Dolphins expected to add a kicker and punter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nublar7, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...allink_textlink_apr2013_pbpstubtomypbp_launch

2. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

Better not touch Brandon Fields.

3. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

I can understand kicker but perhaps they are just looking at punter in case ours gets hurt.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I agree bro.

4. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Good bye Carpenter, time to move on and get someone cheaper.

5. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

Brandon Fields has been one of our best players the past 5 years or so. Sad state of affairs but true. He won't be going anywhere. Saving $3m on Carpenter who has declined rapidly the past few years makes too much sense not to.

6. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

7. Nublar7

The article says Fields isn't going anywhere, just that they want to give him breathers in camp to keep him fresh. I assume the punter they add will be an undrafted free agent.

The Kicker will probably be a 7th round pick with a legitimate chance to unseat Carpenter.

8. Digital

Digital Starter

Kicker is almost a certainty, and I wouldn't rule out one draftee and 1 free agent battling it out in training camp. Carpenter picked a bad time to start having problems.

Also, don't be surprised if they draft a kicker from outside the state.

I kinda don't understand drafting a punter though. Bringing in a camp leg undrafted, sure, but why waste a pick?

9. Nublar7

I don't think a draft pick is going to be used on a punter, the article just says they plan on adding one. Not necessarily in the draft, the undrafted route is likely the way they are planning to go.

10. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Please draft Dustin Hopkins in the 7th. He was amazing at FSU.

11. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Good thing, Fields is about as good as it gets.

12. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Hopkins would be a nice addition. Hopefully he can continue to be effective in the NFL.

13. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

if you want Hopkins or Sturgis youv got to consider them in rounds 5 or 6.. which im absolutely fine with.

14. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Brandon Fields is the Rembrandt of punting.

15. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

Fields has been solid, not too worried about him, but Carpenter should have some competition this year. Something tells me that we will not be relying on the kicking game too much this year.

16. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

lol Watch Jacksonville take one of the top rated Kickers in RD3

17. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

Bring in some competition, maybe they will find a gem.

18. fsurules21

fsurules21 New Member

I really hope that if we do add a kicker, that it would be the one from Florida State. He was a beast at kicking long field goals and also at getting touch backs.

19. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

I think Carpenter is gone. Not even close to being worth what hes being paid.

20. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Punter? What the hell for?

Now kicker is a great move...Carpenter needs to get cut...We can't have him ruining any games this season...

21. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Am I being Naive to think that 20 extra punts during the preseason is enough to warrant signing a punter to give Fields a reprieve? How many times you think he punts in practice.... let him sit a few days during then. every roster spot should be used trying to upgrade talent.... backup punter just doesnt do it for me.

Carpenter.... walking papers pal.. you and your 2.7 million dollar cap figure can go away as soon as we find a kicker remotely decent.

22. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

This..I don't think you can wait until the 7th round for either of these guys.

23. awfulwaffle

awfulwaffle Banned Hammered

If we can find a replacement to save the money, do it. It's not like they could be worse........

24. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I have a nice solution. Louisiana-Lafayette has a really great kicker named Brett Baer, who also is a great punter. We could sign him and have him do both the kicking and punting in preseason, and then have Fields take over the punting full-time once the regular season gets near, so we don't wear him out. Here is some info on Baer - Watch the video of him kicking it from his own 35 through the uprights....65+10 yard end zone....75+ yards.[video=youtube;OSCs9go7GzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSCs9go7GzE[/video]

http://www.ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3273

#40 Brett Baer
    Position: Place Kicker
    Height: 5-11
    Weight: 182
    Class: Senior
    Hometown: Brandon, Ms.
    High School: Brandon

Record Book: Enters season having made 11 straight field goal attempts, three short of Mike Shafer’s school record set in 1974. . . his 18 field goals were the second-highest single season total in school history, one short of the record of 19 by John Roveto in 1977. . . his 46 extra points were also second best, four short of the record of 50 by Drew Edmiston in 2008. . . his team-leading 100 points in 2011 were the most by a kicker and third-best overall, trailing the record 114 by Tyrell Fenroy (2008) and Brian Mitchell (1988). . . it bested the old record of 81 points by Roveto in 1977. . . owns a career field goal percentage of .926 (25-27) and would rank among all-time NCAA leaders but is short of the required minimum of 45 attempts (record is , 43-49, .878 by Bobby Raymond, Florida, 1983-84). . . is seven-for-nine in onside kick attempts, recovering four himself.

2011 (Junior): Semi-finalist for the Lou Groza Award, which is presented to the nation’s top kicker, after going 18-for-20 in field goal attempts and 46-for-50 on PAT efforts. . . also earned second team All-Sun Belt honors as both a kicker and punter and second team All-Louisiana by the LSWA. . . tabbed the team’s special teams MVP. . . named the LSWA Special Teams Player of the Week after wins over Nicholls State and Florida Atlantic. . . led the nation in field goal accuracy (10 or more attempts) at.900. . . punted 79 times for 3,185 yards and a 40.3 yard average, owning 12 kicks of 50 yards or better. . . had 27 punts downed inside the 20, 12 inside the 10 and nine inside the five with just five touchbacks. . . was four-for-four on onside kick attempts with UL recovering efforts vs. Troy, La.-Monroe, Arizona and San Diego State. . . connected on a career-long 50-yard field goal as time expired to give UL a 32-30 win over San Diego State in the New Orleans Bowl. . . named Sun Belt Conference Special Teams Player of the Week three times during the year. . . the first came after he broke a 34-34 tie against Florida Atlantic (10/1) by making a 37-yard field goal with no time left to give the Ragin’ Cajuns the win. . . received second honor on Oct. 3 after converting an onside kick late in the fourth quarter that led to the game-winning touchdown in a 36-35 win over La.-Monroe. . . closed regular season with his third award after making a 20-yard field goal and averaging 47.6 yards on five punts at Arizona (11/26). . . only missed field goals came in the third quarter vs. FAU, going wide left from 48 yards and hitting the left upright from 25 yards. . . earned third letter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  25. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

Carpenter is gone, he was the tuna version of Joe Nedney (capspace wannabe kicker who replaces a solid guy)

We never should have gotten rid of Stoyanovich and we never should have gotten rid of Mare. STUPID moves that cost this franchise wins.

26. Alabama Gm

Alabama Gm Member

27. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm all for drafting a good kicker, and replacing Carp. That'd be a sensible move by Ireland

28. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Uhm sorry, but Mare's departure was long overdue when he got dumped. He was a complete choke artist and I'll take Dan Carpenter any day of the week over that guy. At least when Carp blows a game winning field goal, it's a friggin' long one.

29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

It's a very weak year for Canes players but the two kickers are actually worth bringing to camp, particularly the punter Botts. He could be a convenient rester for Fields, along with providing Botts some exposure for other teams.

The kicker Wieclaw is considerably more of a longshot. He had one poor stretch last season when his mechanics were off. Otherwise he's certainly above average at this stage. However, I couldn't project him to seriously challenge Carpenter, and obviously that's the target.

I still like Carpenter and wish we hadn't priced him into the vulnerable list. He's got skills that are underrated around here, like effortless distance and terrific initial height. Also reliable mechanics. He never lines up poorly, unlike virtually every other kicker in history. When Carpenter misses it's a leg problem, like Mike Mayock's persistent reference to arm talent.