Dolphins expected to show interest in Cook

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by broccoli rob, Mar 6, 2013.

1. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Although most of us figured, I haven't seen any articles regarding our interest in him, yet. Like I said a few days ago, id be thrilled with Wallace, Cook, and a first round CB :hclap:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5165/jared-cook

Beat writer Ben Volin expects the Dolphins to show interest in free agent Jared Cook.
    The Dolphins are hungry for playmakers and have money to burn. After using broken-down pickup truck Anthony Fasano as his pass-catching tight end last season, Cook would feel like a Maserati to Ryan Tannehill.

2. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

Wallace& Cook in free agency.

Trade up for Dee Miliner. Show me you have balls Ireland.

3. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

This is better news then the Wallace news, imo... Cook would change our offensive philosophy completely. What a weapon he would be.

4. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

Not a surprise. Would be nice to have a TE like that again in a Dolphins Uniform.

5. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

isn't Cook looking for WR money?

6. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

This just in: The Dolphins are expected to show interest in everyone.

7. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Please make this happen, this kid is hungry to go next level.

8. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

From what I've read, he was looking for Wr franchise tag money, havent heard anything about him expecting WR type money on a long term contract... if that helps...?

9. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

I'm hoping he was just doing that WR stuff to not get franchised which apparently worked. He is not getting top receiver money, I don't think he gets top TE money. Its not like he has put up insane numbers or jaw dropping plays constantly. I'd love to have him at Hartline's 6.5mil/yr. Let Hartline walk away. Then spend more money on Wallace though I don't love the 11-12 mil/yr price tag. Worry about how much that effects us down the road with the salary cap, ala the Jets right now.

10. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

If the Titans franchised him, Cook wanted to be tagged as a wr and not as a tight end. The difference is about $4 million.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Broken down pick up truck? I'd say he was more like a refrigerator. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Fasano sucks.

12. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

As I understand it, he didn't want to be franchised by the Titans and he threatened to go to arbitration if the Titans placed the dirt cheap TE franchise tag on him, since apparently he split out wide on a really high number of his snaps last season and would have tried to make the case that the Titans should have tagged him with the much pricier wide receiver tag. They didn't want to deal with it, and thus didn't franchise him.

I honestly don't blame him. That would have been a ****ty deal for him, especially with Jake Locker throwing him the ball.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i doubt this gets very far once they hear those contract demands...

14. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

good player but we would face lots of competition, especially from the rams, Fisher drafted Cook didn't he?

15. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

We better be jingling his nuts on Mar. 9th. Let Hartline go and use that money on this kid

16. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Exactly. Cook just used that loophole to wiggle out of Tennessee where he didn't want to play. The market will determine his value, and since he's not a WR he won't be getting WR money. That said, TE salaries should be escalating more now that they are used more prominently in today's NFL offenses.

17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

How about we don't give Hartline 7 million per year, give it to Cook instead and sign Wallace? Improvement.

Get an early round wide receiver while we're at it too.

18. finfanaz

finfanaz A True Fan

If we landed Wallace AND Cook... that would be WOW. What a difference that would already be going into next year. I would be ecstatic...

19. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

"After using broken-down pickup truck Anthony Fasano as his pass-catching tight end last season"

LOL, that isn't Ben Volin who is quoted on saying that, is it?

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

rumor is the rams unexpectedly are not interested...kind of surprising...but this dudes looking to break the bank and he hasn't even remotely sniffed the production to demand so...underused or not i need better #'s to pay top money

21. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Hmm. Being that Ireland is known to be a good Lineman drafter, maybe we "are" letting Long and Smith walk and using that cap space on the skills positions, hmm? Update my mock!!! :)

22. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

No. Volin knows that Fasano wasn't used as a pass-catching tight end last season.

23. jd13

jd13 Starter

Resigning Hartline has nothing to do with signing Cook or any other TE. We have 37m in cap space so we have enough to sign Wallace, Cook and Hartline. Ireland knows we need playmakers around Tannehill so hopefully he'll get it done.

24. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Cook was rather unproductive in TN, in spite of all his talent. I'd still take my chances on Justin Keller and his health, because, at least he produced when healthy, in spite of the QB.

25. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I just looked at the "source" they got this story from

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
    Sounds like the #Titans didn't want to mess with arbitration on JaredCook, who will now hit free agency. Expect #Dolphins to showinterest

not exactly set in stone then, just a casual comment

26. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Jake Locker is really ****ing bad. He's so bad that I'm still embarrassed, ashamed, and confused as to how the Titans took us to the damn woodshed the way they did.

He is putrid.

27. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

That game still bugs me today. We lost to a scrub team!!! That was a disgrace the way they laid down on that Sunday Afternoon. But staying on topic, Cook has had Young when he was playing out of his mind, early in his career, as well as, Hasselback and still didn't produce. I think you're really gambling on signing Cook as opposed to Keller who's been much better when healthy.

28. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

Wallace Hartline Swope Bess Cook... **** YEAH

29. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

For those that have watched this guy play is he a little upgrade over Fasano or A lot?

30. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Awesome, get Cook and draft our future WR's!

31. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Cook is a true seem threat type TE, so I guess, you could consider him an upgrade. But Fasano is a very Durable and very Solid all around TE. It wouldn't hurt to keep Fasano around.

32. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

It kinda goes like this, first I'm a Fasano homer so I tend to hold the guy in a little higher light than most but..........if we are talking pass catching TE Cook hands down has more speed and mismatch potential. Cook has the potential and skill to be in the top 3 in the league in terms of big play ability, he isn't there yet but he could be. Fasano has better hands however, I'm not certain there is a TE in the league with better hands than Fasano, he has dropped something like 8 passes in the last 4 years or something uncanny like that.

Cook needs to work on his run block for sure, he is raw and grades out pretty low in terms of run blocking TE's but he has gone on record stating he wants to improve that aspect of his game. Fasano is a better than average run blocker, Fasano is right up there with the best in the league in terms of run blocking. Fasano also has the edge on pass blocking but to me in todays NFL the TE should have limited pass blocking responsibilities anyway. 2011 Fasano was held in more than any other TE and that was due to the inept ability of the right side of our o-line, it was horrible. Cook is rarely asked to block and is used from he slot so much that he wants to be tenured as a slot receiver and not a TE in terms of the franchise tag.

So it goes like this, if you land Cook you need a blocking TE (very easy to find) and if you keep Fasano you need a seam stretching TE (not so easy to find). To be honest a pair of Fasano and Cook would be one of the best tandems in the league but the pairing of Cook and Eifert would have the possibilities of being they best TE combo in the league. If you can land Cook for 5M to 6M a year it is a no brianer and at that point Fasano becomes highly replaceable. Fasano at that point would have to be come back at discount 3M a year but I honestly think he might fetch 4 to 5 from someone else.

The possibility of Cook on the roster with Fasano or Eifert gives me a chubby (it should also scare the hell ouit of Egnew).

33. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Does cook think he can wide receiver? Because on physical stats alone he looks like a upgraded version of brandon marshall at 6'5 with 4.49 speed.

34. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

I had no idea he was this big and/or fast!

35. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Interesting idea, but how many picks would we have to sacrifice to get there? Like it, but weary of wasting away potential mid-round WR prospects. Would probably be safer to target Eiffert 1st rd.

36. MIDolphins#1

MIDolphins#1 Rookie

Let's face it guys, we need to make a splash this year to compete with the big boys, not just be content being 7-9 two years in a row. If this means overpaying for Wallace and Cook (and whomever gets either of them will), then so be it. Aren't you guys tired of being conservative on the field and in the front office? It is like Dave Wannstedt on the field and in the front office. We did well last year by not biting on last year's recycled second tier QBs and drafting Tannehill for the future, but if we do not want to see our top 7 defense go to waste, we need to take some changes with offensive talent. In the meantime, if we let Reggie Bush go, I am praying that Lamar Miller is the real deal, because Daniel Thomas seems at best a change of pace back!

37. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

When did Jared Cook all of a sudden become Jimmy Graham, or Rob Gronkowski? I see people wanting to give cook 6-7 million, are you kidding me? The most Tony Gonzalez ever made was about 7 mil a year and he's one of if not The best TE ever to play in the NFL. I know Cook has some good measurables but I would under no circumstances pay that much for a guy who has never caught more than 49 passes, 760 yards, or 4 td's in one season.

38. Dolphinokie

Dolphinokie Active Member

I say draft the te from notre dame

39. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

Cook career stats: link.

40. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

He's always had that potential. Coming out in the draft, Steve Spurrier was comparing Cook to Calvin Johnson as an athlete.