Dolphins Doctors examine Long, Dolphins could be preparing offer for Jake Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Mar 9, 2013.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

2. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

Time to move on from Jake.He's old news,can't stay healthy,and was regressing when he WAS in there.Just My Opinion!!!

3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

That's not an opinion that's a well known fact.

4. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

See ya!!!!

5. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's definitely fact

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

6. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

I'm still shocked by the amount of apathy toward Long on this board. A year ago he was the best player on the team. He gets hurt again and plays injured for a while, has an off year, and now he's not worth even entertaining a deal. Of all the holes this team has, why create another one by letting your former number 1 overall pick walk away? If you can get him for $8-$9 per year, I do it for sure.

7. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

Ireland is playing this well. Let the market dictate his value. If it is low, then we can get him back. If not, there are plenty that could match Long's production (or lack thereof) from last year.

8. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan A True Fan

I think it would be smart for the Dolphins to give Jake an offer of what they are willing to pay him. Let him then go to other teams and let him find out that nobody is willing to give him what he wants. He has stated that he wants to remain in Miami and if the Dolphins are interested in bringing him back, he needs to know for how much so he can decide by Tuesday where he wants to go. I would love to kepp him, but at the right price. I know he has been injured, but if he can stay healthy, I think he is our best option.

9. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

The health doesn't scare me as much as the fit in the ZBS. even at $8 million

10. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

He is worth 7-8 million, because he is damn talented and can be effective in the ZBS. I think he is releasing teams don't want to pay ridiculousness money for lineman anymore. He will probably settle for a much lower deal. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

11. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

oh believe me, some idiot team will fork over way too much money for him. If Long goes, im perfectly happy with Vollmer, Winston or drafting an OT. Long is good, but hes always hurt. And im no doctor, but when you get hurt that much...the chances of coming back 100% and staying 100% for 7 years on is kinda low

12. Digital

Digital Starter

Long is a quality player and once he understands that he's no longer in the discussion for the huge top LT numbers, I fully expect us to resign him. We should, because there really is no plan B. Martin was a very poor RT with lots of help, and there's no way he improves enough to be a quality starting RT in one offseason (although my fingers are crossed). The draft has 2 starting caliber LT's in Joeckel and Fisher, and one very high ceiling but kinda raw LT prospect in Lane Johnson. Now Johnson may very well end up being the best of the bunch and a great LT, but he's going to take his lumps in 2013.

Even at his worst, last season, Long wasn't a bad LT. Teams like Arizona and Philadelphia had bad LT's and their entire OL looked atrocious. Much of that was because they were always helping the LT and got overrun elsewhere. The rest of it was injuries replacing mediocre talent with bad talent. We need to build this team around Tannehill. I'm not excited about the prospect of putting a poor LT on Tannehill's blindside and getting him creamed repeatedly, twitchy/gun shy, or injured. The best move IMHO would be to resign Long and sign Winston for the RT. Then you can develop or trade Martin and as those bookend tackles age, Martin can take over, or you can use the draft picks to shore up other areas.

Martin has to go from Pee Wee Herman strength to Arnold Swarzenegger strength ... that's not going to happen in one offseason.

13. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

He's gonna be back..i feel it ..the michigan ties with ross..nobody is gonna pay him what he wants..almost all the fins money will be used to resign there own players. Ireland draftpicks..the good players but no great players he has gotten..oh well.

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

No he wasn't. And it's been more than one off year. And you don't keep a guy just because he was a number one pick (and a bad number one pick at that). What's more surprising is that there are still those who love this guy simply because he was a number one pick in an overrated position.

15. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Jake Long wasn't worth 15 million when he was a younger player.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

He wasn't a bad number 1 pick at a, please let's keep the facts straight, he's not worth what he wants as a fair deal for himself.

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Anyone is a bad number one pick if the team that drafted him number one overall has no interest in keeping him and that includes Super MArio also

17. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

He did struggle in the zone blocking but that could have been made to look worse with his injuries. I say if he is truly as healthy as he says he is we should give him a 9 mill offer and bring him back. If he improves in his second year in this new system and is healthy he could REALLY boost our offense. Plus it scares me going into the season with no proven players to guard Tannehills blindside. That could be a season long disastrous problem. It's a position that if you are unprepared and undermanned at your whole season will suffer for it. I think with him getting press as a risky pickup we very well may just bring him back. Hell maybe it was the plan all along, feign disinterest, watch his market value drop then surprise everyone and bring him back for a much lower price.

18. Crzynick25

Crzynick25 Seasoned Veteran

Jake will be back with Miami at a modest price, He isnt going to make what he is looking to make in Free Agency, he is the 4th ranked Tackle in this year's free agency class and is coming off two injury fill years. Plus on top of that there are at least 4 Tackles in the Draft projected to go in the 1st round. No team is going to give someone 12+ million a year when there are 7 better options in front of you in your position, and the rookies are 5 years young and cheap with the new Rookie wage cap

19. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

20. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

I do expect Jake back with the strong OT class -> it really put the screws to about 4-5 FA tackles -> looking for big money -> i really can't fault Jake for not excelling in the ZBS as it takes faith in your linemates that means coordination with Richie Rich and Pouncey

I do not believe any team can just walk switch to ZBS and excle in one season

21. TrinidadDolfan

TrinidadDolfan 1st Team All-Pro

Hope it's not the same doctors we had examine Brees

22. KevInMotion

KevInMotion Running @ 24 FPS

I'm with you, his skill set clearly does not work in a ZBS. It was stated well before the season (after Philbin took over) and was made evident as the season progressed.

With that said, there's no deny (when healthy) what Jake is capable of. If we can get him for that 7-9 range, then I think we should keep him.

If he's healthy, and hungry, I believe he could still succeed. Not saying its assured, but not impossible.

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

If not Winston we are looking at but he could sign elswehere by the time we wait for Long.

If Sam Baker does not get signed by Atlanta, we are interested. ZBS in Atlanta.

24. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

He may get a 4 year offer for 8-9M similar to what the Giants LT received. that would be fair as long as he is healthy again.

25. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Evidently the purpose of this "tampering window" is to encourage teams to sign their own free agents before actual free agency starts, its just an opportunity for players to gauge their worth on the open market. Just like the circumstances were fantastic for Hartline, they are terrible for Long. I wouldn't be shocked to see an announcement today or tomorrow that we've reached a deal with him.