Dolphins, Chargers ????

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolfanWally, Sep 12, 2017.

1. DolfanWally

DolfanWally FinFan4Life

Hey folks, Praying all you guys down in Florida are safe and escaped any major damage to your homes. Looking ahead to this weeks game how do you think the fins stack up against the Chargers? None of the analysts has us winning that game. Would hate to not be able to take advantage of New England's loss this week. Any thoughts??????

2. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

If we don't stop Gordon and pressure Rivers it will be a very long day. I thought their D looked fast. Flip is that we should be able to complete some passes on them as long as our oline holds up. I think Ajayi could have a nice day.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. kmbond123

kmbond123 kmbond123

this will not going to be easy at all they look --real fast-- i hope we do not come out asleep after our 3 weeks off ----fins up !! we need to play fast !!!!

4. CorduroyG

CorduroyG Rookie

i expect a close game. rivers doesnt scare me, hes in decline. hopefully there will be more fin fans there than charger fans.

5. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Last year was a challenging game. If not for the Alonso pick-6 the Chargers would've won. Perhaps Jakeem Grant gets redemption against them this year (his fumble on a punt return directly set up a Chargers TD drive right after).

6. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

And if Jakeem Grant didn't botch that punt inside the 5, maybe San Diego doesn't score there and we still win.
    So many ifs...

In Gase We Trust likes this.
  7. raving

raving Starter

It's worse that the LA Chargers lost bc it's always tougher to play a team after a loss.

Dolphins are going to play hard and we will score points.

I think it's about turnovers.

If we are right and do not turn it over -or at least win the turnover battle we will win.
    Rivers makes mistakes - as we saw last year...I'm counting on getting a couple - if we can hold on to the ball Rivers will do enough wrong.

Ajayi and Drake are going to get a lot of opportunities to grind the Chargers down...must hold the ball to properly bloody them for 4th qtr kill...

8. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

Tunsil and James better be ready because Ingram and Bosa might be the best pass rush duo in the league.

FinaticalOne and miamidolphins83 like this.
  9. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Exactly, which is why Jay should carry the rock 25 plus times...just pound the Cali boys in the dirt, and wait for Rivers to throw a pick or 2

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They only have 1 quality lb playing and that's brown. It's a major weakness.

Tre Boston is another weakness

11. miamidolphins83

miamidolphins83 Active Member

After watching last night, here are the keys to beating them:

1) Stop Melvin Gordon - The Charges offense is HIGHLY one dimensional outside of Gordon. Rivers was pedestrian if not afforded opportunities in the opponents end of the field because of key (and freak) turnovers. I was surprised at the lack of 2TE passing playing, Gates has slowed down big time.

2) Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram are SCARY - This will be a huge test for our tackles on passing downs and could alter the entire course of the game via a strip sack or throw under pressure as an INT. Chargers had 9 QB hits this game but Bosa and Ingram were the only sacks.

3) J-Train time! - This game can be won on the ground and with some play action passes. Broncos put up 140 yards rushing on the Chargers D. J-Train could easily put up 200+

4) Test their depth a DB - go 4 or even 5 WR and aim for quick slants/hooks, let Cutler get into a rhythm with passes designed to negate the PR.

I think this game is very winnable if we do these things!

High scoring affair:

Final Score: Dolphins 38 - 21 (Ajayi 3 Rush TDs, Cutler 2 TDs + FG)

12. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

If a Trevor-Siemian-led offense can hang 24 on them, a Jay-Cutler-led offense should at least get to 30.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

It definitely runs thru Melvin Gordon and he's not much of a run thru contact back. Dropped that weight to get the player back after his rookie year and goes down on first contact a lot.

Those 2 big WRs run top shelf routes. That's gonna be a problem.

As is Rivers climbing the pocket vs wide pressure and his ability to find space to throw from. Quite a skill of his.

Miami should be better than Denver dealing with bosa and Ingram with our tackles. But pin their ear opportunities we'd be in trouble. Gase will limit the exposure get behind the sticks call draws etc.

Play above the rim with dvp and run the ball with Ajayi 20 plus times. The lb level stinks outside of undersized but very good player jatavis brown.

The boundary corners make business decisions vs the run no inside contain force play. Expose it with toss plays a lead pull guard and ajayi.

Antonio gates looks like a figurehead now.

14. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think this is a huge test for Miami just to stay focused on the game. I think it's a good match-up and one that the Dolphins can win. But, when you're dealing with the hurricane, potential family, housing issues etc. I think it would be easy to lose focus. We saw Houston get hammered by Jacksonville, which was a surprise.

15. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders Well-Known Member

Tom Savage vs a defense that was ranked 6th in total defense in 2016 and vastly improved in 2017. I don't think it was that surprising.

16. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I do not like this matchup for the Dolphins at all. Big WRs, a pedestrian Gates that still will likely shred our LBs, a RB with home run ability, a dink and dunk passer that seems destined to pick up those annoying 3rd and 24 pickups against our Dolphins...for some reason I can't think of this game without envisioning Jay Cutler fumbling with a strip sack.

I did not enjoy typing any of the above.

That said, the players are fired up. A fast start will be crucial for keeping the ball in Rivers' mistake-prone hands. We need some youngsters like Harris to step up and cause them to make mistakes. A Chargers team with confidence is scary. A Chargers team that is rattled is almost comedic to behold.

Can't envision a Patriots loss against the Saints, so this is also a crucial week if this team wants to have some breathing room for the marathon 16-game-with-no-breaks season in front of them.

SO EXCITED DOLPHINS FOOTBALL IS BACK!

17. hoops

hoops exited stage left

It's one thing to have big WRs it's another thing to have big WRs with plus feet and foot work that run excellent routes... Williams and Allen do both

18. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Last years game shouldn't have even been close if not for Grant's snafu's. It will be hard to consistently run against them, especially early. We tried to go in with that mentality last year and fell behind quickly. Tannehill was huge in this game last year completing big plays deep as he was getting hit. Hopefully Cutler can do the same thing! On a side note from watching the game live in San Diego the last 2 years, you have to wrap up Rivers and take him down. We had several would be sacks because the rusher did not wrap up and Rivers bounced off or escaped.

kcbrown likes this.
  19. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Active Member

Screw the Chargers and Dean Spanos.

They need to get in Rivers face and cause him to turn into a spaz. Also stop Bosa and Ingram from getting pressure on Cutler. This is my Super Bowl so they better not let me down!

CalDolFan10x14 and fishfanmiami like this.
  20. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

If we don't establish the run, it's going to be a long day. You have to do something to keep them from going all out after Cutler, set up some play action, much of what has already been said here. Just a gut feel here, but I believe 2 guys they don't talk about will have a big say in the outcome - Grant & Drake. Ajayi will get the lions share of the carries, but I really liked the speed I saw from Drake in the preseason and feel he could bust one on a run or screen.

21. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Howard has got to make a play, Jones can not looks rusty and hopefully we can hide Allen. Gettin pressure with the DTs will be big. If I remember correctly Lippet was big vs Rivers last year.
    Cutler is going to have some issues we are all expecting that, I just hope he knows once Parker eats it sets the table for everyone else.

22. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders Well-Known Member

Our Wrs are going to need to bring their A game vs the Chargers CB group because they're pretty talented.

23. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

I will be at the game this week for what is technically our season opener so I am jacked!

RUN RUN RUN RUN the ball and we should win this game.

The only issue is we could be rusty and SD takes a lead early. That would be very very bad for us.

24. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Seasoned Veteran

No they're not. Even Chargers fans don't think much of their corners. What you saw last night was the dubious triumph of bad QBs on both sides of the ball.

The Phins are going to do to the Bolts what they did to the Texans two seasons ago on put up 40 in the first half.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Their corners look pretty good to me. Good technique good ball skills not really interested in playing the run though. They need to play Desmond king more I guess they will figure that out in time.

Line up in 11 spread them out and attack with Ajayi in the run game until the scoreboard tells you you can't. I would shorten the game. Should be plays to me made in 12 too.

Bosa and Ingram are gonna have the advantage of the snap count take it away from them by making them play it honest with a heavy run dose. Attack the lb level there's only one that can play.

Get behind the sticks limit the exposure with draws and delays etc. chip with the backs and avoid deep drops cause most of ingrams Damage is outside shoulder wide turn the corner.

When they play McCain and the sticks allow it run the ball directly at him.

The strong safety addai can play too

26. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Seasoned Veteran

Their corners are so good that they let a nobody score two TDs on them. I'm not saying we shouldn't run it down their throats, but I am saying that there's no reason the Phins cannot pass at will.

27. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't think either of those two tds were on a corner. I know one was Zone on the lb level which lacks zone awareness. Hayes pullard lacks range is undersized and has no coverage feel and the toomer kid looks like Tarzan plays like Jane short of the forced fumble play.

First td might have been on the safety level. Can't remember

They have 4 NFL caliber corners Williams I guess his name is looks like the weakness short of how they will deal with size on the boundary. One small corner group

28. xSxPxHx

xSxPxHx Scout Team

anyone tailgating? looking to join some folks!

29. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

I think the TEs step up this week for us in the passing game exposing their lb core

30. chefski

chefski Active Member

Think its going to be a tough game being rusty is not going to help us. But I do think if we run the ball well we can get at them by attacking their LBs in coverage Big need is our O Line to play well.

31. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I agree. I am excited to see how Gase utilizes our weapons. Not sure if my expectations are too high or if I am seeing things through rose colored glasses, but it seemed like we really didn't get into high gear last year and haven't even reached our full offensive potential. It's a new year. I want to see us take the gloves off and really kick some ***!

32. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Rivers will never be Brady-like, that alone makes it winnable. Glad to be playing the Chargers and not the Rams

33. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

From pre season, I see our weaknesses as Pass D and OL. We were outstanding stopping the run, but overall Cutler was not very productive behind that OL and our D was shredded. I know it's only pre season, but the OL has regresased from last year and the defensive scheme related to secondary coverage had major flaws in pre season.

Compared to last year
    Run D: Improved
    Pass D: declined
    Run O: Same
    Pass O: ? probably declined

34. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think we can definitely beat the chargers

35. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

I want to see us challenge them early. No wasted possessions going three and out trying to establish the run.

36. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Well with Jay Cutler you will see us challenging them often

37. DrMultimedia

DrMultimedia Doctorate

Could be a tough game, but there are so many unknowns. Chargers haven't gotten to see the Fins in a game this year, but we've seen them. They are going to LA for their first game in their new home, and that could really pump them up. They are coming off a loss. The hurricane could cause Fins to lose focus. Our starters haven't played more than a half in weeks. Chargers are going on a short week. Massive list of questions.

Overall I think this will be a good matchup. As others have said, if we can't run, we are in deep trouble. Rivers is still good. He can pick apart a mediocre defense. Cutler...total unknown, but he can also shred defenses (at least until unbelievably stupid mistakes). I'll go with a 41-38 win in OT, just because I'm still pissed at that game so many years ago. :)

38. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Dolphins need to go out and play their asses off for all the people of Florida. Win the damn game!!!

Goin` Deep likes this.
  39. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

The stadium we'll be playing in only has 30,000 capacity. It's going to look strange.

40. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

I will be at the game.

I think Tunsil & James will do a better job then the Broncos oline on Bosa & Ingram.

We need to get Ajayi going i think Julius Thomas could be good for us...Chargers are kind of soft in the middle of the defense.

Gase basically has had 2 weeks to get a gameplan for the Chargers.