Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry

Yeah if it’s two first rounders all we bought was time.

Damn that’s quite the compensation price to acquire

Yea, the JPP reference brought back some memories.

I just don't think this ends well for us cap-wise.

PhinFan posted a great link. Keep in mind though, those rules are for the protection of the team. Even though they would be entitled to 2 firsts if another team tried to steal Landry, our FO might elect to take lesser compensation in order to avoid paying the 16 mill or avoid finding themselves in the same situation again next year with the prospect of losing him without any compensation (other than the possible 3rd round comp pick)

Tbaum might settle for just 1 first round pick, or a pick and a player, or whatever floats his ****ed up boat.

I just dont trust Tbaum to do the right thing.

What’s he trying to say Albert?

A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player’s new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team. So it might be tempting for the Redskins to take the tag-and-trade approach with Cousins. The idea would be to get back more for Cousins that the compensatory draft pick in 2019 (possibly a third-rounder) that would result from him leaving in free agency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hise-tag-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.8bbbd3afe82a

I think Jeff think a trade is a viable option- I need to see if they can trade him without those 1st as compensation or not.

I didn’t see him list trade at all. I saw rental, team friendly which doesn’t make much sense to me given the timing, least likely he said monster contract extension.

Then someone came in and said von Miller and Demarious thomas both tagged both signed monster contract extensions

A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player’s new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team. So it might be tempting for the Redskins to take the tag-and-trade approach with Cousins. The idea would be to get back more for Cousins that the compensatory draft pick in 2019 (possibly a third-rounder) that would result from him leaving in free agency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hise-tag-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.8bbbd3afe82a

So that reads like we can let other teams do the dirty work and have first right of refusal to match.

Possibly acquiring a 2 if we don’t or maybe we squeeze out a 1 but I see that as unlikely considering the contract

I didn’t see him list trade at all. I saw rental, team friendly which doesn’t make much sense to me given the timing, least likely he said monster contract extension.

Then someone came in and said von Miller and Demarious thomas both tagged both signed monster contract extensions

Well he was responding to this question

Anybody think a tag and trade is in play?

I've thought it might be possible. Maybe TB afraid of other teams sniffing and trying to get something back.

Obviously we are NEVER going to get two 1sts. And I seriously doubt even a 1st. But it might be possible to get multiple picks (2nd and 3rd).

I'm sure most would not want anything less than a 1st, but I think we need to consider the cap implications of such a long term signing. I personally think we need to shift our offensive focus to RBs and TEs carrying more of the load. And while Landry does address a lot of our short yardage game, we need more presence in the middle of the field from a smash mouth style and less edges.

He will not be playing here for 16 million next year, no way in hell. I am guessing they will sign him to a deal with a lower cap hit in 18 and take advantage of the space in 2019 and 20. They can also still rescind the tag or trade him. This just ensures that we won't lose him for nothing as I think there is zero chance they rescind it.

I have been on record against resigning Jarvis as I think he is replaceable for how much money it would cost. However, this team has preached keeping it's own since day 1 and I do see an extension happening unfortunately. The terms will be interesting. Also, for the love of God leave Suh alone. I want that out in 2019.

I want more than a 2 but if he’s getting paid top 5 money on the new terms with the new team I seriously doubt we can do better.

They may be sitting on dvps 5th year decision waiting on this to play out. When does that have to be decided?

Tag today could be in relation to timing for that and weighing options

Good at least now we can't spend this money on garbage players like more Kiko's. Maybe they can work out a trade so we don't lose him for nothing if not I'm happy he's staying. If he extends for 13 to 14 million and becomes the 3rd highest paid WR in 2-3 years as inflation rises he'll be the 10th highest paid WR.

Back
Top Bottom