Dolphins camp comes into view — as does Patriots fixation | Commentary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 15, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-column-20170715-story.html

2. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm all for the confidence but don't create bulletin board material.

[​IMG]

Digital and DisturbedShifty like this.
  3. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

The Pats are full of themselves already.
    I like the confidence and setting the bar high.

Czonka39 and Anvil35 like this.
  4. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

I can't believe Sun Sentinel still expects you to pay for their website... Isn't paying emotionally enough?

5. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

We've been hearing it for 16 years. Stop talking and just do it!

6. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Hyde admits in the article that He and the Media have an obsession with the Pats. THEY ask the players about them, THEY hound the coaches about them. Then THEY write the articles about what the players and coaches say about the Patriots. This is bullshit.

jlfin likes this.
  7. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

Right? I groaned out loud when I read that he said Miami would sweep the Pats. I HATE when players do that. Like you said, have confidence, but don't bite off more than you can chew.

And if that is the case it is up to the coaching staff to tell the players to not buy into it. If they get asked questions like that, be more vague or humble about it. Don't give them the one liners they are looking for.

royalshank and Sons Of Shula like this.
  8. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Non issue. These guys are professionals. I don't think anyone in the league fears the Pats. They do recognize that they are a well coached, sound football team and that you have to bring your A game if you want any chance to beat them.
    This silliness of fearing the Pats is a sentiment left to fans and media.

NCFINZFAN and Pandarilla like this.
  9. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

I think fans care more about "bulletin board material" than the players do.

10. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I don't know if Miami will challenge New England this year. It seems like a wildcard berth might be the best the Dolphins can do.

But if the Patriots suddenly have the kind of injuries Miami experienced last year, you never know. Plus, I know Tom Brady wants to play another five years, but the hits get harder to recover from as you get older. Staying at his current level will be difficult to do. At some point, he has to start to decline.

11. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

The Pats improved their team tremendously this year. All talk means nothing with no action. Time to get off the pot.

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. Sons Of Shula

You should think otherwise.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/3163/bulletin-board-provides-a-motivational-tack

Pandarilla and Digital like this.
  13. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

I think Landry is just saying to be the best you have to beat the best. I understand where he is coming from and he is respectful of the Patriots as well. What are the players supposed to say whoa is me? Not if we are changing this culture to a winning one. Landry is challenging himself and his team mates to rise to the next level. Players, and coaches can only take so many nut kicks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  14. Sons Of Shula

It's best for these declarations or such things to stay in house. You're not being respectful when you claim you're going to sweep a team who has dominated, not only the AFC East, but the NFL for the past 16 years and are the defending SB champs. That kind of gloating is very much disrespectful and NE and Belichick will see it as so and use it accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Goin` Deep likes this.
  15. Fin Fan in Cali

Question to you bro, how much longer are we supposed to be the Pats *****?

16. Digital

Digital Starter

This is the Brian Bosworth Syndrome. As SoS has pointed out, players need motivation for each week, especially the non-marquee matchups or divisional ones they usually win. There is a boost to the team confidence by bold brash statements, but it also motivates your opponents. I'd rather Landry didn't say it, but hey, if it makes the difference in winning 2 more games earlier in the season before we even play New England because the players believe in themselves ... then it can be a net positive.

Belichick is smart to use bulletin-board material ... as almost every NFL coaching staff does. The talent difference in this league is not huge like the media would have you believe. Getting your players motivated and having them operating as a team within your scheme is huge.

The Dolphins had the best example of this in a defensive coordinator named Bill Arnsparger. He was phenomenal. His systems weren't hugely better. His players weren't hugely better. Both were very good. But why he always had success was because he made sure that his players knew exactly what to do and drilled it into them until they played almost mental-error-free football, and dominated on defense. Arnsparger put his athletes into roles that utilized their gifts and minimized their weaknesses. Belichick does the same thing.

But at the end of the day, if your guys are playing at 75% of their ability, you're going to lose. Getting them to play at 90% of their ability usually means you'll win. That bulletin-board motivation is important. The regular season is full of games players aren't really motivated for, so it's the duty of the coaching staff to manufacture a real reason to make the player 100% committed to training, 100% committed to learning their opponent and gameplan, and be ready to give 100% on game day.

17. Sons Of Shula

There is only one person who can answer that.

[​IMG]

We - and 30 other teams - are their ***** until this man decides he has accomplished enough and retires.

18. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

The pats will be favorites in every game this year. Brandon cooks is a much more complete receiver than I gave him credit for. Guy is really good.

19. Fin Fan in Cali

Brother no disrespect meant towards you. I am just competitive by nature, and I am tired of losing to them and seeing a cake walk of the AFC East. Have a great weekend! John

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  20. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Yep. Great talent and another nightmare match-up player. Have to have some real speed and tackling ability in the secondary to slow down those New England receivers.

21. Sons Of Shula

Bingo. I believe this wholeheartedly.

It's the truth that propels this famous comment from Bum Phillips about the great Don Shula: "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

It's also why we witness Belichick thrive year in and year out with other team's castoffs while not blinking at the release or departure of his star players that demand large contracts. It's the coaching that provides the biggest difference b/w NFL teams.

22. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

Yep, and the home run element he now brings to NE just made them that much better.

23. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't know how many times on here I've seen posters go " I am not wasting valuable picks on trading for any damn coach" whenever there's a vacancy. And yet, getting the coach is the only way to bridge the gap. The only one. You should be prepared to do almost anything for the right guy.

24. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Rob Ninkovich stings the deepest for me...Welker was just stupidity to trade him to New England.

25. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Ninkovich was stupid. The welker trade was understandable as the Pats put some outrageous tender on him and we could not match.

Pandarilla likes this.