Dolphins Doctors examine Long, Dolphins could be preparing offer for Jake Long | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Doctors examine Long, Dolphins could be preparing offer for Jake Long

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins did take modest advantage of the ability to have their own free agents in for visits. The club had doctors examine Jake Long on Friday, presumably to confirm a YahooSports.com report that had Dr. James Andrews saying Long is recovering well and is one month from being 100 percent following his surgery to repair his torn left triceps.Remember that Long also tore his right bicep in 2011 so I expect that was checked out as well.This is not routine. It's obvious the Dolphins still value Long and could be preparing one more offer to the prospective free agent before March 12. I'm told no new such offer has been made at this time.The club also might be willing to respond to an offer Long gets on the open market if it meets Miami's financial criteria. In that case, the Dolphins would be effectively letting another team negotiate the Long contract for them.It's all a long shot. The more likely scenario is Long hits free agency and gets a big offer from another team. But the Dolphins are confident they have a good value set for Long and the market will bear that out.The market for players cut prior to free agency, most likely as salary cap casualties, does not have to adhere by the unrestricted free agency rules. Those street free agents can sign anytime. To that, the Kansas City Chiefs reach a deal with former Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, according to ESPN.

I'm still shocked by the amount of apathy toward Long on this board. A year ago he was the best player on the team. He gets hurt again and plays injured for a while, has an off year, and now he's not worth even entertaining a deal. Of all the holes this team has, why create another one by letting your former number 1 overall pick walk away? If you can get him for $8-$9 per year, I do it for sure.

Ireland is playing this well. Let the market dictate his value. If it is low, then we can get him back. If not, there are plenty that could match Long's production (or lack thereof) from last year.

I think it would be smart for the Dolphins to give Jake an offer of what they are willing to pay him. Let him then go to other teams and let him find out that nobody is willing to give him what he wants. He has stated that he wants to remain in Miami and if the Dolphins are interested in bringing him back, he needs to know for how much so he can decide by Tuesday where he wants to go. I would love to kepp him, but at the right price. I know he has been injured, but if he can stay healthy, I think he is our best option.

The health doesn't scare me as much as the fit in the ZBS. even at $8 million

He is worth 7-8 million, because he is damn talented and can be effective in the ZBS. I think he is releasing teams don't want to pay ridiculousness money for lineman anymore. He will probably settle for a much lower deal. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

oh believe me, some idiot team will fork over way too much money for him. If Long goes, im perfectly happy with Vollmer, Winston or drafting an OT. Long is good, but hes always hurt. And im no doctor, but when you get hurt that much...the chances of coming back 100% and staying 100% for 7 years on is kinda low

Long is a quality player and once he understands that he's no longer in the discussion for the huge top LT numbers, I fully expect us to resign him. We should, because there really is no plan B. Martin was a very poor RT with lots of help, and there's no way he improves enough to be a quality starting RT in one offseason (although my fingers are crossed). The draft has 2 starting caliber LT's in Joeckel and Fisher, and one very high ceiling but kinda raw LT prospect in Lane Johnson. Now Johnson may very well end up being the best of the bunch and a great LT, but he's going to take his lumps in 2013.

Even at his worst, last season, Long wasn't a bad LT. Teams like Arizona and Philadelphia had bad LT's and their entire OL looked atrocious. Much of that was because they were always helping the LT and got overrun elsewhere. The rest of it was injuries replacing mediocre talent with bad talent. We need to build this team around Tannehill. I'm not excited about the prospect of putting a poor LT on Tannehill's blindside and getting him creamed repeatedly, twitchy/gun shy, or injured. The best move IMHO would be to resign Long and sign Winston for the RT. Then you can develop or trade Martin and as those bookend tackles age, Martin can take over, or you can use the draft picks to shore up other areas.

Martin has to go from Pee Wee Herman strength to Arnold Swarzenegger strength ... that's not going to happen in one offseason.

He's gonna be back..i feel it ..the michigan ties with ross..nobody is gonna pay him what he wants..almost all the fins money will be used to resign there own players. Ireland draftpicks..the good players but no great players he has gotten..oh well.

I'm still shocked by the amount of apathy toward Long on this board. A year ago he was the best player on the team. He gets hurt again and plays injured for a while, has an off year, and now he's not worth even entertaining a deal. Of all the holes this team has, why create another one by letting your former number 1 overall pick walk away? If you can get him for $8-$9 per year, I do it for sure.

No he wasn't. And it's been more than one off year. And you don't keep a guy just because he was a number one pick (and a bad number one pick at that). What's more surprising is that there are still those who love this guy simply because he was a number one pick in an overrated position.

Jake Long wasn't worth 15 million when he was a younger player.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

He wasn't a bad number 1 pick at a, please let's keep the facts straight, he's not worth what he wants as a fair deal for himself.

Back
Top Bottom