Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by CRAZYDOLFAN305, Mar 27, 2013.

1. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Looks, like Ireland can finally get full credit for the 2012 draft, for either it's success or failure, which is yet to be determine.

Ireland said "the plan" was to spend a year learning the kind of players coach Joe Philbin likes and needed, and then building a plan around it. He gave Philbin and capologist Dawn Aponte credit for that plan's execution, which began this offseason.

"I've got a lot of ideas and I have a strong idea of what I'm going after, but I just can't tell you Sean," Ireland said to the season-ticket holder. "Certainly, as I've said before, I believe in drafting core positions."

"There is strength in core positions. Pass rushers, tackles, receivers, corners," Ireland stated when addressing the 2013 draft. "I like drafting when the core position meets a need, and it meets the grade. And I try not to reach for a need position if I don't have to.

"We don't draft vertically, we draft horizontally and that's a whole different story to explain that," Ireland said, referring to his approach of taking the best available player based on his tier system.

To explain the tier system briefly - based on my understanding - each player on Miami's draft board is placed in a tier. Elites are tier one. Possible or eventual starters are tier two, then backups and special team contributors, and so on, and so on. Miami uses their draft picks to select the highest tier player at positions of need.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-plans-to-draft-expensive-positions-20130327,0,262439.story

2. DeafAngelboy23

DeafAngelboy23 Well-Known Member

How long has GM Jeff Ireland been around? Nothing happened that was miraculous for us.

3. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Wait, so you mean we're NOT taking a long snapper at #12??? :confused:

4. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Except when Pennington felt on our lap. The first designated Franchise quarterback (Henne) didn't pan out, so everything else, never came into place. And he's been solely responsible for everything wrong with the Dolphins since 2008. And since he's been around, nothing good as ever happened to the Dolphins.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Ryan David Pontbriand (born October 1, 1979) is an American football long snapper and center who most recently played for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Rice University, and was drafted in the fifth round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. He has the distinction of being the highest-drafted long snapper in the history of the NFL Draft.[1]

5. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

basically he just outlined the Bill Parcells school of drafting. This off season doesnt exactly match what he is talking about though.

6. DeafAngelboy23

DeafAngelboy23 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland from the Dallas Cowboys days? No wonder they sucked us dry.

7. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah, lets just fire him after a promising offseason so far

8. ThatKidKaptaine

ThatKidKaptaine Member

Tavon please!!!!:lol:

9. jimmy42jack0

jimmy42jack0 Starter

I'm beginning to believe I want Jeff Ireland as GM for life just to anger those who hate on the guy more than the rebels hated Darth Vader

10. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

and just ignore his other seasons. He has to be judged on his total body of work.

11. Marino420TD

Marino420TD Seasoned Veteran

Interesting that he said pass rusher first.... considering he hasn't drafted one the entire time he has been a GM.

12. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Basically what that means is that Ireland doesn't believe in drafting BPA.

He believes in drafting BPA according to their definition of need.

Big glaring view into why Ireland chose not to fill holes with excellent talent and value this FA.

Because he's gonna draft "need" this year. According to their "tier" definition of BPA at "need positions."

Not the best draft philosophy. At. All.

LD

13. jimmy42jack0

jimmy42jack0 Starter

So Vernon isn't a pass rusher? Or odrick?

14. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

To be fair Philbin did completely change our offense and defensive system to WCO and 4/3 D.
    He needs a completely different style player than Jeff was use to under Parcells and when Tony was here.

It took a while to adust I think but this draft should show what Jeff has learned and if he is truly committed to this style of play.

15. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

That is true, but we already know we are stuck with him for at the very least this season. I'm tired of giving him grief, but before FA, I was a hater for sure

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Still not sure what he proved. I mean he did go out and get the top free agent but beyond that there are more questions than answers.

17. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Odrick certainly isnt a pass rusher. We found that out last season. Nor was he drafted to be one.

18. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

OK, I agree that his first couple years here were shaky, but honestly his last 3 drafts in a row have been quite good...

Mike Pouncey, Jared Odrick were both good 1'st round picks.... Reshad Jones in the 5'th round... these three players are all up and coming stars in the NFL...

Lamar miller and olivier vernon both played well last year... then you have players like Daniel thomas, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Koa Misi, Charles Clay, Johnathan Martin, John Jerry, Olivier Vernon..... These are all players just taken in the last 3 years!!! a lot of them are starters, competing for starting jobs, or they are key backups... I'm not even going to bring up Tannehill because I believe he was pressured into that one, but it's still up in the air whether or not that works out...

I mean I must admit the selections of Pat White, Jake Long over Matt Ryan, and Chad Henne were obviously fails.. but his last 3 drafts have been nothing short of elite. The names don't lie.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  19. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

:bobdole:

Other than Martin, that list is horrifying. Second and third round picks shouldnt be "key" backups and on the verge of eating their way off the team.

And where did all of this Odrick love come from? Did i miss the Hall of Fame sending him a yellow jacket?

20. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

I agree with you. But Odrick is not a budding star by any stretch...gotta see that the GM's learning and I (maybe naive) believe he's making some positive adjustments. This draft will be very telling.

21. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You have to look at drafts free agency the who she bang. The list you brought up with is not that impressive.

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

The bottom line is this franchise really went down the ****ter after Marino/Shula retired and from 2000 to 2012, the Patriots pretty much have controlled this division with the exception of a couple seasons when the Phins and Jets stepped it up. But I think we are in position to reclaim the AFC East IF Ireland can make some smart decisions between now and September. Philbin had to deal with the players brought in by the Tuna and others...Ireland also has made some bad decisions, but I also think he has done a pretty decent job as of late.

23. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Banned Hammered

Don't you know Ireland was only been in charge since yesterday or some such excuse for 4 straight losing seasons

24. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

This means first 5 picks are in no particular order:

2 CBs, OT, DE, and WR

RB in 4th
    TE in 5th

25. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

If that's the case let's sign Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders. Based on their total body of work they must be better than everything what we have. In case you haven't realized it yet: this is the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately"-league. If we go to the Championship game this year nobody will care about the 2008 draft. I am not saying we should give Ireland a lifetime contract but why not wait until after the season and re-assess Ireland then? So far I like what the team has done this offseason. We will only know in February 2014 if it pans out.

26. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I smell smokescreen bigtime. All it does is confirm everyone's confusion on who we will be drafting.

last week we heard Rhodes doesnt neccessarily fit. now Cb is big need. But we draft horizontally. okie dokie. it doesnt mean anything except that we will draft a position of need, which has been true.

27. jlfin

jlfin old pro

and what kind of players were Sparano and Parcells looking for? I believe the coach has significant say into what type of players he wants to coach. The GM's job is to find the best talent that fits the coaches philosophy. If said philosophy is outdated, then the team will not succeed.
    You certainly can't have a coach and GM diametrically opposed in their approach to player procurement.

28. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Ireland to draft "Expensive Players" in 2013

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-core-positions-draft

Pretty good read here if you're interested in getting an idea of what we are actually going to do in the draft this year.

There is certainly a case that he might go for a WR, but with the signings we made, I believe it is more likely to see a corner or a pass rush. That's fine by me because I've had us taking Bailey in the 2nd round all year. If he can sure up the defense through the draft and help build for the future now, we are going to be competitive for a long time.

BTW, I was someone who was hoping they'd take the gamble on The Honeybadger, but by the looks of it, according to what Jeff said, that probably won't happen. I hope they trade the 12th and one of our 2nds to move up for Milliner.

29. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

This signals a lower tier receiver pick to me! 3rd or 4th round. Absolutely no way they pick a receiver with the first 2 picks!

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

I doubt they draft a QB! I'm positive they will draft all the other positions the question is just in which order

30. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Omar Kelly article...pass.

31. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

It's Omar, but what Ireland says is what he says, so I'm investing more stock into his quotes, as opposed to Omar's analysis.

32. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

NFL.com has a nice read about our draft as well. In that one we are targeting skill positions like WR, CB, Pass rushers. No mention of RB though. I have been thinking we would take OG Cooper if he's three at 12 but I am getting the sense momentum is moving to Austin. I just think his play making ability is too good to pass. Not sure if a pass rusher will be there at 12 or if a quality enough CB will be there. All the dynamic rushers will most likely be gone and only Milliner at this point seems worthy of a CB going that high. So Austin seems to the favorite IMO anyways.

33. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

You are taking stock on a GM's word implying what he may do on draft day?

Don't

34. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

I thought that's what everybody does lol? Unfortunately him and Armando are embedded deep in the franchise, they have access.
    Hence, I have to decipher through their articles to read only the quotes.

35. Marino420TD

Marino420TD Seasoned Veteran

Odrick was not drafted to be one. I'll give you Vernon who was not particularly good at it. Still, drafting 1 pass rusher in 5 years in today's NFL??

36. finfan54

and yet most teams draft this way. thats why teams get desperate for QB's late in process.

37. finfan54

lt

38. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Unless one was in the Dolphins organization, and has first hand knowledge, the only thing I think we can judge Ireland on is when
    he's been CLEARLY in charge, with Parcells gone. In my mind, it began with last year.

39. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I said it before and I will say it again, Ireland is an idiot and only got to where he is at because of nepotism. I am just waiting for him to screw up this draft.

40. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Sad to have that much lack of confidence. Can understand why but it is still sad.