Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard growing along with the defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard growing along with the defense

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
090116-spt-dolphins-024.jpg

Julio Jones, Atlanta’s Pro Bowl wide receiver, had six receptions for 72 yards in the Miami Dolphins’ 20-17 victory over the Falcons on Sunday. The reason: Miami cornerback Xavien Howard did a good job shadowing Jones, especially in the second half when Jones had two receptions for 36 yards.
“X is playing with a lot of confidence right now,” coach Adam Gase said Monday, “and we have a lot of confidence in him … he’s as tough as they come.”
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-20171016-story.html

• According to Pro Football Focus, Howard allowed six receptions Sunday on a team-high eight targets, for 91 yards and a touchdown. (He had a tough matchup against Julio Jones.) For the season, PFF rates Howard 111th out of 114 qualifying corners.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article179140416.html#storylink=cpy

The TD was to the kid Atlanta just signed off their practice squad...who was very fast and had about 6 or 7 yards on Howard when he caught it.

He is playing against the opposing team's best receiver on a weekly basis. I think he's doing great considering his situation (young player learning on the job).

I don't trust him yet. Needs to earn that

I thought he was excellent in his 1 on 1 matchup vs Julio. The defensive scheme has changed drastically as of late. We're getting in the WR's face and harnessing them down field. No more of this 7+ yards off coverage and wr's wide the **** open imediately after the snap. X took his limos in the first part of the season no doubt but the last couple of weeks he has balled out.

X is not the 111 best corner. That’s sheer stupidity. There’s no other way to say it. Sure, he can improve. But he’s got very good skills. Good size, tremendous strength, good athlete, competitive, aggressive kid.

The Julio Jones thing illustrates a great point. Julio is a physical beast and tremendous player. ESPN jokes about it, but you’re trying to contain him at best. He’s going to get his no matter who’s on him. X battled him very physically and performed against a top flight player. You can’t compare X shadowing Julio relentlessly, play after play, particularly where Atlanta obviously tried to establish him early, with another corner covering some mediocrity like a Brian Hartline-ish guy.

Football just isn’t basketball or football. You can’t measure football with maths the same way. Football is more like a symphony where component parts complement each other. Thus, I’m a heck of a lot more skeptical about PFF than I would be reading Fangraphs analyzing a baseball player’s metrics.

X is not the 111 best corner. That’s sheer stupidity. There’s no other way to say it. Sure, he can improve. But he’s got very good skills.

It's not stupidity.. He is allowing almost 90% completions. The truth is that he gets beat very often, has trouble with that slant route and in no way shape or form the second coming of a shutdown corner.

Still waiting for that first career pick. Not sure if he was supposed to get Safety help over the top, but he was torched on the TD to Marvin Hall. I'm not sold on him yet.

PFG doesn't know if it's zone or man. It's a BS after game grading system for people who can't watch football and determine anything themselves.

It's not stupidity.. He is allowing almost 90% completions. The truth is that he gets beat very often, has trouble with that slant route and in no way shape or form the second coming of a shutdown corner.

Agree to disagree. He did really well against Julio Jones. That’s not a guy you’re going to stop. You’re entitled to your opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom