Dolphins' De'Veon Smith: Signs contract with Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' De'Veon Smith: Signs contract with Dolphins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Smith signed a contract with the Dolphins, WKBN.com reports.

Smith wasn't picked during the 2017 NFL Draft, but the Dolphins are going to give him a shot as an undrafted free agent after signing him to a contract. In his senior campaign with Michigan, Smith carried the ball 180 times for 846 yards and 10 touchdowns, and he could provide depth as a big, bruising back that can fight through tackles. That said, his overall speed may hurt his chances of making the final roster.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/MIA/miami-dolphins

Smith reminds me of Frank Gore. He's a grinder. He's not going to beat you by running away from you, he just wears you down with steady runs and every once and a while pops a a 15 or 20 yard run. Don't expect the knock out punch. It's not pretty but you look up and the guy has 80 to 90 yards by jabbing you to death.

Smith reminds me of Frank Gore. He's a grinder. He's not going to beat you by running away from you, he just wears you down with steady runs and every once and a while pops a a 15 or 20 yard run. Don't expect the knock out punch. It's not pretty but you look up and the guy has 80 to 90 yards by jabbing you to death.

:refuse: Not having that. That's a bad comparison. Sorry, but that's just the inconvenient truth.

“And then De’Veon, I’ve never seen — I mean, uh, I’ve never seen a back like this that breaks as many tackles,” Harbaugh said. “Well, maybe Frank Gore, you know, type of guy in terms of ... but he looks tackled by two, three guys, and he’s burrowing and he’s churning, and you know, turning, getting 2 more yards out of every single run today. If it was blocked for 2, he got 4. If it was blocked for 4, he got 6. And sometimes even more than 2 or 3, more than what it was blocked for. It’s just — credible, credible effort by De’Veon. That was — got a lot of heart, a lot of drive. And a lot of talent. And be excited about him next year as well.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...01/michigan-wolverines-deveon-smith/78197244/

We shall see. I'm not saying he'll have Frank Gore's success, just that they have similar running styles. Looks like Harbaugh thought so too.

“And then De’Veon, I’ve never seen — I mean, uh, I’ve never seen a back like this that breaks as many tackles,” Harbaugh said. “Well, maybe Frank Gore, you know, type of guy in terms of ... but he looks tackled by two, three guys, and he’s burrowing and he’s churning, and you know, turning, getting 2 more yards out of every single run today. If it was blocked for 2, he got 4. If it was blocked for 4, he got 6. And sometimes even more than 2 or 3, more than what it was blocked for. It’s just — credible, credible effort by De’Veon. That was — got a lot of heart, a lot of drive. And a lot of talent. And be excited about him next year as well.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...01/michigan-wolverines-deveon-smith/78197244/

We shall see. I'm not saying he'll have Frank Gore's success, just that they have similar running styles. Looks like Harbaugh thought so too.

I'm not taking the word of his own coach who is trying to hype his abilities. I'll just leave it at that.

If it wasn't for Gore and the defense that he inherited, lil' Harbaugh would have never have had the success with the 49ers that he did. Gore is in a another league as a RB compared to Smith.

no man don't do this. save yourself.

If he makes it beyond the first round of cuts, I'll assume it's to eat up carries in an effort, by the staff, to preserve the RB's who will play for Miami in 2017.

If he makes it beyond the first round of cuts, I'll assume it's to eat up carries in an effort, by the staff, to preserve the RB's who will play for Miami in 2017.
That seems like a very likely scenario...Jay is going to grind all season and you are going to want him strong for the playoffs. Limit that preseason wear.

His only chance at making the team is as a short yardage bsck. Sure he is hard to tackle but he is slow and has very poor vision.

Back
Top Bottom