him an extension at the end of last season or while he was nursing an injury in preseason. Also, he may continue to put up huge numbers and be in an even stronger negotiating position later in the year.

Working on something right now since we have figured out he is a good fit with Philbin's system is likely a good idea.
The timing is funny. That's it.

I'm happy we're extending him and by the time negotiations are complete the $ figures will normalize. As long as the money isn't crazy, it'd be great to have Hartline locked up. It just seems really funny to me that right after a franchise record 250 yard explosion we immediately start up negotiations.

Back
Top Bottom