Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland plans to draft expensive positions

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Looks, like Ireland can finally get full credit for the 2012 draft, for either it's success or failure, which is yet to be determine.

Ireland said "the plan" was to spend a year learning the kind of players coach Joe Philbin likes and needed, and then building a plan around it. He gave Philbin and capologist Dawn Aponte credit for that plan's execution, which began this offseason.

"I've got a lot of ideas and I have a strong idea of what I'm going after, but I just can't tell you Sean," Ireland said to the season-ticket holder. "Certainly, as I've said before, I believe in drafting core positions."

"There is strength in core positions. Pass rushers, tackles, receivers, corners," Ireland stated when addressing the 2013 draft. "I like drafting when the core position meets a need, and it meets the grade. And I try not to reach for a need position if I don't have to.

"We don't draft vertically, we draft horizontally and that's a whole different story to explain that," Ireland said, referring to his approach of taking the best available player based on his tier system.

To explain the tier system briefly - based on my understanding - each player on Miami's draft board is placed in a tier. Elites are tier one. Possible or eventual starters are tier two, then backups and special team contributors, and so on, and so on. Miami uses their draft picks to select the highest tier player at positions of need.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-plans-to-draft-expensive-positions-20130327,0,262439.story

Wait, so you mean we're NOT taking a long snapper at #12??? :confused:

How long has GM Jeff Ireland been around? Nothing happened that was miraculous for us.

Except when Pennington felt on our lap. The first designated Franchise quarterback (Henne) didn't pan out, so everything else, never came into place. And he's been solely responsible for everything wrong with the Dolphins since 2008. And since he's been around, nothing good as ever happened to the Dolphins.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Wait, so you mean we're NOT taking a long snapper at #12??? :confused:

Ryan David Pontbriand (born October 1, 1979) is an American football long snapper and center who most recently played for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Rice University, and was drafted in the fifth round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. He has the distinction of being the highest-drafted long snapper in the history of the NFL Draft.[1]

basically he just outlined the Bill Parcells school of drafting. This off season doesnt exactly match what he is talking about though.

I'm beginning to believe I want Jeff Ireland as GM for life just to anger those who hate on the guy more than the rebels hated Darth Vader

Interesting that he said pass rusher first.... considering he hasn't drafted one the entire time he has been a GM.

Basically what that means is that Ireland doesn't believe in drafting BPA.

He believes in drafting BPA according to their definition of need.

Big glaring view into why Ireland chose not to fill holes with excellent talent and value this FA.

Because he's gonna draft "need" this year. According to their "tier" definition of BPA at "need positions."

Not the best draft philosophy. At. All.

LD

To be fair Philbin did completely change our offense and defensive system to WCO and 4/3 D.
He needs a completely different style player than Jeff was use to under Parcells and when Tony was here.

It took a while to adust I think but this draft should show what Jeff has learned and if he is truly committed to this style of play.

and just ignore his other seasons. He has to be judged on his total body of work.

That is true, but we already know we are stuck with him for at the very least this season. I'm tired of giving him grief, but before FA, I was a hater for sure

Back
Top Bottom