Dolphins C Mike Pouncey could miss entire preseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 19, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

2. bigchub22

bigchub22 Starter

As precaution or because he wont be healthy enough yet? Thats the question.

Crzynick25 likes this.
  3. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I am sick and tired of Pouncey and his injuries every season. Can't count on him when he spends all his time in the training room.

4. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

It's really time to move away from him. Here is hoping for a clean break next season no pun intended

gfish24, uk_dolfan, fininpsl and 7 others like this.
  5. lotion

lotion Jane Gum

Good that we got Steen some reps last year. Pouncey is walking with a cane, that's kind of a problem.

dolpns13 likes this.
  6. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Much ado about nothing. The Herald says the Dolphins might sit Pouncey through preseason and the next thing all hell breaks loose. Gase said the team might not play Pouncey in preseason and sit him in some regular seasons practices to try to get him to play in all 16 games. The starters play 4 or 5 preseason quarters, I'm not sweaating if Pouncey sits out those quarters to stay healthy. If there's a story saying he's expected to be injured through the season openner then I'll get concerned. They said earlier Poncey with the cane was due more to the treatment and rehap procedure than to any type of set back. We'll have a better idea of where he's at come August.

biggfish72 and Pandarilla like this.
  7. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

If we're^ being realistic, there is little chance he makes it through the season. With that said, we really didn't have much choice but to hope for the best with him this season. His contract isn't conducive to cutting him this past offseason so we were going to run with him regardless. Barring some miracle where he plays 14+ games next season, he is absolutely getting cut before 2018.

8. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Pouncey is going to end up on IR half way through the season again anyway. He's as durable as a fricken toothpick. Time to move on from these injury prone players and get some players we can count on week in and week out.

9. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Sign mangold now, even if he is a shell of himself.... steen was outmatched when playing center

Maybe Larsen or urbik?

Pouncey... like when he plays but it's time to move on

10. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

We need another center.

tazthenomad and gofins60 like this.
  11. Martel13

Martel13 Since '84 Super Donator

This guy is a wrap. We need to move one from him

gofins60 likes this.
  12. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I'm personally hoping that he's just done and either Steen or Urbik steps in nicely and plays well. I just don't see Pouncey being able to be effective anymore with his hips.

gofins60 likes this.
  13. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

Would have been nice if they figured this out before the draft.

gofins60 and miamiron like this.
  14. mwestberry

mwestberry Well-Known Member

Pouncey is our best option at center right now...resting him in the preseason is no big deal to me..IF he can stay healthy this year our run game will dominate...and WHEN that happens our receivers will be hard to stop....we need reps for our back ups anyway...and we need to be as vanilla as possible in the preseason...because when this offense hits the field for real...we will start strong and fast...starting out 6-2 in the first 8 will go a long way down the stretch

15. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Sorry, I'm no doctor, but how do you go from walking with a cane, to playing in the NFL within 3 months. Not possible...if Gase didn't love him so much, he'd be gone....

He should retire honestly.

16. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Dude's turning into another Jake Long for us. :facepalm

17. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

IMG_4817.PNG Not that Im not as concerned as others about how much he can play, but todays update.

18. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

I've known people who were sore right after a proceedure and were on crutches or a cane one day and two weeks later were walking normal. Remember Pouncey wasn't just using a cane because he re-injured the hip, it was because he just had a steem cell proceedure. it's not like he was walking with a cane prior. It's like freaking out if we saw a picture of a player using crutches the day after he had debris removed from a knee. That doesn't mean he'll still be on crutches 3 months down the road. I just think it's too early to worry about it. If this was August it would be a different story.

coalesce likes this.
  19. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

Dude is trending toward MISI status.

20. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

Soon his value will be nothing and the whole thing will be a total loss. Should've got something for him when there was something to get.

A few decades of inconsistent interior line play and they address the problem with a journeyman and a 5th round pick. What could possibly go wrong?

21. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Everyone seems to be panicking about Pouncey. He is the O-line leader and one of the most important players on the team. Before over-reacting and jumping off the cliff, let's see what condition Big Mike's in at Training Camp. Every senior person in the entire organization knows how important Pouncey is to the team, especially Coach Gase. Tannenbaum drafted Mangold and presumably knows him very well. If Mike doesn't feel the need to spend big $ on Mangold or draft a highly touted Center, then he's probably pretty comfortable with Pouncey and the backup players we've got.

tay0365 and Fin Thirteen like this.
  22. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

lol thought this said: " pouncey could miss entire season".

Travis34 and Blackcreekbandit like this.
  23. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

But that's kind of the problem. Every season they tell us not to jump off a cliff over the questions on the oline and then a few games in and we all realize we should've already jumped off the cliff.

Travis34 and kcbrown like this.
  24. Digital

Digital Starter

Well the Gase statements that make this a news item came from a while back, and this was already discussed in depth. Conceptually, I am OK with it, because if the guy can come in and play like he did in his limited time last year, we'd all love to have that for 16+ games. But the reality is that this is indicative of a larger more systemic problem. If Pouncey isn't able to be a fully functioning member of our team, he simply isn't worth the salary.

Now, I'm not for ditching him and eating dead cap when we don't have a replacement and still need another guard plus possibly a RT if we don't re-sign James. That's just reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic if we go into another offseason needing 3 more OL. But, this is probably the last season for at least one of Bushrod, James and Pouncey. I'd say one or two of them is jettisoned after this year barring a strong and healthy showing this year.

25. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

A guy just stepped out of a time machine next to me on the street. He told me to tell you all that Mike Pouncey will miss most of this season. And every other season. He didn't specify whether this was because Pouncey was injured or in prison, but his look said "if you can't tell, it doesn't matter."

Also apparently Jeff Ireland dies from excessive consumption of bull semen and vitamin C. Not passing judgement, I'm just relaying what the guy said.

Austin Tatious and Pandarilla like this.
  26. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Hips don't lie...Poun-ceya, Poun-cee-yah!!!

27. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

We already knew this, right? Gase mentioned it a while ago. It's nothing new.

28. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Everything I said about him is playing out 100 percent like it was laid out.

Where are all those people who mocked me and whistled past the graveyard, claiming that "Pouncey would be fine, because front office knows way more than you, etc." and, "You don't even have the right Pouncey brother."

Right.

Enjoy another year of fantastically underwhelming play by a player who can't condition or build his base or core, and can't practice full out, and will stumble out for game time and magically get pushed around -- even worse than the last time he missed most the offseason.

Unicorn Pouncey of five years ago is a myth.

The Pouncey taking up a roster spot with a fat salary and big rep -- the now Pouncey -- cannot be counted on without being a liability. The center of Miami's line is the weakest link. Right where championship teams are strongest.

LD

Sons Of Shula and Pandarilla like this.
  29. psfign

psfign A True Fan

This is exactly why we're overreacting. Too much of a pattern.

30. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Let me guess, you're from the future... Jeff "Red Bull" Ireland, lol Walrus.

The one thing you're missing is that Pouncey's using stem cells. If they work, he'll be like new. However, they have to withstand Pouncey's ***. I'm guessing even Lemmiwinks would cringe at that proposition.

insomnia411 and LDaniel7 like this.
  31. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

I think you guys are giving this article too much attention. Gase has said in his pressers that he already knows what he is getting with pounce an doesn't need him to over work himself with unnecessary practice. I agree he is injury prone and therefore imo overpaid. But this is also a good thing giving our back up(who will probably end up starting at some point) more reps. Those reps are more valuable to steen and company than they will be to probowl pouncey

fishfanmiami likes this.
  32. Ren

Ren Rookie

So much knee-jerk over-reaction in this thread

tay0365 likes this.
  33. LDaniel7

That's some quality crap-posting right there, lol. :biggrin

Buy that man another of what he's drinking, lol.

LD

Pandarilla likes this.
  34. LDaniel7

That's just the point that some of us have been making: IF Pouncey can't *overwork* without messing up his fragile, degenerative, surgically-stem-cell patched up hip, how in the world is he going to be game ready -- either in conditioning or core strength? Did anyone watch him play the year before last when he tip-toed his way through off-season, camps and practices? Put that on rewind and then put it on steroids.

How anyone in their right mind can think that someone in football's trenches can pussyfoot through off-season and in season training, and step up and play at a high level -- well, it's beyond me.

LD

Avigatorx and kcbrown like this.
  35. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

Irony is a funny thing. One day, you're supporting Aaron Hernandez. The next day, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Pandarilla likes this.
  36. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I wouldn't let him play in the pre season if he was healthy. That being said, I don't expect to get 8 games from Pouncey. It seams to me Gase doesn't really value the interior of the OL.

37. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Pandarilla likes this.
  38. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

Good decision

fishfanmiami and HeavenCent like this.
  39. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

This isn't news. Gase said this like 2 weeks ago, and its smart for him to be limited in camp.

I'm a little skeptical if Mike can return to form, but he is 100% worth the shot we are taking on him this season. The fans here are way to gloom and doom. He had hip surgery and was only able to play in 5 games last year, but before that he played in 72 of 80 possible games(16,16, 14,12,14, games played.). Pretty drastic to give up on a guy after one season being injured. Even more drastic when you look at how elite he is when he has played. Imagine if we gave up on Wake after his Achilles?

40. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

No problem with this at all. Matter of fact, for the training camp/pre season it gives ample opportunity to someone to grab by the ***** the center position. Crippled Pouncey played and Ajayi runs for 200 yards, damn.