Dolphins Consider Clay Extension

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NyPhan23, Apr 18, 2014.

1. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

Didn't see this posted... but on rotoworld it mentions we are considering an extension for clay... Kinda news I guess? Based on what... I don't know.

The Dolphins are considering a contract extension for TE Charles Clay.

Clay is coming off a career-best 69/759/6 line in 2013 and graded out as a top-10 receiving tight end by Pro Football Focus. A former Jeff Ireland sixth-round pick, Clay has no ties to new GM Dennis Hickey, but is expected to be in Miami's long-term plans. The Dolphins have a history of letting players reach free agency, so there's still a good chance Clay plays out his rookie deal without a new contract

2. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Get it done!

3. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

I concur. He's a good football player and will only continue to make plays. The longer they wait the more expensive he will be.

4. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Pouncey odrick and clay should all be signed to long term deals by the end of the season.

5. roy_miami

I could be wrong but I think we have another year do work on Pouncey. And in light of Starks paltry contract numbers a long term deal for Odrick might be difficult to get done, it would have to be something south of what we paid Starks and Odrick would probably be smart to gamble on a pay raise as a free agent. It wouldn't hurt to try though, if he's risk averse he might jump at the guaranteed money.

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

we do have another year if we pick up the option with Pouncey but I imagine you can sign him cheaper now. 2 years of keeping his nose clean and Pouncey will want Mack money

7. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Rotoworld would not have just come up with this, sounds like a deliberate leak. Hopefully it will happen. Clay was the surprise big improver last season.
    He is probably one of Ireland's best 6th round Draft picks. Charles Clay - the golden acorn.

"His Momma call him Clay, Imma call him Clay, too" - apologies to Eddie Murphy.

8. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

No need to jump too early based on one year of production.

9. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Reshad Jones.

10. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I'm all for locking up talented players before we're in a position to have to throw buckets of money at them to keep them around.

11. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

Reshad Jones is a solid reason as to why not to lock him up, but Brian Hartline is an even better reason as to why you should lock him up!!!

He is our offense, he's our go-to guy and is our TD playmaker. If you want to pay 3 times what he's worth like we did for #82 then wait, but me thinks lock him up now is the wiser choice!

12. RkyDaMan34

RkyDaMan34 Well-Known Member

There's nothing to consider, you lock Clay up ASAP. The kid is a baller no matter where he lines up... He proved it already..

13. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

The guys is the one player on this team that looks like he wants to play football.

14. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Clay makes plays, and Mr Bill actually game planned to take him out of the second Pat's game. That's when you know you have "arrived" as a player. Gotta keep him or, go with Egnew. lol

15. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

[​IMG]

16. roy_miami

Agree that Grimes would win the "most heart" award hands down.

17. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I think the difference with Clay is that he made plays in 2012, and is still learning and developing as a TE, based on how the team had used him.

This is different than Jones having one good year, and somewhat from Odrick, who lost his first year but, had to change from 3-4 to 4-3, and then to DT, where he has shined.

I would extend him, as well as Odrick ASAP. I would do the same with Pouncey on a reasonable deal.

18. PrOpAiN

PrOpAiN It is what it is... Finheaven VIP

It's not Clay's fault he wasn't more involved in game plans in previous seasons. When he was given the opportunity to make plays prior to last season, he always seemed to make the most of his chances. Had the coaching staff involved him in the game plan more from the get go, I don't think we'd even be discussing re-signing him.

It should be a main priority to lock him up now before he has a chance to test the market which could end up costing us in more ways then one IMO.

19. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Agree. In 2012, we only threw to Clay 28 times, catching 18, which included gains of 15, 20, 24, 29 and 31 yards, with 2 TD's.

Last year, he had catches of 20, 21, 21, 28, 39, 40, 45, and 67, with 6 TD's. Many say he is not a seam threat but, I do not know of many who have had that many long catches.

To be fair, he has dropped 6 in 2012, and 7 last year, along with needing to get better in blocking but, is improving in both.

20. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Every time I hear this guys name I want to throw up!