Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin has retained Special Team Coach Darren Rizzi | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin has retained Special Team Coach Darren Rizzi

I am OK with Rizzi returning, since Special Teams were better this season. Carpenter and Fields are solid players, they did block two punts and Gates seemed to improve as the year went on.

ST still sucked balls

Clyde Gates was 13th in the NFL in avg KR, Davone Bess was 5th in the NFL in PR Avg, Brandon Fields was 3rd in the NFL in Punt Average and 4th in NET Avg, Dan Carpenter went 29-34 on FG's which is 85.3%, We ranked 10th in covering Kickoffs and 13th covering Punt Returns, and we blocked a punt for a TD this year.

How did that suck?

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Hopefully we have a real kick and punt return...

Bess is completely useless.

Again, Bess was 5th in the NFL this year in PR Avg, thats pretty good for useless.

The special teams units definitely were trending in the right direction. Rizzi inherited a total cluster problem from about as bad of an assistant (Bonamego) as you can find. And they trended positively once Rizzi came on. So, that's something. At the same time, I still wonder if we could do better. I wouldn't call our units as stellar, but at least they were headed in the right direction. So, I'm open minded on Rizzi for another year. This year on ST was nothing like the amateurish 3 years under that idiot Bonamego.

I haven't seen any blocked punts by the Dolphins special teamers in years before this year. Rizzi's done a good job.

We do need an impact kick returner however.

I always LOL when i see someone defend a special teams coordinator by putting up stats showing about how great the punter and kicker are.

Our special teams, kick coverage especially, were definitely far better than they were the year before so it seems like the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom