Dolphins expected to add a kicker and punter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to add a kicker and punter

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...allink_textlink_apr2013_pbpstubtomypbp_launch

• The special-teams room is going to be much more crowded this offseason. The Dolphins already have signed long snapper Patrick Scales, 25, to compete with 34-year-old John Denney, and multiple sources tell us the Dolphins also plan to sign a kicker and punter.

Brandon Fields (sixth in the NFL in net punting in 2012) isn’t going anywhere, but the Dolphins want to limit his action in the preseason and keep him fresh. Denney will be given the benefit of the doubt if he and Scales perform similarly.

But Carpenter, whose missed field goals last year led to losses against the N.Y. Jets and Arizona, is at risk. We hear that the Dolphins are high on two in-state kickers with big legs – Florida’s Caleb Sturgis and Florida State’s Dustin Hopkins, the NCAA’s all-time kick scorer. Cutting Carpenter also would give the Dolphins $3 million more in salary-cap space.

Brandon Fields has been one of our best players the past 5 years or so. Sad state of affairs but true. He won't be going anywhere. Saving $3m on Carpenter who has declined rapidly the past few years makes too much sense not to.

The article says Fields isn't going anywhere, just that they want to give him breathers in camp to keep him fresh. I assume the punter they add will be an undrafted free agent.

The Kicker will probably be a 7th round pick with a legitimate chance to unseat Carpenter.

Kicker is almost a certainty, and I wouldn't rule out one draftee and 1 free agent battling it out in training camp. Carpenter picked a bad time to start having problems.

Also, don't be surprised if they draft a kicker from outside the state.

I kinda don't understand drafting a punter though. Bringing in a camp leg undrafted, sure, but why waste a pick?

I kinda don't understand drafting a punter though. Bringing in a camp leg undrafted, sure, but why waste a pick?
I don't think a draft pick is going to be used on a punter, the article just says they plan on adding one. Not necessarily in the draft, the undrafted route is likely the way they are planning to go.

The article says Fields isn't going anywhere, just that they want to give him breathers in camp to keep him fresh. I assume the punter they add will be an undrafted free agent.

The Kicker will probably be a 7th round pick with a legitimate chance to unseat Carpenter.

Good thing, Fields is about as good as it gets.

if you want Hopkins or Sturgis youv got to consider them in rounds 5 or 6.. which im absolutely fine with.

Fields has been solid, not too worried about him, but Carpenter should have some competition this year. Something tells me that we will not be relying on the kicking game too much this year.

Back
Top Bottom