Dolphins Game or Kids Game (Need advice)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by XXXSURTAINXXX, Sep 4, 2008.

1. XXXSURTAINXXX

XXXSURTAINXXX THE SACRIFICIAL DOLPHIN

I need you guys help making the right decision.....Believe it or not I am torned.

I coach a youth league team here in the city I live and my sons both play for the 2nd and 3rd grade team. I coach the 4th graders. BTW Keith Loneker is a coach on a rival team. He played for the Rams and the Falcons. Also in a bunch of movies to include "leatherheads"

For some strange reason this league likes to play on Sundays. My boys play at 11:15 cst and my team plays at 12:15 cst.

Now I have direct TV and I will be recording the game, but I know someone is going to let the score slip prior to me watching it.

I know this might sound easy to you guys....but what in the hell do I do?

2. DanStillStands

DanStillStands Seasoned Veteran

sometimes life gets in the way of football.. Like this sunday a very good friend of mine is having his son's 3rd birthday party from 1-4. Yea i know great timing!! but i will be at the party becasue that is what friends/family do. i will be taping the game as well. Its going to be hard to not find out a score but i will try and just watch the game when i get home.

3. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

I'm sure your kids won't mind you staying home to watch it. After all, we're playing the green vermin, not the Falcons. :D

4. FinsFan74

FinsFan74 Cement Shoes Distributor

A nice set of earplugs won't hurt....or maybe those headphones that the guys wear to guide the planes into the terminals ;) If all else fails, wear a sign that says "If you tell me the score of the Dolphins-Jets game, I may be forced to thrash you"

5. XXXSURTAINXXX

LOL, It really is a hard situation. Who the heck play Sunday youth games? Man!!!

6. evenflow58

evenflow58 Scout Team

You made a committment to coach and be a father, you go to your kids' games. (That probably sounds more harsh than I meant it to. It's supposed to sound like advice, not condiscending.)

7. FinsFan74

I forgot the title "Dolphins game or kids game". I would definitely without a doubt attend your kids game. The Dolphins will always be there for many more games. It's a team full of grown men who won't be disappointed if you're not there. Likewise, your kids are counting on you to be there for their game. They trust that you'll be there for them and will be hurt and letdown if you're not. Kids grow up so fast and you'll eventually regret not being there for them if you choose the Dolphins game

8. finbeerfan

finbeerfan Scout Team

My son's games were always on sat, Did they tell you b/4 the season the games were on sundays? I would try talking to the league after this week and see if they can play on sat, or else you will have this problem all season.

9. Phinja

Phinja You Can't See Me...

You're torn not torned..... I kid I kid.

You have to do the kids game. Just try to avoid ANY NFL talk during the day; and don't even think about the Phins. If you float those thoughts out there, someone is bound to pick up on them and start talking about it!

10. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Bah, are you married? If you are, then you have no choice are you will hear it for the next 5 years :) lol.

In all seriousness, gotta do what you got to do. Kids are only small once, enjoy em while you can.
    Chubbs

11. XXXSURTAINXXX

Man it's hard to miss a live game. i didn't know games were played on Sundays until we went to a league meeting 2 weeks ago and they passed out schedules. Even then I didnt catch on until I started planning my month.

I called to verify and just as s*** stinks the games are on Sundays.

Yeah I know it's the right thing to do. My 6 year old, whose number is 54 and plays Mike and favorite player happens to be Zach....is pretty excited.

But I swear if I hear any scores, I hope they have their mouth peices in.

12. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

I had to make a different, but equally undesirable decision....

I am in the wedding party for my sister-in-laws wedding. As a gift to all the groomsmen, they got tickets to an Eagles game (south jersey so everyone is Eagles fans....except me of course). Tickets are for opening game, so I had to make a tough decision, and now I will be at the Linc 1pm on Sunday. :(

13. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP

stay home and watch the game

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

easy. watch the game and make it up to the kids all week except on monday, thursday and saturday since football is on those days. :up:

15. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 Banned Hammered

Why don't you just put them in a different league?

16. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Pull a Nick Saban and bail on your team!!

17. fishfanfromjerz

fishfanfromjerz Starter

go home and watch the football game! screw the kids! let them know early on that they don't mean ****......it'll hurt them more to learn later in life that daddy cares more about some overgrown men playing a game for millions of dollars, who probably could care less about their fans, than his own children....besides whats it gonna hurt if we have a few more kids on the street who turn to drugs, gangs, etc., because they felt unloved at home .....also, to put the cherry on top of it all.....while youre home....drink heavily, so that when your wife comes home to yell at you for not caring about your kids, you can be so drunk you wont give a crap what she says.......then she can divorce you 3 years down the road

18. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I'm sorry, but this is such a stupid question. You go to your sons game without thinking twice about it. I'm just as big of a Phins fan as anyone, but your kid will be much more dissapointed if you don't go to his game than the Phins would be if you didn't watch it when it originally aired. On a side note though what youth league plays games on Sundays??? LoL, I have coached youth football for going on 4 years now and have never heard of Sunday games.

19. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

All Pop Warner football around me is played on Sunday's. Makes sense to me, High School plays on Saturday so the kids play on Sunday (usually on a high school field).

20. Sosa62

Sosa62 Rookie

Easy Coach the Kids No Doubt... Cant let Sports your not playing in run your life.. LoL thats how I feel about it anyways..

21. MinnesotaFin

MinnesotaFin Down since 1988

Gotta go to the kids game. The wife will kill you if not.

22. IceStorm

IceStorm The High Tech Bong Monkey!

You only have one chance to be there for your son. This is that chance. Football and the Dolphins will always be there on TV.
    But you'll never get a chance to make it up to your son if he thinks you picked a football game over him.

Spend it with him, not with a tv that cares less if you live or die.

23. Ed Norton

Ed Norton Scout Team

I turned away Giants tickets to watch the Fins on TV:lol:

I just can't believe they would have the games during the NFL games. Can't you have all the parents and coaches get together and work something out? Did the moms schedule this:lol: What about Sirius radio or something? I don't subscribe to any radio stuff or know much about it but I thought they offered NFL games. Maybe you could get the game on some kind of portable device (I can't keep up with them these days)

24. Simone007

Simone007 Starter

No doubts... follow your family

25. XXXSURTAINXXX

LOL it's only one league here

26. XXXSURTAINXXX

man, it wasn't your fault. <hug>

27. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

man family first always.
    The dolphins will always be there, your kids will grow up faster than you think.

28. obsessivefinfan

obsessivefinfan Banned Hammered

Ask yourself this...if we lose by 30, will it have been worth it?

29. Canadianfishfan

Canadianfishfan FinHeavean VIP

Well said. Sure it will suck not seeing it live, but you're taping it. Good thing about that is you can rewind and rewatch any play you like over and over. Like I do with each preseason game to analyze players.

Children are special, and these moments only last so long. Enjoy them.. there is a reward to selfessness.:up:

30. burger13

burger13 FinHeaven VIP

works both ways....what if the kids lose by 30? ;)

31. sn9ke.eyes

sn9ke.eyes Starter

Easy decision, go to your kids games and coach in yours. Tivo the phins. You may want to start every conversation you have with other adults with something like "I'm tivo'ing the dolphins game so please don't talk about it, Hi, nice to see you."

or
    "If you mention the Dolphins game, your kid sits the bench"

32. Dolphins561

Dolphins561 FinHeaven VIP

NOTHING takes the place of kids... Your family... I would go and watch the game on TiVO regardless if you know the outcome.

33. baddraft07

baddraft07 Starter

LOL love the Tshirt idea..... kids without a doubt

34. DolphinBob

DolphinBob Rookie

I also coach youth sports and had a situation come up where I had to choose coaching my U15 basketball team in a tournement or go to my son's soccer playoff game in Corpus Christi.
    I coached basketball.

35. Challenger74

Challenger74 Starter Donator

Go to your kids game! Or you could buy tickets to the fins game and take your son. And years from now your son will say, "Dad, remember when you took me to see the Dolphins destroy Brett Favre and the stinkin' Jets? That was such a great day! You are the best dad in the whole wide world!!!"

36. FinsFan74

Wait I've got it!!!! Fertilize the field the night before the game and put up a sign saying "stay off"....then when the kids are disappointed that the game will have to be called off, suggest that it be played in your backyard and just have a tv easily accessible through a window or sliding glass door.....it's a win win situation for all!

37. Mannyjr23

Mannyjr23 Starter

If you ask me he's 100% right bro. Go and spend time with your kids.

38. Ronnie23Brown

Ronnie23Brown New season, new start

Shouldn't be a hard decision really, these are your kids after all. But I have the same situation, my son's U10 soccer team has a game at 1pm (his 1st game of the season). So, I'll be the good Dad and watch, but will make constant trips to the car to listen to the game on Sirius. And his game lasts only an hour.

39. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

Feel 4 ya...gotta bounce from Game#1 at halftime, for my boy's first day of Fall Baseball! It's about the kids.

(Besides...there's always the 'Divr'!)

40. Mudd

Mudd Rookie

you cut their balls off and put them in softball next year..:up: