Dolphins begin preliminary talks about a contract extension with WR Brian Hartline | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins begin preliminary talks about a contract extension with WR Brian Hartline

True, but if this is the starting point that's being established, the field is tilted heavily in Hartline's favor.

Maybe it's a motivational tactic to see if he continues this level of production with the carrot dangling in front of him.

This will be interesting. Do Hartline and his agent believe he deserves a #1 wideout contract? Do Hartline and his agent believe he will continue to have the year he is having? If yes, then they may bide their time. As Hartline gets closer to 1000+ yards, his price goes up. If he finishes the season with 1,200+ yards and there is no contract done, what will be his demands then?

How much do you guys want to pay Hartline? $4M/yr? $6M/yr? More? Is he worth that to you?

It's a tough call for me. On the one hand, I believe that many receivers in the NFL can put up the yards if they are given the role of the #1 WR (e.g. first read on majority of plays, large share of targets, etc.), and that production from opportunity doesn't necessarily warrant "#1 WR money." On the other hand, Hartline has some intangibles that you don't find often in the WR position - namely, intelligence & appreciation/study of the game, as well as what I sense to be some loyalty to the Dolphins. I'm hoping he and his agent are reasonable about their demands and not looking for the biggest payday possible.

It's kind of like Sean Smith - ok, you've been here for a few years, been pretty darn mediocre, and now you're starting to show signs of breaking out, possibly. That shouldn't make you one of the top paid corners.

if hartlines looking for true #1 wr money which comes in in the $10 mil range per i can tell ya right now we don't want to go there...that's not a wise money investment...if you went to him with say 4 years $20 mil $8 mil guaranteed right now my guess is he'd take it...that's pretty fair for both sides...

We lost Welker I do not want to lose Hartline. Pay the man.

Hartline will not make #1 money. If I am this FO, Hartline has elevated to the #2 receiver role. If another stud receiver is brought in, Hartline is an incredible asset. Hartline will not make $10 million a year. If I head to guess, it would be around the 5-year, $25 million to $30 million range.

The rapport, timing, and everything Hartline has built with Tannehill this early is incredible. Hartline is a master at running routes and with the timing that he and Tannehill have already shown, it's going to be really hard to stop this combination.

It is clear, to me, that Hartline and Bess are in the blueprints moving forward. If an option like Greg Jennings becomes available in free agency next season, pull the trigger. If another stud receiver is there when we pick in the first round, we should also pull the trigger.

Building this foundation around Tannehill is a must RIGHT NOW. We need to give this kid every opportunity to succeed. We need to give him as many weapons as we possibly can.

Alright, so sounds like you guys are thinking $5M/yr. Where would you draw the line?

To be fair, he hasnt had any great years statistically so far. He was injured during preseason. A new offense was coming in. Dont you think they probably would like to see how he is going to fit in before talking extension with him?

Now it appears Hartline will be an important part of our offense for years to come. So why not try and work out a deal now? You would agree that it wouldnt have made sense to give him an extension at the end of last season or while he was nursing an injury in preseason. Also, he may continue to put up huge numbers and be in an even stronger negotiating position later in the year.

Working on something right now since we have figured out he is a good fit with Philbin's system is likely a good idea.

If you wait and see how a guy performs couldn't just anybody be a talent evaluator? His job is to evaluate talent and make educated guesses on how they'll perform in this or that system, I realize its a difficult job and nobody can be right 100% of the time but thats why we pay this guy millions of dollars a year.

Or am I way off base here?

Talk about buying high. Hey Jeff, this is something that maybe you should have done earlier.

Go back and read posts from the preseason. Most on here wanted Hartline cut now they can blame Ireland for late talks on a contract extension.

With a #1 WR, Hartline at #2, Bess at #3......This will be a juggernaut WR corps, instantly! The key being a true #1 though. I.E. Bowe, Wallace or Jennings. Pay the man!

You guys need to relax. Hartline's not going anywhere. You think he's going to jump ship after he finally has a QB that trusts him and is getting him the ball? After 3 years of not doing much in the passing game I'm sure he realizes that this team and this QB is his best spot. I was also listening to Drew Rosenhaus talk about it on WQAM yesterday and he said that Brian absolutely loves it here, he loves the new coaching staff and he's building a strong relationship with Tannehill. Hartline isn't going to throw that all away and I don't expect that Hartline would have a big market even if he were to test free agency. No one is going to play top dollar for a WR that doesn't have elite anything...no elite speed, no elite size, no elite strength...Hartline is a very good route runner and he rarely drops passes and that's what he brings to the table. He's not a red zone threat, he's not a big YAC guy (one game doesn't erase the 3 previous years) and he doesn't win contested balls on a consistent basis. He's one piece of a WR corp that needs more help...he's someone you add to but he's not the cornerstone of a WR corp.

And before you homers say he is a cornerstone I will tell you that a cornerstone is someone like Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White and A.J. Green don't even say Hartline is in the same category as these guys.

glad they're starting talks...I bet that's another reason they finally signed Gaffney...because they realized if Tanny doesn't have more targets to spread the ball too Hartline's value will be inflated...as long as they wait a couple weeks to sign em I think this is good...I just don't think it'd be smart to sign him the week after his highest ever output

he's actually worth less now then if we wait till the end of the season

glad they're starting talks...I bet that's another reason they finally signed Gaffney...because they realized if Tanny doesn't have more targets to spread the ball too Hartline's value will be inflated...as long as they wait a couple weeks to sign em I think this is good...I just don't think it'd be smart to sign him the week after his highest ever output
Really? That was a reason for signing Gaffney? So Hartline's value doesn't go up? It has nothing to do with the fact our 3rd WRs have a combined 3 catches for 31 yards...3 drops and a fumble. C'mon, really?

i would draw the line at $5 mil per...anything more than that and imo i'd rather just go out and get a true win wr on the outside against high end nfl corners...heck we need that still no matter what hartlines contract comes in at...but i wouldn't pay more than $5 mil per to retain hartlines services...

Back
Top Bottom